PDA

View Full Version : Run Transition in Reverse, Without the Clicking the "Reverse" Checkbox

Quiet1onTheSet
07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
...At this time you can run a transition forward but to run it in reverse you have to select the "reverse" button...

Well, that's not entirely true.

Even if you don't have the LiveCONTROL LC-11 or TrCaster-VM/RS-8 surface controller
...you could simply hold down the "Shift" Key, and then affect the transition. It'll then run in reverse.

The "SHIFT + SPACEBAR" trick for Transition Reverse, is actually borrowed from the legendary Amiga-based VideoToaster switcher paradigm, and continues throughout the VT and TriCaster series, thankfully.
:thumbsup:

Until/unless the GUI is further refined, so as to provide us a cycling Forward/Reverse option that "Alternates" similar to what the TriCaster XD-300 sports, this workaround provides a neat method for temporary reversal, without having to alternately "undo" the REVERSE function when you subsequently wish to go back to transition FORWARD.

bbailey
09-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Quiet,

I've been using this method and it works perfectly for my football games. I wish holding "shift" and hitting auto on the control surface would work, too, but it doesn't. It took a few time to get used to moving to the keyboard to "reverse" the effect but it beats using the mouse to select the reverse button...and then use the mouse again to turn off the "reverse" before needing the transition again.

Thanks for the info.

animlab
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
How about add a script to aechive that.

CreateControl(190,190,190 "SkinControl_SubControl_Layers"):{
MouseInside=false
Pressed=false
SetUpLayer() = {
if (Pressed)
{ if (MouseInside) SetLayer(1)
else SetLayer(0)
}
else
{ if (MouseInside) SetLayer(2)
else SetLayer(0)
}
}
AddCallback("MouseEnter",code(
MouseInside=true
SetUpLayer()
))
AddCallback("MouseExit", code(
MouseInside=false
SetUpLayer()
))
AddCallback("MouseMButtonClick", code(
Pressed=true
SetUpLayer()
ts_ReverseAuto()
))
AddCallback("MouseLButtonClick", code(
Pressed=true
SetUpLayer()
ts_Auto()
))
AddCallback("MouseLButtonRelease", code(
Pressed=false
SetLayer(0)
))
}

Save above code to
c:\Tricaster\Skinsxxx\BlackBoxDesktop\Live_Tab\Swi tcher\User Scripts\AutoReverseDVE.ToasterScript

Then relaunch Tricaster. Left Mouse Click on Auto will be normal auto DVE. Middle Mouse Click on Auto will be reversed auto DVE.

bbailey
09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks like a winner to me. I just copied the code and will install it tomorrow when I get to the production trailer where my TCB is located. I'll let you know how it works for me. Right now my keyboard is located just above my LC11 so I can easily reach the shift and space bar. I believe this will be much easier.

Thanks.

Say, do you think you could write a script for use in the "cue" mode while using the Time Warp to automatically reverse the effect? I've noted that most of the efx I want to use require I start with the effect already in reverse to allow the screen with the slo-mo to be flown in. Then I hold the shift while I hit the space bar to normalize the effect to fly off.

bbailey
09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, I just now tried to add this script. I guess I'm not competer saavy enough because by the time I reached the Switcher folder I noticed no User Scripts folder. I did play with the transitions, though. With the keyboard located next to my LC11, I can reach over the LC11 and use the space bar and shift to reverse or I can use the mouse and the shift to do the same thing. The script would have allowed me to use just the mouse, which would have been still one step easier, though.

animlab
09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
You need to create a "User Scripts" folder under "Switcher" folder. TriCaster came without that folder by default.

bbailey
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I figured that but how do you put the script into the folder? Just save a note pad with the script in the folder?

animlab
09-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes. Save it with notepad and rename the extarnsion from .txt to .ToasterScript.

Quiet1onTheSet
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Quiet,

...it beats using the mouse to select the reverse button...and then use the mouse again to turn off the "reverse" before needing the transition again...

Doesn't it, though?

...Thanks for the info.
My pleasure, guy.

:thumbsup:

Quiet1onTheSet
09-29-2009, 12:22 AM
...I've noted that most of the efx I want to use require I start with the effect already in reverse to allow the screen with the slo-mo to be flown in...
OK then: so you hold SHIFT when you first execute that transition, correct?

...Then I hold the shift while I hit the space bar to normalize the effect to fly off. Naw -- then you'd simply execute the transition *without* holding SHIFT, thereby running the transition in its native (normalized?) direction. Right?

Perhaps I'm misreading something in your post here, but I'm suspecting that you've only been using this Shift + Auto trick, as a secondary move.

Go ahead, and try it as your first move, on a transition that normally would Fly Off (thereby flying on that slo-mo clip); then, instantiate that same transition on your Slo-mo instant replay, without depressing "Shift", so as to "normalize" into the default "fly off" mode...

bbailey
10-01-2009, 12:44 PM
With the FX set to Reverse I simply use that for "normal". When I want to remove the scene I do the shift+space bar. It works either way. The shift+space bar just reverses whatever the transition was to begin with. I like pushing auto to start the replay and move to shift+space bar to remove the replay. To do this I begin by highlighting the "reverse" button on the switcher panel. I wish the shift+ "auto" would work too but it doesn't.

billmi
10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I use the same fly-in transition a lot to fly in iVGA screens of Power Point presentations. I ended up idiot-proofing it scripting a single key that selects iVGA on the preview bus, then flies it in (running the fly-in DVE in reverse) or if iVGA is currently on the program bus, it flies it out. It uses whatever DVE is loaded into the second DVE slot.

// F12 Shortcut - Fly iVGA in or out
CreateShortCut ("F12",code(
SetDVENumber(1)
ts_Wait()
if (GetProgramRow()==3){
Auto()
} else {
SetPreviewRow(4)
ts_Wait()
ReverseAuto()
}
),"Always", 1000)

Quiet1onTheSet
10-02-2009, 04:04 AM
I like pushing auto to start the replay and move to shift+space bar to remove the replay. To do this I begin by highlighting the "reverse" button on the switcher panel. I wish the shift+ "auto" would work too but it doesn't.

Ah, I see: Given you choose to effect the "Reverse" checkbox, it would appear that *you* don't mind the 3-step approach!

Contrariwise, I look for an effect that's already in the "native directional orientation" I want to start out with, hence my simpler 2-step approach: Spacebar to bring on the effect; Shift+spacebar to take it off; or...

Shift+Spacebar to bring it on, and Spacebar to take it off (again, depending on the native directional orientation of the Transition).

To each his own.
;)
Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
10-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Though you confused me a bit with the statement:
"...scripting a single key that selects iVGA on the preview bus, then flies it in (running the fly-in DVE in reverse)..."
(Wouldn't running a Fly-In DVE in reverse, necessarily fly it out?) ...nevertheless, I'm impressed with your fantastic solution there, Billmi!

Q1

// F12 Shortcut - Fly iVGA in or out
CreateShortCut ("F12",code(
SetDVENumber(1)
ts_Wait()
if (GetProgramRow()==3){
Auto()
} else {
SetPreviewRow(4)
ts_Wait()
ReverseAuto()
}
),"Always", 1000)

billmi
10-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't running a Fly-In DVE in reverse, necessarily fly it out?)...nevertheless, I'm impressed with your fantastic solution there, Billmi!

Thanks, and yes, the effect is a fly-out transition, that gets used in reverse to fly it in. We have F12 labeled as "Fly iVGA" on the keyboard, and just tap it to fly iVGA in or out. One less thing to think about when the same operator is running the Tricaster, three PTZ cameras and the sound board.

bbailey
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Naw! Once the reverse is checked, I'm done for the rest of the game. I do exactly as you said. I use auto on the LC-11 to fly on the (reversed) FX and hold shift + hit space bar to fly off. I might switch transitions as I go along to change up the look from time to time but there you are.