PDA

View Full Version : OS-X Archive & Install

accom
07-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi guys!

Any of you use this option? Last week I did it and I'm impressed! Boot time is shorter, apps start-up faster and some problems (obviously software related) are gone. Everything except printers and scheduled start-up remained the same.

At first it seems like a fresh instalation with all of the work legacy intact... so I'm asking if anyone has encountered any problems... If not, this might become a six-month routine.

Scazzino
07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
I use archive and install on major point upgrades, say from 10.4 to 10.5. Then I just use normal install for minor point upgrades...

OlaHaldor
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Would you mind telling me what this is ? Sound interesting, but gotta know more "how to" than "it does". :)

brian.coates
07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Would you mind telling me what this is ? Sound interesting, but gotta know more "how to" than "it does". :)
Basically it's a system install option in Mac OS X that allows you to install a 'fresh' copy of the system software without overwriting the majority of personalised settings and features. Instead of overwriting or patching existing systems files, the current system files are moved to a 'Previous Systems' folder on your startup disk and a completely fresh version is installed and becomes active after restart.

I haven't done it for a while but I think it's available as an option when selecting the destination volume for your system install.

The best part of this technique that any third party systems files, (eg. Adobe CS stuff) aren't deleted and can simply be copied back to their required locations in the new system folders which saves having to re-install and update applications from scratch, while keeping your system as 'clean' as possible in the process.