PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #47 - Sci-fi Icons

Iain
07-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #47 - Sci-fi Icons
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Subject - Sci-fi Icons

The stuff we all loved as kids and still do-Captain Kirk's badge, the Death Star, a Predator/Vader mask, Light Sabre, phaser, Star Wars blaster, BSG/Buck Rogers ships, you know the thing :hey:.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 22 July 2200 GMT

R.Feeney
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a lightsaber from, I think your 70s challenge. Can I use it again? :devil:

Cool subject.

Iain
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes as long as you remodel it from scratch and it looks completely different!

R.Feeney
07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
You are no fun! :D

AdamAvenali
07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
excellent! this gives me a reason to go and buy a toy :D

my goal this challenge is to pick something i pretty much know i cannot get done in an hour if i get all obsessive compulsive about it. i have noticed that i get slowed way down in the tiny details, so i need a project that i need to look at the bigger picture. so, there may be a possibility i will be entering a half-finished model haha

Nangleator
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
i have noticed that i get slowed way down in the tiny details, so i need a project that i need to look at the bigger picture. so, there may be a possibility i will be entering a half-finished model haha
This sounds like my career as a freelancer! Customers are constitutionally incapable of giving you enough time to do a decent job, so these speed modeling challenges are perfect training: Get a passable model done quickly, then spend what time you have left sweetening it.

AdamAvenali
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Get a passable model done quickly, then spend what time you have left sweetening it.

precisely :thumbsup:

karlieman
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Ok this is a SnowSpeeder from StarWars The Empire Strikes Back, it took me 44 mins to model. http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75316&stc=1&d=1247764392http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75317&stc=1&d=1247764392http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75318&stc=1&d=1247764392

Iain
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Ok this is a SnowSpeeder from StarWars The Empire Strikes Back, it took me 44 mins to model.

Good work!

I attempted Decker's gun from Blade Runner and after spending 45 minutes on the amber handle decided it was way more than an hour's work ;D

karlieman
07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks!:D Yeah theres some stuff that you need a lot more than a hour to model.:D

Iain
07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Here's the original clamshell mobile-the Star Trek communicator.

45 minutes modelling.

karlieman
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Looks sweet, did you know that's where cellphones came from.

Oedo 808
07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice, a great start from both. :thumbsup:

JCG
07-17-2009, 02:21 AM
I can't texture her today. I'm falling asleep sitting down.

Iain
07-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Looks sweet, did you know that's where cellphones came from.

Yes Star Trek technology has inspired a lot of real world stuff.

I, myself, have made a working Teleporter that chops you up and sends your bits through fibre optic phonelines but I can't reveal too much about it at the moment. Early stages on the 'bit rearranging'.

Cheers!

R.Feeney
07-17-2009, 04:09 AM
Impressive stuff so far:thumbsup:
I`m looking forward to the render of the sandworm too

I had to leave off a fair bit of detail on this to get it done in the time.
The badge was done outside the hour.:twak: Think of it as a second entry:D

A PPG from Babylon 5

Iain
07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Wow that's good going for 60 minutes, Richard :thumbsup:

colkai
07-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Whoa Richard, that's insane for the time taken. Bravo! :D

Nangleator
07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
I, myself, have made a working Teleporter that chops you up and sends your bits through fibre optic phonelines but I can't reveal too much about it at the moment. Early stages on the 'bit rearranging'.
I was wondering why 150 pounds of raw, bleeding meat and skin came spurting out of my answering machine. Dial more carefully!

Iain
07-17-2009, 07:51 AM
I was wondering why 150 pounds of raw, bleeding meat and skin came spurting out of my answering machine. Dial more carefully!

Sorry! She was a good wife.

Nangleator
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Observe the horror and the glory!

I gave up on this after 35 minutes.

And, for your viewing pleasure, a timelapse (http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Bad_Kif.html).

(You should particularly enjoy the horror of the tangled mesh and my clumsy attempts to correct it!)

Maybe I'll try a ship to get the taste of this out of my mouth.

Iain
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Judge Dredd's helmet.

Full hour for modelling and I'm still not at all happy.....ggrrrrrrrrrr, it's always the simple ones that kill me!

Iain
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
And, for your viewing pleasure, a timelapse (http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Bad_Kif.html).

(You should particularly enjoy the horror of the tangled mesh and my clumsy attempts to correct it!)

I feel your pain. I liked watching your workflow btw.

Nangleator
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Thank you! It's a mashup between Taron and Splinegod.

I tried a rancor first. There's rather a lot of detail in a rancor. An inherently 2D character can be very tricky indeed. I kept fighting to keep it smooth, yet add in details.

THREEL
07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Here's the original clamshell mobile-the Star Trek communicator.

45 minutes modelling.

Can you hear me, now?

I'm sorry, wrong commercial. Nice job, Iain! I'd like to enter this one, too, but probably won't have time to. I just wish I could say it was business related.

Good day, and good modeling!

Iain
07-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks Threel :thumbsup:

I hope you find time to take part.

shrox
07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I am going to do the Martian War Machines from George Pal's "War of the Worlds". It's mine, no one else can have it to make. Mine mine mine!

robert_Lavigne
07-19-2009, 02:42 AM
As much of a storm trooper helmet as I can model in an hour at 2 am. I'm not that pleased with it and will decided in the morning if it's worth texturing. It was good practice anyways.

IMI
07-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Man, you guys kill me!

You know, seriously, these modeling challenge threads aren't only full of kick-arse 3D models, but rather the quality of them and the renders in a *whole lot* of cases is about as good as it gets in 3D.

I wish I had time to play some more like I used to, but things have been kinda hectic for the last few months. I still watch and read all these Modeling Challenge threads though and I mean to say you guys are impressive. :thumbsup:

Iain
07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I wish I had time to play some more like I used to, but things have been kinda hectic for the last few months. I still watch and read all these Modeling Challenge threads though and I mean to say you guys are impressive. :thumbsup:

I know how you feel. I was away from home (and my computer) at college for 8 weeks and I've just been on holiday for 3 in which I tried to take part as much as I could. I'm going away for another 7 now but I'll look in every other day.

Keep it up guys :thumbsup:

JCG
07-19-2009, 11:29 AM
The wire is in a previous post.

shrox
07-19-2009, 01:40 PM
A Martian War Machine. Took about 40 minutes, another 20 setting up the scene. The city street is a model I made some years ago.

shrox
07-20-2009, 12:15 PM
A Martian War Machine. Took about 40 minutes, another 20 setting up the scene. The city street is a model I made some years ago.

Did I miss the deadline?

AdamAvenali
07-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Did I miss the deadline?

nope. deadlines are wednesdays at 2200 GMT.

i do have an entry to submit, but i still need to render it :thumbsup:

shrox
07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
nope. deadlines are wednesdays at 2200 GMT.

i do have an entry to submit, but i still need to render it :thumbsup:

Oh, OK. I thoght I had procrastinated too long.

Iain
07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Great stuff Shrox and JCG.

Really good entries!

Waves of light
07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh well. I knew I was biting off more than I could chew with this one. This damn machine gave me nightmares for years.

This is all I could do in the hour, and there's loads left. I was hoping I could get away with using more textures later on.

Vader's Interrogation Droid (see thumbnails)

flakester
07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Awesome stuff from everyone so far, great entries! :thumbsup:

My Sci-fi icon; Flash Gordon's t-shirt.
48 minutes for the modelling, and about 30 mins for the layout.

Might even get time for a second one.... :D

--
flakester

shrox
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Awesome stuff from everyone so far, great entries! :thumbsup:

My Sci-fi icon; Flash Gordon's t-shirt.
48 minutes for the modelling, and about 30 mins for the layout.

Might even get time for a second one.... :D

--
flakester

I had that shirt! My mom made me one using TriChem, a fabric paint in a ball point tube. She did a really good job too.

cagey5
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's one I wish I had the skill to model in one hour. Deckards gun from Bladerunner.

Nangleator
07-20-2009, 07:23 PM
This damn machine gave me nightmares for years.
Hey, bold attempt!

And that idea of nightmares gave me one hell of an idea for another attempt.

It may not be SF, but I'll do it anyway. I wish I had Camtasia at home, but this shouldn't be too challenging...

AdamAvenali
07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
here is my entry. it's some star wars clone walker lego thing. not sure how much of an "icon" it is, but it's the only sci-fi-ish toy i had around haha. as planned i push the modeling to 60 minutes and finished as much as i could. there is a lot more detail i wanted to put in, mostly rounding corners and some subdivision stuff. i really thought i would get through this pretty quick but i guess either i was having an off-night of modeling or this little guy was more complicated than i first thought :) also attached is a reference pic.

60 minutes modeling
15 minutes rendering

R.Feeney
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
An impressive showing of talent here again this week:thumbsup:
-____________

The full hour on this guy, and I am just now remembering thst I did a tardis for an earlier challenge that I should have used for the background on this render.

I`ll just go hide behind the couch now:eek:

Nangleator
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll just copy and paste this from now on:

Damn you, Feeney!

Great modeling and render! Congrats!

Anyway, here's my nightmare. And yes, it is SF. The baddies were aliens, at least according to the sequel.

It has some warts, and I chose that silly Chrome texture because it's darn tricky showing off a pure chrome ball. 33 minutes modeling.

If you don't know what it is, youtube Phantasm balls.

R.Feeney
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Well now thats a terrible thing to say :D

Nice work on the ball, love the touch of the blood splatters.
I can nearly hear the high pitched screech.

Waves of light
07-21-2009, 01:17 AM
@ Nangleator: Nice ball, that would give me nightmares too

@Feeney: I echo Nangleator comment - Damn you for setting the bar so high, again. I think from now on you and Iain should be restricted to 'no keyboard shortcuts' and 'no mouse menus' to give us a fighting chance :).

R.Feeney
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Well this one I went a bit over time on and had no time to set up a proper render either. Painting the house all day instead.

This one doesn't count but I thought I would show it anyway
The Liberator from Blake's 7

R.Feeney
07-21-2009, 06:35 PM
An Idea for one that should take all of five seconds to model- The Monolith from 2001
1x4x9 :D
It dosent get much more Iconic than that

Waves of light
07-22-2009, 01:12 AM
An Idea for one that should take all of five seconds to model- The Monolith from 2001

Lol. why didn't I think of that one?

Nice Liberator, your speed modelling is excellent.

cagey5
07-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Dr Who's ubiquitous Sonic Screwdriver. Modelling 40 mins

Nangleator
07-22-2009, 06:22 AM
It's not the modeling that's hard. It's the texturing (http://www.palantir.net/2001/tma1/wav/stars.wav) that blows your mind.

oobievision
07-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Lightsaber 40mins modeling. ill texture this later just want to get it in on time

flakester
07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Just time for another quick one.
Apologies if I've offended anyone with this very brash rendition of this well known symbol!

30 mins for the modelling, about the same for the layout.
Excellent work everyone, gets better with every round!

--
flakester

shrox
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Apologies if I've offended anyone with this very brash rendition of this well known symbol!

--
flakester

30 minutes! Why, I have that as a font, but it wouldn't have been fair to use it.

flakester
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
30 minutes! Why, I have that as a font, but it wouldn't have been fair to use it.

30 minutes, to model something as a fairly efficient seamless subpatch item, from memory. This includes the odd mistake, the odd re-do of certain operations, merging polys to reduce the count... that sort of thing.

Included in my 30 mins are the other elements in the scene also; the luminous objects for lighting and reflection hits, and the environment - which in this case is a subpatch room tweaked to how I need it.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the fastest of modellers, but considering all of the above, I didn't think it was that much of a scandalous effort either way.

--
flakester

cagey5
07-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I think you're taking his comments a bit too serious. He was just saying he has a font installed with the logo as part of it. Therefore he could have done it in seconds. It wasn't a slight on your work.

R.Feeney
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM

--
flakester

I think it came out well for you:thumbsup:

shrox
07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
30 minutes, to model something as a fairly efficient seamless subpatch item, from memory. This includes the odd mistake, the odd re-do of certain operations, merging polys to reduce the count... that sort of thing.

Included in my 30 mins are the other elements in the scene also; the luminous objects for lighting and reflection hits, and the environment - which in this case is a subpatch room tweaked to how I need it.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the fastest of modellers, but considering all of the above, I didn't think it was that much of a scandalous effort either way.

--
flakester

I was just joking, I have a font that includes the Starfleet emblem, and I could have cheated and used it if I had made that great icon of sci-fi. I was not all at disparaging your work or your skills.

flakester
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I think you're taking his comments a bit too serious. He was just saying he has a font installed with the logo as part of it. Therefore he could have done it in seconds. It wasn't a slight on your work.
Oops!

There's the classic problem of text only - I wasn't ranting, just stating my case of why.

Apologies to Shrox (and others) if it came across a bit feisty (sp?); really wasn't meant in that way, at all. Saying that; I do tend to type as I talk... a bit dry. That'll be the cockney in me! :p

--
flakester

halley
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I have been vicariously watching the speed modeling challenges for a long time and this is the one that spoke to me. Two words came to mind when I saw the challenge… Ed Wood. It’s inspired by Plan 9 from Outer Space complete with string. Had short time to work on it

I’d say about ten minutes to model and a half an hour more to light render and composite in photo shop.

probiner
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
i find amazing what ppl do so fast in these challanges.
i would like to give a try, since it looks that could be a good practice between, imagination, tecnique and speed.
When are the challanges released
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89283 doesnt say much about the time placing of the challenge altough i got that rules are posted at each challenge and it last for 60 minutes normally.

Oh and i see ppl post various models. So they can post as many models as they want if they took less than 60 minutes?

Cheers

AdamAvenali
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
i find amazing what ppl do so fast in these challanges.
i would like to give a try, since it looks that could be a good practice between, imagination, tecnique and speed.
When are the challanges released
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89283 doesnt say much about the time placing of the challenge altough i got that rules are posted at each challenge and it last for 60 minutes normally.

Oh and i see ppl post various models. So they can post as many models as they want if they took less than 60 minutes?

Cheers

the challenges usually start sometime on wednesdays. this week's seems to be a little delayed, but it really is an informal challenge, so that sometimes happens :)

the time limit is usually 60 minutes, though there have been a couple that were 120 minutes. this time is only for modeling though, and an unlimited amount of time can be spent on textures, lighting and rendering.

deadlines always remain wednesdays at 2200 GMT.

you are allowed to do multiple entries for any given week. so, if you do a model and have enough free time to do another, feel free to submit two!

oobievision
07-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Lightsaber 40mins modeling. ill texture this later just want to get it in on time

heres the render of my lightsaber

Waves of light
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Just wanted to say what a great place this is, glad I started doing the speed modelling challenges.

Gotta give it to halley for the simple, yet very good render of the UFOs. Crazy to see how good a 10 min model looks when textured/lit correctly.

Looking forward to the next one.

Ricky.

Iain
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Sorry I'm late guys!

Well once again, the standard is very (, very) high. I admired all of the models this week and Nangelator's Phantasm ball brought back some very disturbed childhood memories.

But...........the winner has got to be R. Feeney's Dalek.
Quite amazing what you can knock up in an hour Mr Feeney so congratulations!

Nangleator
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Congrats, Feeney! Another clear winner!

Kuzey
07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Nice one Feeney...well done :thumbsup:

Kuzey

flakester
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
But...........the winner has got to be R. Feeney's Dalek.
Quite amazing what you can knock up in an hour Mr Feeney so congratulations!

:agree: Well deserved, congrats Feeney! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Waves of light
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, as I said in post 46, that was the bar-setter.

Well done Freeney, excellent model considering the time.

Oedo 808
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Well done to all for the many great entries.

But yes, yet again we have a deserved winner in R.Feeney!

Bravo Sir! You are an inspiration. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
07-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys
One of those weeks where it seemed to go just right :D