PDA

View Full Version : Output problems and crashes?

AndyW69
07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi, I have used the VT5 system for a year now a total of 10-12 times, I have mostly used it for live events to projectors and led screens. I often record the output to a dv deck via firewire or analogue. It all worked fine on Friday, Sunday feeding an led screen the output from vt5 sx84 composite and s-video was black and white (colour showed on VT screen and on external lcd monotors but not on screen) A dvd player in the truck was normal proving I was the problem. I tried to reboot several times replugged the original vt cables but to no avail, we even tried 2 processors a tv one cs-5000 and a sony 1024, b/w all thru, when we tried to plug in thru the panasonic mx-70 in the truck the colours looked like we were missing the red from a component signal even though we were feeding composite. The screen guys suggested it was a low signal level, or a sync issue but there were no rolling images, I had to give up and use the mx-70 in the end. I am going to have a play tonight to see if I can find any problems, I will try to reseat the boards and maybe reload the software (VT5 5.1)

I use a dual xeon 3.2, hp workstation (old edit system) and had several crashes recently, we were doing the normal shows, the only thing I can pinpoint was I tried to record to an external usb drive, it had worked fine in the afternoon for 10-15 minutes, when the show started for real it locked up after about 5 -10 mins and needed a reload of vt to unlock the freeze frame which was on the screen when it happened, it occured 3 times until I stopped trying to record, then all was well, could this be a pci bus issue? or a power supply? or usb speeds?

Andy
hp 8600 xeon 3.2 x 2, 2 gig mem xp sp3 nvidia gfx

Zane Condren
07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
To fix the Black and White output problem, open the preferences Panel from the VT Menu and set the output mode to S Video (y/c) instead of Component. It is highly possible that the USB drive is disconnecting and causing the crash. We only recommend recording to an internal Raid drive during your live production.

AndyW69
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi, I tried switching that over it was on s video, I changed it to component and back again

Andy

Quiet1onTheSet
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
the only thing I can pinpoint was I tried to record to an external usb drive, it had worked fine in the afternoon for 10-15 minutes, when the show started for real it locked up after about 5 -10 mins and needed a reload of vt to unlock the freeze frame which was on the screen when it happened, it occured 3 times until I stopped trying to record, then all was well, could this be a pci bus issue? or a power supply? or usb speeds?

Hi, Andy. Just thought I'd chime in to add that you ought not discount the possibility that the USB drive "timed out" to go into sleep mode. Depending on make and model, and any [possible] default or user-configuration settings, that just may be the culprit for the cause of the crash. Such a crash could possibly have resulted in corruption of some files on your system. I've had that happen with the Maxtor OneTouch 1GB external, which was connected via Firewire, but had nodded off to sleep (I had it set to do so after 2 hours, but decision bit me).

Do know that while Zane says that NewTek recommends recording to RAID a raided array of disks if going to an external media, the alternate (albeit unofficial) recommendation I might make, is to invest in a really decent eSATA controller card and a really fast, eSATA, i.e., external Serial-ATA drive (doing this for a RAIDed array would be consistent with Zane's admonition).

After that, I'd settle for Firewire 800 controller and drive(s); then perhaps Firewire 400. Lastly, I'd go with USB 2.0, because of the significantly reduced, continuous throughput this latter choice is capable of.

After this much time, here's hoping you've nailed down your trouble by now.

AndyW69
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Time for an update, took the offending system to a local company with a broadcast truck, b/w on output with colour burst present on the scope! Fiddled endlessly, will now try to isolate the problems to card or sx-84, try full software reset/install then send back if no better

Andy