PDA

View Full Version : OT: Youtube goodness for the musical types

Dexter2999
07-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not a musician but I gather there are more than a couple on these boards.
I thought these clips were pretty entertaining and I figured you guys would have a greater appreciation than I did.

They aren't new, just new to me.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbmWFY7yvY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_f6pfabQk

The animation version was this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIrXGd51jE

Probably shouldnt play this at work. There is some profanity.

dballesg
07-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the links dexter.

Really funny the music ones, but the Disney one is shocking! :)

Maybe that was the real reason they were such a long time after Pixar? ;)

David

biliousfrog
07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Fair play to Disney, hand-drawn animation is very time consuming. Look at any traditional animation, from mighty mouse to Spongebob Squarepants and you'll spot re-used elements...it's why stock libraries are so popular, it's the same principal.

Dexter2999
07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Fair play to Disney, hand-drawn animation is very time consuming. Look at any traditional animation, from mighty mouse to Spongebob Squarepants and you'll spot re-used elements...it's why stock libraries are so popular, it's the same principal.

True enough but you are comparing mass produced animation to feature animation. And I don't equate the quality of two necessarily. One is a 90 minute unique piece done over two or three years. The other is cranking out 20 episodes at 18 minutes a pop (taking out credits and commercials)...so 360 minutes in one year.

I'm not positive but I don't think this happened while Walt Disney was still alive.* The pieces that appear to be guilty are after JUNGLE BOOK which he died before its release. THE ARISTOCATS and ROBIN HOOD two of the big culprits here.
They kind of snapped out it after that. THE RESCUERS, THE FOX AND THE HOUND were nothing like earlier works. Somewhere in there though THE SWORD AND THE STONE dipped back into the vault.

A friend told me recently that the scene for the charging wildebeasts in LION KING were reused for the charging huns in MULAN. I can see doing that, not a problem. That was probably an insane scene to do in the first place.

To be fair a couple of the examples in that clip were weak. The hypnotic snake...so what? They reused that character outright just like Little John was Balloo. (even used the same voice actors didn't they?) I know and I don't care.

The comparison of ballroom dancing scenes? Again, lame. Any wide shot of two people dancing surrounded on a dancefloor (like any wedding) is going to look similar.

*EDIT Apparently this was happening while Walt was alive. I just looked it up and SWORD AND THE STONE was before JUNGLE BOOK. (Didn't know that) So that one had borrowed from HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIONS. Anyway, MOST of the offences seem to have been in the five or six years after Walt's passing.

biliousfrog
07-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah I get both sides of the story but as long as the audience isn't distracted by it I can understand the reasons behind re-using footage, even just as a template. If you look at the actual amount of screen time these elements take up it isn't much different to the various explosions, mocap, props and sound effects that are re-used by FX houses today.

It seems more obvious in the Disney examples but, at the time, most of the audience were consumed by the story and wouldn't even notice that a small piece of animation was similar to something they saw a few years previously. This was before Disney films were streamed into everyone's homes on a regular basis or available to buy at a discount price in the local supermarket.

In another 20 years there'll be a compilation video from the 2000's all using the same mechanical sound effect and everyone will be in shock that nobody noticed...we did but it wasn't important in the grand scheme of things.

cresshead
07-13-2009, 03:12 AM
the music one was a bit lame as we remember the 'lyrics' and melody or 'tune' much more than the backing chords.

the 2d clip show from disney is however really interesting...thier version of a mo cap library!

Dexter2999
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not bashing but I was surprised by the clip. ROBIN HOOD may well have reused characters voices and animation from previous movies, but it is still a better film than TREASURE PLANET, or RETURN TO ATLANTIS, or (in my opinion) BROTHER BEAR.