PDA

View Full Version : newtek webinar and little complain

Soth
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi,
Just got email from NewTek about webinar. Great, but some of your customers live outside America and they have wicked phone numbers not compatible with your Internet form and they are living in few more time zones than this 3: EDT,CDT, PDT...

My company bought 5 Core subscriptions, no one like to be ignored.

I have put some poor US citizen phone number and I am waiting for webinar. :)

http://demo.newtek.com/

geothefaust
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
NT is doing a webinar?

Are you not certain that is actually a KURV webinar, which is an entirely different company?

geothefaust
07-17-2009, 12:15 AM
My company bought 5 Core subscriptions, no one like to be ignored.

As a friendly word of advice, waving this kind of stuff in someone's face doesn't make you likable. In fact, I am less likely to help someone if they are snotty and wave that kind of stuff in my face. Avoiding pissing someone off is probably a good idea. :)

Just my two cents.

shrox
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
NT is doing a webinar? ...

Yes, NewTek is doing a Lightwave "webinar", I signed up after getting the email.

Soth
07-17-2009, 12:36 AM
As a friendly word of advice, waving this kind of stuff in someone's face doesn't make you likable. In fact, I am less likely to help someone if they are snotty and wave that kind of stuff in my face. Avoiding pissing someone off is probably a good idea. :)

Probably. But please try to understand my frustration when, for 10 minutes, I had to try to reedit all my phone numbers with web form during my holidays in Netherlands on tablet PC with no keyboard. :hey:

Do not think that anyone will get too upset about it. Just another voice from outside world. Hey NewTek, there are people living outside America, you know? And all, maybe little bit sarcastic, but still in friendly way. ;)

geothefaust
07-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes, NewTek is doing a Lightwave "webinar", I signed up after getting the email.

Hey I didn't get an email. :(

geothefaust
07-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Probably. But please try to understand my frustration when, for 10 minutes, I had to try to reedit all my phone numbers with web form during my holidays in Netherlands on tablet PC with no keyboard. :hey:

Do not think that anyone will get too upset about it. Just another voice from outside world. Hey NewTek, there are people living outside America, you know? And all, maybe little bit sarcastic, but still in friendly way. ;)

Oh definitely man. I hear that. a perfect storm can cause many different outcomes. I snapped at a prospective client today which was probably a bad idea, too. But that perfect series of events and conditions were all layed out and gearing me toward the snapping point, heh.

Anyway, what is this webinar supposed to be showing? When is it? How come I didn't get the email?! :help:

Soth
07-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Anyway, what is this webinar supposed to be showing? When is it? How come I didn't get the email?! :help:

http://demo.newtek.com/

geothefaust
07-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Well hot damn. I am going to sign up for this. I am available that day/time.

Thanks for sharing the link! :)

Soth
07-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks for sharing the link! :)

np :)

dee
07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I can't sign in, getting this:

The following errors were found
Phone and area code required
Correct invalid entries to continue

I filled out every field with an *, the phone field has +4940<phone number> in while 49 is the country and 40 the area code.
:grumpy:

andrew_y
07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey dee,

Try your international number now.. should work as intended.

dee
07-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Andrew, it worked.

oobievision
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
is it core only webinar?

JeffrySG
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Just my two cents.

I didn't read it like that at all just fyi. I just read it as he is a paying customer that supports NT - with 5 seats - and is hoping to get the benefits that everyone else in the US can get.

I hope you can view the webinar. I think I'd just rather watch it as a video after it's broadcast. If it will be available to do so...

Matt
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I have put some poor US citizen phone number and I am waiting for webinar. :)

I put in NewTek's main phone number to get around it, then mentioned it in the comment.

Be funny if they try and ring themselves! :D

Greenlaw
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
From the email:

Discover how you can leverage the powerful capabilities of LightWave v9.6® in your production pipeline.

Join Emmy® Award-winning LightWave artist Jarrod Davis as he demonstrates some of the killer new capabilities in LightWave v9.6 including the hair and fur system, materials nodes, real camera lens, joints, IK and much more.

Take a sneak peek at the latest developments in LightWave CORE®, plus an interview with Simon Percy and Andrew Bishop of Darkside Animation live from London.

What: Free Live Video Webcast
When: Thursday, July 23, 3PM EDT / 2PM CDT / 12PM PDT

Access is limited. Register now for this informative, live Webcast.

Greenlaw

shrox
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I put in NewTek's main phone number to get around it, then mentioned it in the comment.

Be funny if they try and ring themselves! :D

Even funnier if they call twice.

-EsHrA-
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
just got my reminder in email...

starts in about an hour i guess?!.. :)

mlon

Larry_g1s
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I signed up a couple days ago & looking forward to it. Good idea on marketing.

lwaddict
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Not sure how good an idea it is since this will be the second one that was publicly not functioning...and has the Tricaster name all over it.

Regardless of what the real cause is, I don't think these are going too well.

Here we are...anyone able to see it yet?
Nothing here.

Ahhh, this takes me back to the Core reveal days way back when.

Larry_g1s
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Working just fine here. ;)

lwaddict
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
ARGH...fine. And thanks by the way.

I'll go check the firewalls and routers and fight with the IS team. ARGH.

lwaddict
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Nope...
after some checking and fiddling...
nothing's wrong here except for the broadcast.

Even checked with another LWer who isn't able to get on.

Soth
07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
ive seen only last five minutes :(

noticed that reminder that i got today had most of timezones (except GMT), I did not seen it on time

anyways ill see the recorded version, hope will appear there soon

lwaddict
07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Soth:
AND I WAS LATE ONE HOUR, MANAGED TO WATCH ONLY 5 LAST MINUTES!

Please NewTek, next time put few some more timezones in the invitation, I did upgraded LightWave, bought the CORE and have missed the show... because did not converted time properly. I know it is my foult but I would not be able to do so without big help from NewTek.

Well I know this is very (too?) emotional post, but LightWave is my job and hobby and I am emotional person. Will finish the post and leave it for record.

Ouch, only the last 5 minutes?
Well, good news is that you got to see that much. :gotpics:

We're still waiting for [email protected] to email us or something. It says, "Should you run into any difficulty joining the webinar, please email [email protected] for help."

With what? My dinner? It's been well over an hour and I think it's over but won't be able to tell until we get that email...er...phonecall? uh...yeah.

Zane Condren
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Anyone that had issues with the stream please contact me at [email protected] with what Browser you were using. Some users were reporting that IE6 was not working correctly with it. We have recently moved the page that hosts the streams to a cloud based server solution so we should never have a capacity issue like that happened with the Core Launch Stream.

Zane Condren
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Also there will be an archive of this for on demand viewing within 24-48 hours.

dee
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM

This is from the chat:

you will be able to view an archive of the broadcast later at demo.newtek.com/archive.php

Soth
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Also there will be an archive of this for on demand viewing within 24-48 hours.

Cheers :)

Thanks for upgrading the timezones and sorry for getting (so) upset. Some other companies are sending outlook calendar file attached to the email. That works just great for me. Problem with timezones is there is so many, and GMT is one hour different to CET. Too much to handle for poor user. :D

Zane Condren
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Some other companies are sending outlook calendar file attached to the email. That works just great for me. Problem with timezones is there is so many, and GMT is one hour different to CET. Too much to handle for poor user. :D

The Outlook calendar file is a good suggestion and we have thought about it but with email filters being what they are these days it seemed to cause more problems with spam filters, also the new solution we use to auto-reply doesn't do attachments.

evenflcw
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I do think it would be a nice gesture to atleast provide GMT/UTC time. But perhaps it would be more efficient to simply have a live count down for every event! From that anyone can figure out the time for the event in their timezone without having to look up what EDT/CDT/PDT etc is. All you have to do is look at your watch and add on the hours left.

evenflcw
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Btw, I didn't have any big issues with the stream. But I would still like to say that it played more smoothly from www.ustream.tv (no skips) than demo.newtek.com (skipped every 5 sec or so). Whether it was the choice of player or other stuff on either page that caused the discrepancy I don't know. Firefox 3.0.12.

Soth
07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I do think it would be a nice gesture to atleast provide GMT/UTC time.

They did in second mail.

God idea with the countdown.

I wonder why information about the stream was not on CGTalk, CGene... or even LightWave Community and NewTek Announcements....

And archive shall be on youtube and vimeo usstream is not the most popular...

Vong
07-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Oh sure, you guys complain about GMT, but us MDT people get left out all the time!!!!! You don't see us complaining, do you?!?! :)

Overall I liked the webinar... Missed the first 15-20 minutes because everyone was driving like it was Sunday. There were a couple of times when it stuttered, but I chalked that up to good old UStream. If there's going to be more, I'd like to see a higher resolution version placed online for download. (IF possible)

Guess I'll go see if that archival link works.

lwaddict
07-26-2009, 08:41 AM
so...
where's the archive?

-EsHrA-
07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
correct,

our 'shortly' is very different from nt's 'shortly'..

mlon

Zane Condren
07-26-2009, 09:06 AM
We re-encode the webinars using the full quality source files to be a much higher quality then the live stream. The Archive version should be ready on Monday.

jat
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
for those who didn't see it you missed absolutely nothing............a little of the current LW useage from a UK company....some walk throughs of fibre effects, radiosity cache etc....same thing as last time and the Core Stuff was minimal and disappointing.........some VERY basic questions from users and that's it.......

-EsHrA-
07-26-2009, 11:33 AM
what? no work on sunday??!

:)

mlon

Zane Condren
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
For everyone's info this webinar was marketed to and designed for LightWave customers that had not yet upgraded to LW9.

NewTek is committed to delivering a wide range of Live Web events in the future. So all your constructive criticism is not falling on deaf ears.

lwaddict
07-27-2009, 07:40 AM
We re-encode the webinars using the full quality source files to be a much higher quality then the live stream. The Archive version should be ready on Monday.

Uh, and that's a delay why again?
Don't forget that you're talking to 3d designers, animators, and uh...editors.

Sorenson, Toaster, SpeedEdit, etc...uh, two of the named ones are yours...all recode pretty quickly and if the download folder (couple clicks here and there to create and place) was premade, BAM, recoded and done right?

I know this sounds like major whining, text bites for that, I'm just stating the facts here.

lwaddict
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
For everyone's info this webinar was marketed to and designed for LightWave customers that had not yet upgraded to LW9.

Hogwash... emails went out to current owners of LW9 with the lure of more CORE information. So let's not just sweep this under the table with the old, "Well it wasn't intended for you" excuse.

Again, not trying to come off whining, just pointing out the obvious.

NewTek is committed to delivering a wide range of Live Web events in the future. So all your constructive criticism is not falling on deaf ears.

Glad to hear it and we, the long time users, know you mean well...
I don't think it's the slowness of delivery, or the lack of IE6 support for the webinar, or even the lack of great CORE content we're getting upset about here though...

I think it's the fact that you represent for us with this stuff...
you are basically our first good foot going forward, the Lightwaver first impression...
without a solid show, great presentation, and well thought out and pretested delivery system we, the customers, our back to explaining to our customer base just why we use this software.

We all know, but the world (remember this is all on the www) first sees what you, Newtek, does to represent itself and it's users.

Off my soapbox now, got animating to do this week.

Matt
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
And there's me feeling bad for the last few days over what I said, and then being cut down by Jay! ;)

lwaddict
07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Well yeah, there's always that. LOL.

But hey, personal attention...ya know?
It's what you paid for right? :beerchug:

Chuck
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Hogwash... emails went out to current owners of LW9 with the lure of more CORE information. So let's not just sweep this under the table with the old, "Well it wasn't intended for you" excuse.

Again, not trying to come off whining, just pointing out the obvious.

Zane is correct, the primary purpose of this webinar was to market v9.6 to folks who had not purchased the upgrade, or who were considering LightWave as a primary 3D application or an addition to their 3D toolset. Even among that group there is considerable awareness of LightWave CORE, so some reference to CORE would be expected.

Yep, v9 owners were emailed since they are in fact part of the registered user database, but no, they were really not the group that this effort was designed and intended for. There will be webinars designed for that group when LWCORE has made sufficient additional progress. Marketing is very anxious to take up that opportunity, and regularly urges the development team onward toward that goal. Most folks seem to have understood the intent and seem to be fine with it; Marketing could certainly review how to pitch their communications so the intent will be more clear for those folks who might otherwise have expectations that would be disappointed.

Glad to hear it and we, the long time users, know you mean well...
I don't think it's the slowness of delivery, or the lack of IE6 support for the webinar, or even the lack of great CORE content we're getting upset about here though...

I think it's the fact that you represent for us with this stuff...
you are basically our first good foot going forward, the Lightwaver first impression...
without a solid show, great presentation, and well thought out and pretested delivery system we, the customers, our back to explaining to our customer base just why we use this software.

We all know, but the world (remember this is all on the www) first sees what you, Newtek, does to represent itself and it's users.

Off my soapbox now, got animating to do this week.

I can see why you'd perceive a delay if you think it's just re-encoding going on, but that's not the case. The presentation was Thursday afternoon local time, some reshoots and re-editing went on later Thursday and into Friday, and the final prepped version will be online today (or maybe already is online today, I haven't checked yet). Given the work going into this after the actual streaming, the delivery time is more than if simple re-encoding were all that was going on.

The web team will of course be looking into the issues folks have reported this time around, and will be working to address those before the next such webinar. Our apologies for any inconveniences this time around.

lwaddict
07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
That's all anyone wanted...answers.

You rule Chuck.

But you've got to admit, there's a lot that can be done as far as preparation and public relations here.

I'm just a squeeky wheel...
but when a hinge squeeks alone, it doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the whole door.

People shrug and move on.

I'm here for the duration and just want this company to shine, like we all know it can, already.

Thanks again for some info.

dballesg
07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Marketing is very anxious to take up that opportunity, and regularly urges the development team onward toward that goal.

I liked the webinar, and even when I noticed it was not directed to LW 9 users I think was good. Specially the part with Dark-side Animation.

I know my comment could hurt some feelings. But sometimes marketing is absolutely wrong about that kind of requests.

What about to put them on cryostasis, or put the development area under Level 5 clearance and give marketing Level 1? :devil:

Or maybe better, put them to create more centric webinars for LW 9.6 users that cover the new and darkest areas of LW, like rigging, Fiber FX, the use of FBX and Collada (with other apps) or the radiosity cache for animation.

There are a couple of threads in the forums that could give them a good start.

David

cresshead
07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
so when it is ready it will appear here?

http://demo.newtek.com/archive.php

Chuck
07-27-2009, 03:40 PM
so when it is ready it will appear here?

http://demo.newtek.com/archive.php

It's ready, and that is the correct link for those who want to see it now in the archives.

cresshead
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
watching now...thanks for the update!

cresshead
07-27-2009, 05:39 PM
the darkside skype vid was great...really positive stuff in there as per ususal from andy bishop...met him waay back in 1997-98 when they did a open day just after lost in space fx were wrapping up...

i say that part was the best part of the vid, the core aspect was okay nothing huge for people to grab ahold of and the first segment which covered lightwave was abit more like a history of lightwave...still good but maybe the link up with darkside spun in first THEN some hands on lightwave would play much better...then ending with core...

good stuff though all in all.

calilifestyle
07-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Yes i agree the Darkside vid was great. good to hear their also working with messiah.

btw can i get one of those black shirts with lightwave logo

calilifestyle
07-28-2009, 01:44 AM
one more thing. this kind of thing should be done more often. Lightwave cast. at lest once a month talk to user/studios and cover some of the aspect of their creations.

lwaddict
07-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Just finished.

Not bad at all boyz... not bad at all.

:)

mav3rick
07-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Hey I didn't get an email. :(

Me neither...

speismonqui
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
About 9.6 webinar...

Lightwave with icons?? looks like modo to me... at least Jarrod davies was clear that we can use them or not. Im sure I wont use them at all, I love LW text buttons, but I can understand that maybe some users (like the ones who will migrate from maya hehehe) would have their icons on the top horizontal tab and feel comfortable with it.

I would love to see a little bit more on CORE, instances and twist deformer are already shown in the "old" Q1 videos in CORE webpage. How about something else? a render maybe? animating a box from here to there? a screenshot of the node editor or node system?

PLEEEEAAAAASEEEEE????

caesar
08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
The CORE "brush" deformer tool demoed was a new one...I just wanted a million poly sphere in the demo ....!