PDA

View Full Version : RebelHill Character tutorial & UB PLG IK?

battery555
07-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Has anyone bought RebelHill's character rigging tutorial? Is a very good one I must say. It unveiled the myth of lightwave is not good to do CA type of work However the PLG IK plug used in the tute is not available to Mac UB user. There's a PPC version though. Can anyone in the mac community kind enough to look into this and compile it UB version? Is really one great plug in need to have for CA. Those who can afford it go check out his tutorial. You won't regret it if you want to learn the rope of character rigging. While, as least for me he he...

SplineGod
07-11-2009, 05:06 AM
The PLG tools have actually been around a very long time. Im not sure when theyve been updated at all let alone for Mac UB. Would be nice though :)

RebelHill
07-11-2009, 05:56 AM
The PLG was last updated in 07... since then, nothing it would appear. Others I know, or have worked with who use mac platform have tried to track down the author to see if a UB version could be compiled... but to date, no dice.

The plugins are distributed by dstorm, and I know folks have tried to contact them to make enquiries, but, to date, no replies.

If nothing else it'd be nice to get the "OK" from the original author to decompile, and recompile for UB without them having to actually do anything themselves... so if y'all wanna start hunting around the web, and beating down dstorms door... well, its not like it can hurt... but I doubt theres gonna be much luck... shame really. Factornig together speed and ease of setup... accuracy and reliability of the solver, and interactive performance, there really is nothing else like it for LW.

Or, y'know.... get windows (:

JeffrySG
07-12-2009, 07:10 AM
While we are at it, it would be great to get the PLG UV tools ported to UB as well.

If there is any update on this possibly happening or any one can contact the author please let us know! It would really be great!

battery555
07-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Larry, I got your IKBooster tutorial from Kurv. I can't make the head and tail of IKB until I watched your tutorial. It's a powerful tool & animate objects on the fly with minimum set up. Is very stable on mac OS 10.5 & thus far I hardly experience lagging. Sad to learn that this tool is not in development. Hope newtek can come out something close if not better.

Hi RebelHill, no offense to PC user but I'm intimidated by it. I use mac since day 1 and I'm too used to the GUI. For PC, I probably take more time navigating than using the software. Of course this will be different if someone is good at PC.
Looks like the availability of UB version is almost zero. What would be the alternative then? LW original IK just can't cut it :(

walfridson
07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
In some other thread one of the newtek guys said they've been in contact with the developer about taking over the code - no luck there...

RebelHill
07-12-2009, 11:13 AM
LWik does just fine... just a few more steps to set up than PLG, as u have to put the offsets in ursef, and the belnd out for pole/switch, etc, whereas plg has it built in directily. But for straightforward ik without teh switching setups... piece of cake, make joint chain... done.

Plus not sure why intimidated by windows... the gui compared to mac is pretty much identical.

robert_Lavigne
07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Just a suggestion, Go to your newtek my downloads page. Download the cfm version of lightwave. You can have both versions on your computer at once. The cfm version has about 1000 more plugins available for it including Plg Ik. If you have your heart set on rendering and surfacing in UB then once your done animating your character you can bake out the IK and then send the scene into UB.

RebelHill
07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Just a suggestion, Go to your newtek my downloads page. Download the cfm version of lightwave. You can have both versions on your computer at once. The cfm version has about 1000 more plugins available for it including Plg Ik. If you have your heart set on rendering and surfacing in UB then once your done animating your character you can bake out the IK and then send the scene into UB.

Also quite true... This has been common enough for me on anim jobs before when folks have been on mac and Ive worked with plgIK... I just bake out my final anims to keyframes, strip the plg, (or to mdd) and they can load it straight into UB fine.

jwiede
07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately, I find CFM 9.6 significantly less stable (and much slower) than UB 9.6 on my MacPro, and PLG IK seems to reduce 9.6 CFM's stability even further.

Is there any chance you'll put instructions into the tutorials of how to achieve the same things without requiring those plugins?

JeffrySG
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately, I find CFM 9.6 significantly less stable (and much slower) than UB 9.6 on my MacPro, and PLG IK seems to reduce 9.6 CFM's stability even further.

:agree:

SplineGod
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Battery, Thanks thats what I like about it. I will also agree that LWs standard IK is pretty capable. My issue has been that for the past several years more and more studios that use LW expect people who can use every bit of LW and produce shots from beginning to end...models, textures, lighting, rigging and animating but for whatever reasons dont have the extra time to give. It means finding ways to reduce the time where you can. IKB provided a great way to reduce rigging and get on with the actual animating.
That being said, I have found that generally LWs standard IK is capable for most task provided you have the time to setup complex rigs or have the time to show someone how to use IKB. I still setup standard rigs from time to time for people who are just used to doing it that way or have their own preferences on h ow rigs should be setup.
Keep in mind that IKB can also be blended with standard rigs or even PLG rigs.

RebelHill
07-13-2009, 02:52 AM
for the past several years more and more studios that use LW expect people who can use every bit of LW and produce shots from beginning to end...models, textures, lighting, rigging and animating but for whatever reasons dont have the extra time to give.

I hear that!!!

I tried to just be an animator... really I did, but 99% of the time i landed a gig the question invariably followed "btw, can u rig??" Either that or the supplied rig was just rubbish and I had to redo it... how d'ya think I got here, lol.

Thing is... a lot, if not all of LWs regular rigs can be transferred pretty quick and easy from one character to the next, and thats easier still in 9.6.

Where this MYTH came from that u have to rig from scratch everytime u do a new character in LWs own system I do not know... but thats what it is, a myth.

battery555
07-14-2009, 02:03 AM

Thanks for your suggestion Robert. But is always good to do it directly than work around. :(

wesball
02-09-2010, 03:05 AM
So I'm just bumping this thread.

Is there any new word on getting a UB version of this plugin?

jrandom
07-10-2010, 09:25 AM
So I'm just bumping this thread.

Is there any new word on getting a UB version of this plugin?

Ditto this! I just finally successfully downloaded the files and was a little disappointed to find it requires plug-ins that aren't available for UB Mac.

So... PLG-IK and MatchGoalOrientation: How dependent are the tutorials on these two plug-ins? Are there workarounds that don't use them? I just plunked down $102 on these, I'm going to be just a wee bit cranky if they turn out to be unworkable on my system.

Edit: Just discovered that DP_NodeItemMotion is Intel-only. How much of the RH tutorial am I going to be able to use w/out these three plug-ins?

JBT27
07-10-2010, 09:29 AM
In the tutorials, methods using vanilla LW and then methods with third party plugins are discussed and demoed.

Doesn't stop you getting cranky if they don't work, but RebelHill tells it like it is, in depth, which is intensive and refreshing in tutorials this deep.

Julian.

jrandom
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
In the tutorials, methods using vanilla LW and then methods with third party plugins are discussed and demoed.

This is what I had been hoping to hear. :)

raw-m
08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Bring the post back from the dead again.. jrandom, how did you get on without the plug-ins? I'm on a UB Mac and thinking of buying.

jrandom
08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Bring the post back from the dead again.. jrandom, how did you get on without the plug-ins? I'm on a UB Mac and thinking of buying.

I haven't had time to go through the tutorials I bought from him yet. I also have a book on the digital sculpting of people (for ZBrush) have haven't even cracked open. Argh. I'll get to 'em at some point, but I have another project that's eating up all my time at the present.

On the plus side of things, I have a shiny new 12-core Mac on its way. Should make renders just a wee bit faster. :)

raw-m
08-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Understand that! Congratulations on your new monster. Would love one myself but I'm still very happy with my 2008 MP so hopefully won't be needing a new one for a couple of years :)

RebelHill
08-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Well if I might chime in, to try and make things a lil more clear for the mac side, try to explain more completely.

Most importantly is what the tuts are... its not really a guide to building a given type of character rig so much, its a set of tutorials that explain, and experiment their way through a whole bunch of idfferent rigging tools and options in LW, the characters themselves walked through as a set of examples of how those tools could be used to achieve different possible controls, and how the tools can interconnect to create a full rig... but there's no one way, there's different approaches to all the bits.

The PLG stuff is included cos for a long time its been a bit of a life saver in LW, and its still a handy tool to have if you have LW win, but with the changes in 9.6, there's nothing PLG can do taht LW native can't. So much so that I rarely use PLG anymore, certainly not as a basis for a characters main IK (though the curve bone can still come in handy for appendages such as tails or tentacles). My latest and greatest standard rig as outfitted with my new rigger works the same across all platforms, and uses no plugins at all. So even though the PLG specifics in the tuts will be irrelevent to mac users, you wont be missing out on doing any of the clever stuff, and seeing what has been good about PLG, and why, and learning ways to emulate it with native tools may give you new ideas and take you in new directions even if you cant use PLG itself.

daforum
08-22-2010, 10:09 AM
.......My latest and greatest standard rig as outfitted with my new rigger works the same across all platforms, and uses no plugins at all......

Good to hear that your rigger works the same across all platforms.....hmmm.......
.....i'm considering a purchase as i'm on a Mac too........ :)

Ryhnio
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
FYI-

I purchased RebelHill's videos when they first came out and never regretted it! Amazing tool by an amazing teacher- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (regardless of plugin issue). With that being said, I am curious if he plan's on adding more videos...