PDA

View Full Version : Creating poly groups for Zbrush?

Algae998
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey all,
I have some models that Im going to be sculpting and I really like the poly groups option in Zbrush. I could make the groups once I import my model but Id think itd be easier to create them in Modeler. Is there a way to export a model with poly groups (especially if I have the model UV mapped)?
I thought thats somewhat what a selection set was, but apparently thats only for Modeler and doesnt export.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

IMI
07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
The "create part" tool is the same idea as selection sets, but acts on polygons instead of just vertices.
Also, vertices in selection sets can be parts of multiple selection sets, whereas a polygon "part" can only belong to one group at a time.
And you can export selection sets with an OBJ file - It should ask you if you want to export selection sets as groups or something like that. Use "OBJ ZBrush Mode" for your OBJ export, if using LW 9.6. Earlier versions of LW didn't have that option for OBJ export.

Having said that, Zbrush will treat UVs as poly groups, with or without making specific groups, but I don't know if it will read point or poly groups made in LW and exported as OBJ.
Not to say it can't, just that I don't know, since I never do it that way. ;)

Having said that, I personally think it's better to do all your zbrushing and when you're finished, then put it in LW and then make any groups, materials, or selection sets. Too much can go wrong between import/export, and you can still use your original model in Zbrush for making morphs, textures, displacements, normals...whatever, assuming of course it has UVs and the UVs are the same in the model in Zbrush as the model in LW.

Algae998
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the help!
Hah, I actually did a search on the forum about "OBJ ZBrush Mode" because I had no idea what that was used for.. Then I stumbled across one of your older posts: "Yeah, you need to check the "OBJ ZBrush Mode" checkbox in the options panel in Modeler in order to be able to import and export obj files with the point and poly groups intact."

I used the create part tool with that mode enabled and it worked beautifully! (even without the model being uv mapped)
Thanks again!
:D :thumbsup:

IMI
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh, you're welcome. :)

Now I find it strange that I said above I didn't know if ZB could use LW OBJ group data. Of course it can. One of those days, you know. :screwy: