View Full Version : Hotel for Dogs

Mr Rid
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
A couple shots from the movie Hotel for Dogs-

hotel
http://www.box.net/shared/static/lbli3gxp9x.mov

paint spill
http://www.box.net/shared/static/o9vnv4c4le.mov

Pixel Magic worked on several shots for the film. There's some more info in a Millimeter article- http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mil/features/step_hotel_for_dogs0206/

I will find out who modeled the hotel (I came in near the end of the project). I did lighting, animation, some texturing. Originally the live plate was just a tilt down the front of the Plaza Hotel in L.A. Pixel Magic had to replace the hotel and extend the length of the shot with a crane move that blended into the plate with the tilt down. I tracked the plate in Boujou, then keyframed the longer camera move to blend with the plate. The director also wanted to add some more people walking around at the end. So Pixel shot HD of some people in Pixel's parking lot, rotoed in Motor, and final compositing was done in After Effects. ClothFX was used for the balloons and banner animation. I snapped pics of some shrubs and mapped them onto extruded geometry.

This hotel shot was changed and re-rendered several times. An extremely dilapidated version of the hotel was also modeled and originally there was a transition from the old to the new hotel in this shot. The camera move also went thru several of iterations.

The paint animation was done in RealFlow.

mav3rick
07-13-2009, 04:34 AM
rendered with hv or geometry seq out from rf?

nice work btw

Mr Rid
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
rendered with hv or geometry seq out from rf?

nice work btw

HVs are too encumbered with ball-blobbiness. Meshes may stretch in a much more convincing way. You can see particularly with the yellow mesh-

RealFlow is ideally suited for viscous liquids at around a meter size area, so I was able to spit this shot out in one day. Its more difficult to get water, and RF becomes more problematic at glass-sized or room-sized scales.

Kevin Kipper modeled the upper floors of the hotel to extend the height of a building facade originally shot on Universal's famed New York street lot. After the Universal fire in June of '08 (destroyed the New York area and Courthouse Square where Back to the Future was shot), Mike Ash was assigned modeling/recreating the bottom of the hotel based on photographs.

wildr3d
07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
The balloons look really good, were the pigeons CG too?

Andyjaggy
07-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you guys use AE for all your compositing?

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who uses it for anything other than motion graphics.

Mr Rid
07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
The birds were stock footage.

The balloons look really good, were the pigeons CG too?

The balloons were really the only part I liked about this. I calculated with a vortex wind and ClothFX applied to a low-res proxy set of balloons as one self-colliding object. This was the first time I tried Metalink but it kept distorting the strings in weird ways no matter how I modeled them. I was about to give up when Kevin Kipper suggested trying the old MetaPlug which worked perfectly. Once again, old school. Metalink worked ok with the banner, but I had to keep messing with the corner geometry (where the ropes connect to the eyeholes) before it would stop distorting oddly. The whole clothFX Metalink thing was crashing 9.3 a lot.

The wireframe before calculation.

Do you guys use AE for all your compositing?

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who uses it for anything other than motion graphics.

Pixel Magic uses After Effects and Shake for compositing, depending on the individual compositor's preference. I prefer Fusion and use it for pre-comping. My brain does not grasp After Effects in the least. I have sat down with it a number of times but none of it sticks.

Larry_g1s
07-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Nice work to you and the team. The paint looks super legit. You guys do good work. ;)

CGI Addict
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes, the paint effects work looks very good. Nice work all around. Nice to see Shake get some time in production.

wildr3d
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I was about to give up when Kevin Kipper suggested trying the old MetaPlug which worked perfectly. Once again, old school. Metalink worked ok with the banner, but I had to keep messing with the corner geometry (where the ropes connect to the eyeholes) before it would stop distorting oddly.

Never EVER forget the Old School ways. :)

I had problems with metalink when making car covers, same distortion at the edges. Glad to hear you solved the problem with MetaPlug.

Thanks for sharing how you did those balloons.

Mr Rid
07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Never EVER forget the Old School ways. :)

Just last nite I came across a shot from LW3 days and was remembering how explosions had to be done before particles, voxels or dynamics.
Fractal noise cones, rapidly scaling clusters of single-point-polys, and setups of debris chunks parented to nulls that you keep loading from scene and angling around.

I had problems with metalink when making car covers, same distortion at the edges. Glad to hear you solved the problem with MetaPlug.

Thanks for sharing how you did those balloons.

I will never get it when a software update works worse than an older version. .. a much older version.

wildr3d
07-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Just last nite I came across a shot from LW3 days and was remembering how explosions had to be done before particles, voxels or dynamics.
Fractal noise cones, rapidly scaling clusters of single-point-polys, and setups of debris chunks parented to nulls that you keep loading from scene and angling around.

I will never get it when a software update works worse than an older version. .. a much older version.

Fractal noise, good times.

Check your PrvtMsg Mr. Rid