PDA

View Full Version : Ffd?

Dracorat
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope this is the place that newbies to LightWave can ask questions? If not, direct me to the right place please.

Hoping that it is:

I can't find a way to FreeForm Deform. Is there an FFD in LW? If not, are there any third party tools for it?

Greenlaw
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hope I'm not sounding too naive, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. Do you have a link for another program that demonstrates this feature?

Greenlaw

IMI
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I think he means FFD as in 3ds max's FFD Box > Free Form Deformation.
It's a modifier, an adjustable cage of sorts which acts upon vertices as if they were soft selection. You drag the points on the cage, and it acts on the vertices of the mesh, giving a smooth result, as opposed to dragging vertices and ending up with jaggies.

Well, if I'm right about that, LW doesn't have anything like that built in, although the magnet tool and the dragnet tool are similar in that they act smoothly on parts of a mesh and can be moved around and have a limited range of influence.

Also, an object in sub-patch will act in a similar way, without the cage... since the sub-patch basically is a cage around your mesh.

There might be a 3rd party plugin to simulate max's FFD Box, but I'm not aware of any. Flay.com is always a good starting point to search for plugins.
http://www.flay.com/

SplineGod
07-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Sadly no. Possible solutions depend also upon whether you need it in layout or modeler.

Dracorat
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Thank you guys for your answers.

The feature I'm looking for is exactly what you described, IMI - I wish that there was such a thing - stretching is cool too, but grabbing a row of nodes in an FFD box and moving them is multitudes easier than grabbing a bunch of nodes on the underlying geometry and messing with falloff settings. (You get around using falloff in FFD based pretty solely on how dense you make the FFD Cage)

Once again, thanks.

--Draco