PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh Fuzzzz.

Andyjaggy
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Ah crap.

I was backing up files. Freak accident. Formated the wrong drive. Files from last 2 years gone. Choice words spoken. Possible crying...... Ah crap.

paulhart
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Before you do anything else, check into "format" recover software or solutions. I have not had to use them, but I always understood that it was possible, particularly if no other files writes are done. The more, usage, after the format, the less recovery is possible, but check into it. Even if you had to buy a piece of software, it may be worth it. Sorry to hear of your loss, these 0's and 1's are fragile. I routinely back up to two(2) different drives, one on the same computer, another on a separate computer on the network, then DVD archive them before removing anything from any drive. Even with this strategy, I once scanned a pile of images for a client to the wrong drive, then ran the "backup" routine which promptly over wrote the drives new files with an empty folder where they were supposed to have been saved in the first place. Never have I complained about "too many" backups or extra drives, despite the hassle factor. Drives are cheap.. Good luck. Acronis is an excellent software tool for system and file backup also. I fully restored a formatted drive twice, before getting it "right," duh!!!
Paul

Andyjaggy
07-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I ran into best buy and bought two programs for disk recovery...........

Both crap. Fix-it utilities 9 crashes anytime you even click on the recovery button.

Norton Ghost is a piece of crap (should have expected that from a Norton program) it doesn't seem to be able to do what I need it to do.

I finally went online and found a program called uneraser. I installed the trial, and am scanning the drive now. It has found 990,000 files so far........... so this looks promising. If I can at least recover the quicktime files from my finished projects I will be somewhat happy, otherwise more choice words will be repeated, and my wife will see me cry like a little girl.

I was leaving for vacation tomorrow, I might have to delay it a day. What a nightmare.

borkus
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
wish the best for you, Andy...

Andyjaggy
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
1.7 million files found.

I'm just hoping that they are organized into folder, and not one mass list of files with funky name. Shutter.

Thanks for you support guys. Our data is very precous to us.

The ironic thing is I had a backup, in fact I had it backed up as of yesterday, but I had to delete my backup to move some large files around at work today, so I figured okay I'll just delete my backup and then re-backup my files tonight.

Well in the process of the re-backing up............ yeah. Oops. I am now a firm believer in two external backups. So I am trying to restore the actual drive that had the files on it, if that fails I have my backup drive that I had my files on up till this morning, I just deleted them so it might be possible to recover some files from that drive as well. Hopefully between the two I can minimize the damages.

Andyjaggy
07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
2.2 million.

I didn't know I had so many files. Wow.

archijam
07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Been there, and was excruciating with even unessential files..

Fingers crossed!

In other news, get the bend tool working .. ?

Andyjaggy
07-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Been there, and was excruciating with even unessential files..

Fingers crossed!

In other news, get the bend tool working .. ?

I haven't had a chance to jump into m$%^ for the past few days. But I think I have it mostly figured out.

2.6 million files so far, and it's stayed on that for the past 15 minutes, it's about 2/3 of the way done scanning the drive.

Sekhar
07-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Hope you got everything back. I've been there.

Andyjaggy
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
well the scan finished, and there were not 2.6 million files.

It recovered some files but nothing that I need. No LWO files. No LWS files. No MOV files. :( I am going to try get data back next.

What a wonderful time to just start fresh right!

Matt
07-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Ouch, my heart goes out to you Andy!

Whenever I format a disk I'm paranoid about that, I always quadruple check it's the right drive letter!

probiner
07-16-2009, 07:10 AM
happend to me twice.
At 16 and at 18 years old.

First i cryed my winamp skins and interactive display settings.
Second i cryed my first CG works.
So all small stuff, that was quite ugly but great to remember what i used to do.

The second time i was really dumb. Image to put all the eggs in basket A cause you gonna clean basket B. Then in a stroke of genius you throw basket A with all the eggs out the window.

:chicken: -Yes, preety stupid if you ask me, sir.

Good luck :\ File Scavanger saved me some

cresshead
07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
note this doesn't 'help' but a backup isn't a 'backup' if it's the ONLY version...

Andyjaggy
07-16-2009, 08:21 AM
happend to me twice.
At 16 and at 18 years old.

First i cryed my winamp skins and interactive display settings.
Second i cryed my first CG works.
So all small stuff, that was quite ugly but great to remember what i used to do.

The second time i was really dumb. Image to put all the eggs in basket A cause you gonna clean basket B. Then in a stroke of genius you throw basket A with all the eggs out the window.

:chicken: -Yes, preety stupid if you ask me, sir.

Good luck :\ File Scavanger saved me some

Pretty much what I did. I was going to backup everything on drive 2. So I wanted to clean drive 2 by formatting it. And in a stroke of brilliant genious I format drive 1 instead. totally my own fault, which makes it even worse.

When I realized what I had done I literally thought I was going to throw up I felt so sick in my stomach. Uck.

art
07-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Try r-studio, it might help. They have a free trial and while it will not recover anything over 16kb (or someting like that), you will see what files can be recovered. It shows the original folder structures (if found), deleted files, etc. Then you can decide to get the full version.
It saved me (my files) on several occasions, including broken raid arrays.

4dartist
07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I hope you get it sorted out. I had a Hard Disk fail and corrupt entire folders of projects I couldn't access. Those recovery programs worked ok for me, the free ones you download though. I didn't buy any.

Also, I think with IPODS and IPHONES and the such, people are running into problems when they drop them and can't get data off them. Data Recover services are becoming more common from what I hear, might be a lot more affordable these days. Maybe you can send in your HD and have some pro's try to recover your files for you. A couple hundred $$ may be worth getting all that data back.

Good luck man, I feel your pain. I know that feeling. My brothers and I were fixing our first really expensive PC and we turned it on and saw a big spark come from where we left a screw sitting on the motherboard... Very sickening.. (data trumps hardware though so your case is worse)

colkai
07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Oh man, I feel for ya.
Done similar in the past, it's worse if you do it a second time at some point, having vowed to yourself you'd never make that mistake again. :(

Hope you find some joy at the end of the long dark tunnel.

(Wonder how many backup procedures this thread will induce? ;) )

borkus
07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
It's induced one already....

cresshead
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
if you can afford it, get a drobo
http://www.drobo.com/products/drobopro/

4dartist
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
We use a Drobo connected via FireWire to a computer in a closet on the network. (protects against a single HD failure)

Time Machine (Mac) - backs up the drives for quick easy file recovery.

Portable HD - backs up the project files (not frames) every couple weeks and take home so it's off site.

prometheus
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Stellar phoenix recovery is another recovery tool that might help
http://stellar-phoenix-recovery-suite.findmysoft.com/

it helped me getting acess to files from an harddisk that was corrupted.and not accessible from windows.donīt know how good it works getting data back from formatted discs thou

Edit..well yeah it says it can recover formatted discs.

Michael

Jim_C
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I have used Recover My Files with great success. You can dload it for free and run the scans and then only purchase after it shows you what you can or can't recover.

You can have it narrow down the search to certain file types also.

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

lwaddict
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I used "FinalData" for corporate and personal recovery from drives that won't so much as be recognized by a computer anymore...
it'll get your files back, even as far as a few partioning gigs ago.

"FinalData"...
and yeah, it's slow as hell, but that's the sign that it's working.

BeeVee
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Seems like it's the season: http://beevee-notes.blogspot.com/2009/06/********-data-destruction.html

B