PDA

View Full Version : Basically need image on clear poly

bcicio
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Pretty much an amateur here occasionally getting the opportunity to use LW for project work, so learning curve tends to easily fade on me. Been trying to figure out how to do this for a couple of days now, reading, searching tutorials, trying things, etc. with no luck.

I have a library of tree species images that have beautifully detailed alpha channels. I create a rectangle, make a UV, and apply the image to the UV. In the "Edit Image" option of the Texture Editor I make sure the alpha is enabled. (As a matter of fact, if I choose "alpha only" I see the alpha channel - so I know it is in fact being recognized.) When I send it to Layout and render, the alpha works great in that I do not see the photo background color between the open tree branches - but I do still see the base color of the polygon surface. Is there a way I can apply the alpha to the poly so the camera also does not see the poly surface color? I'd like to be able to keep the branches looking wispy and avoid having to use a rough clip map method. I'm trying the poly cris-cross method of making trees for a fairly large scene which will containing a variety of species of trees. Basically, I guess I'm trying to apply a decal to a poly with no base color. I've tried node edit of the surface color, connecting Image alpha to color and thought for sure I was onto something, but it didn't work. Thanks.

Bill

bcicio
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow.. I finally figured it out. I needed to invert the alpha in the node edit.

dwburman
07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Here's another option:

In the Image editor you can right click on an image and create and instance of it. You can set the instance to Alpha only and use that in the transparency channel.

Of course, using nodal is more elegant and it's good that you figured it out. :)