PDA

View Full Version : How to make a video clip to loop in VT3 Edit??

tajino
08-24-2003, 06:24 AM
How to make a video clip to loop in VT3 Edit many many times??? I can do this easily in Adobe Premiere's Virtual Clip.

Is there anything similar in VT3 Edit? I don't want any live switch DDR looping playback, i want pure timeline base loop.

any suggestion/tricks , Paul??

am i missing something, i'm getting very frustrated !!!

thanks.

Tajino
www.tajino.net

Paul Lara
08-24-2003, 08:35 AM
There is no virutal-based loop capability in VT[3], Tajino.
What you can do, however, is Ctrl-drag your clip, which creates a clone. It is easiest in Storyboard. You can create as many clones as you need for a looping bug or background.

tajino
08-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Paul, thanks for clearing things up, if not i'll have been hunting up and down Ted looking for a loop miracle :)

maybe you guys should consider having the virtual clip feature in ted in future release.

and how about making the ted project a plain text rather than binary.

also a user adjustable value (in pixels) for snapping in ted when dragging clips around. Let's say if i set the snap value to 40 pixels, ted will snap the clip to the nearest within 40 pix or less, and holding down shift will do away the snapping temporarily, sort of like in premiere.

i personally feel the current snapping is a little to small which makes dragging clips in Ted quite a scary stuff.

thanks again.

Tajino
www.tajino.net

Paul Lara
08-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by tajino
i personally feel the current snapping is a little too small

Which is why there is a preference setting for Snap Strength. I agree the default value is a little low, but you can turn it up, and you'll get a stronger snap, which I prefer.

Paul

tajino
08-25-2003, 07:51 AM
thanks , i've overlooked that preference.

wvp
08-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Keep in mind when looping a clip (like a Jumpback) that TED by default will import a clip with the 1st & last second "cut off" (to accomidate adding a 2 second transition).
In VT[3] you can change this default or when selecting the clip in the file bin, hold down the "G" key (I think its G) & drop into place.
Also you might want to drop these in place & then make it a subproject so you dont have 6 of them to move around.

bradl
08-26-2003, 08:34 AM
yes, on any clip hit "g" and you have the whole enchilada...

tmon
08-26-2003, 12:41 PM
In T[2], one can select the clip, open up the Edit Properties panel, select the "loop play" icon and press "Play."

This, is the only way to achieve a loop play, short of the copy/paste method.

Too bad, IMHO:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3733

Is there a "loop" button in the Edit Props panel of VT[3]?

:(

bradl
08-26-2003, 01:38 PM
I think we are mixing apples and oranges here. Yes you can loop clips and subprojects several ways for monitoring, but for looping on the timeline, like for Jumpbacks, currently you must cut and paste.

tmon
08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
I strongly suspect that when it comes to turning apples into oranges on the timeline, that ain't going to happen any sooner than multichannel audio i/o.

bradl
08-26-2003, 08:09 PM
but AES (digital audio) support is almost here! Should be testing it soon... but that is another topic all together, more like a bannana in the analogy...

bradl
08-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by taiji
Is there a "loop" button in the Edit Props panel of VT[3]?

BTW, it is still there. i.e. - the same one as VT2

tmon
08-26-2003, 11:20 PM
it is still there?

Cool. Thanks.

tajino
08-28-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by wvp
Keep in mind when looping a clip (like a Jumpback) that TED by default will import a clip with the 1st & last second "cut off" (to accomidate adding a 2 second transition).
In VT[3] you can change this default or when selecting the clip in the file bin, hold down the "G" key (I think its G) & drop into place.
Also you might want to drop these in place & then make it a subproject so you dont have 6 of them to move around.

If i make them subproject, it looses the ability to overlay which defeats the whole entire purpose, what i want to do is to overlay a looping logo onto my edit. (which i ended up doing it without any sweat in premiere)

I've always set my TED clip offset to no offset, i hate the offset.

Tajino
www.tajino.net

bradl
08-28-2003, 08:34 AM
You can overlay within subprojects and you can overlay on top of subprojects but currently you cannot overlay a subproject itself. This is perhaps the number one requested feature, that and dve a subproject or overlay.

as far as looping, it really is easy to fill you entire timeline with a looping logo, takes about 2 seconds.

highlight clip, hit 'g', 'cntrl c' then hit 'cntrl v' as many times as you need... it will fill your timeline with loops perfectly lined up end to end...

tajino
08-30-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by bradl
You can overlay within subprojects and you can overlay on top of subprojects but currently you cannot overlay a subproject itself. This is perhaps the number one requested feature, that and dve a subproject or overlay.

as far as looping, it really is easy to fill you entire timeline with a looping logo, takes about 2 seconds.

highlight clip, hit 'g', 'cntrl c' then hit 'cntrl v' as many times as you need... it will fill your timeline with loops perfectly lined up end to end...

Yes overlaying a subproject on top of the timeline, which is exactly what i need, and also exactly what it cannot do right now.

ctrl-c, ctrl-v, many many times...., what if my clients says the position is not right, and i'll have to do the repositioning on the first clips, delete the rest and then ctrl-c/v the entire process again, stupid right?

why not introduce something like pre/post behavior for the clip on the timeline, sort of like lightwave graph, where by you have either repeat or osillate(ping-pong) playback for the clip on the timeline.

think about it VT team.

tajino
www.tajino.net

Major_video
09-02-2003, 07:15 AM
It seems to me that you could use the USER presets in the Tool Shed to apply your setting to as many clips as you simultaneously highlight.

In other words, simply save your first clip's settings as a preset, then apply to all the others. Then if you need to change something, resave the preset, and reapply to all clips.

bradl
09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
This 'feature' has been requested before, but, Newtek keeps up with the frequency of all requests in a speadsheet to determine what should be given greater consideration for future releases, so send it in again.

Don't forget the official "Newtek- VT Feature Request" is handled via email to [email protected]

Aussie
09-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Another method...

Run Editor thru switcher
and add DSK with DDR that is looping the logo!

Now record.

- Aussie :)

Tom Wood
09-20-2003, 03:18 PM
I understand the copy-paste functions, but TED keeps placing the new copy at a different place on the timeline rather than next to the original (or previous copy). It usually places the new copy at the bottom. How do I make it place copies end to end next to each other?

Thanks,

Tom

Norman
09-20-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm not at my VT3 right now, but, I believe you need to press the 'w' key to go to the end of the selected clip, then, paste the clip down and it should place it, without a space between clips. The clips may be on different tracks, depending on your preferences settings, but they will play continuously. Oh yes, you should be using ctrl-c to copy the clip and ctrl-v to paste the copies.

bradl
09-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
It usually places the new copy at the bottom. How do I make it place copies end to end next to each other?

Tom, the paste end to end worked fine for me the day I posted that. I will try again tomorrow, but maybe try toggling Ripple on or off to see if it makes a difference. Also try pasting down at the end of your timeline and see if they don't line up, then slide them back. Of course as mentioned, storyboard mode may be the best method to place things back to back...

Tom Wood
09-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
Which is why there is a preference setting for Snap Strength. I agree the default value is a little low, but you can turn it up, and you'll get a stronger snap, which I prefer.

Paul

I tried setting this to 1 and to 100 with no visible effect. Which direction is 'turning it up'?

I changed the edit preferences to single-track, and made clones in storyboard, but it still isn't placing the cloned clips next to each other in the timeline. Not biggy, but it would be nice to skip the step of dragging them into place.

TW

Paul Lara
09-21-2003, 09:59 AM
I tried setting this to 1 and to 100 with no visible effect. Which direction is 'turning it up'?

The default is 3, and I usually turned it up to 6 or 8, which gave me a bit more 'snap'. Yeah, I've noticed this myself, Tom, that strength settings now seem to make little difference.

bradl
09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Paul,

The "snap potential" seems awefully low. Many times I have to Zoom way in to ensure it is snapping where I need. Granted there are sometimes many snap-to possibilities close together and can cause confusion, but a stronger more obvious SNAP somehow would be nice. If the snap were beefed up, we would need a modifier key to override when you don't want to be snapped (maybe there already is one?)

Thanks,

bradl
09-21-2003, 11:27 AM
I changed the edit preferences to single-track, and made clones in storyboard, but it still isn't placing the cloned clips next to each other in the timeline. Not biggy, but it would be nice to skip the step of dragging them into place.

TW

Tom,

I just tried it on the Timeline and Storyboard with Ripple on and off and it worked everytime. I could not make it not work. Wonder what's up. For clarity here is what I just did. Opened a fully populated edited spot timeline. Selected the Jumpback clip used, hit CNTL C, then CNTL V and it began pasting them wherever my TimeBar was located end to end. In Storyboard Mode it pasted them end to end following the original clip (because that clip was highlighted).

Only thing I can see that would affect it is after each paste my TimeBar jumps to the end of the pasted clip so the next one would start where the TimeBar is now. Maybe you have an option on that changes the TimeBar behavior. I tried "Track Clip" thinking that may be it, and it did mess up the first paste but then the rest lined up end to end...

Tom Wood
09-21-2003, 12:36 PM
I dunno, I think I'm doing the same thing. Ripple is off, preferences are set to single line editing. Here's a view of the sequence I'm following.

Paul Lara
09-21-2003, 05:25 PM
why not just select the clip you want, and hold down Ctrl while dragging it? This creates a clone of the original.

bradl
09-21-2003, 06:24 PM
I see it... don't move after your original Cntrl C, Cntrl V, and don't hit Cntrl C again, just keep hitting Cntrl V repeatedly. Notice after your first Cntrl V your TimeBar was right where it should be for the next one.

Norman
09-22-2003, 08:56 AM
Way to go Brad, good observation!

podro
01-21-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry guys, i'm a newbie. where's the snap strength preference? I can't find it!

bradl
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
It went bye-bye around Patch 1. I have brought this to Newtek's attention.