PDA

View Full Version : New 'District 9' Trailer!

JeffrySG
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809961221/trailer

Yahoo has the new District 9 Trailer. Much more content in this trailer. Looking very cool!

"But... uh... It's not a weapon..." psssstttt.....

http://i29.tinypic.com/ffbn7c.png

http://i26.tinypic.com/208jtwx.png

Shiny_Mike
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
can't wait for this one!

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice to see the mech and the spider bug aliens we did out in the public!

Mike

radams
07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Mike,

Nice work...this looks to be very natural and gritty.
Very nice...did you also do the comps?

Cheers,

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Me personally no, but yes, The Embassy did a bunch of the comp work.

JeffrySG
07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Nice to see the mech and the spider bug aliens we did out in the public!
Mike
That's very cool that you guys worked on this one... :D

Hi Mike,
Cheers,
Yeah, I really like the gritty look of all of the cg elements and designs...

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
That's very cool that you guys worked on this one... :D

Well Neill directed that original Citroen Dancing robot everyone is in love with, it makes sense some of the work came to us.

radams
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Was the grittiness all from the comp or did you also render with this look in mind? Did you do multipass rendering for the comps? Any FBX or Collada outputs? Did you set this up for a 3D comp or 2D comp?

Do you know what compositor your company uses?

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Was the grittiness all from the comp or did you also render with this look in mind? Did you do multipass rendering for the comps? Any FBX or Collada outputs? Did you set this up for a 3D comp or 2D comp?

Do you know what compositor your company uses?

Grittiness rendered in
multipass yes
no FBX or Collada
2d comp
Shake

radams
07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks Mike.

Nice texturing and lighting then...very nice that had to be difficult to match the look and feel from LW. Lot's of tests ?

Cheers,

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mike.

Nice texturing and lighting then...very nice that had to be difficult to match the look and feel from LW. Lot's of tests ?

Cheers,

What LW? LW was not used in our work on D9 at all.

Andyjaggy
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM
What LW? LW was not used in our work on D9 at all.

Modo for modeling and XSI for animation and rendering?

Mike_RB
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Modo for modeling and XSI for animation and rendering?

Yep. (some of the models came to us via weta digital, so they only had UV work in modo).

radams
07-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry for my gaffa, XSI with some models coming from Modo.

Thanks for clarifying things ;)

Cheers,

Kuzey
07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Is this a remake of the tv series V from the 80's?

So far it looks dull and predictable, what's the reason why the aliens with a large UFO can't do what ever they want..eg destroy cities or just vanish back home...why are they stuck here and how can humans with less technology power keep them here or even fight them?

ps. ok..I looked it up and and the plot is unbelievably stupid :hey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9

Kuzey

Mike_RB
07-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Is this a remake of the tv series V from the 80's?

So far it looks dull and predictable, what's the reason why the aliens with a large UFO can't do what ever they want..eg destroy cities or just vanish back home...why are they stuck here and how can humans with less technology power keep them here or even fight them?

ps. ok..I looked it up and and the plot is unbelievably stupid :hey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9

Kuzey

Not a remake, and maybe wait until you've seen it. :)

Titus
07-11-2009, 09:17 AM
The plot is interesting at certain point, but at the end the trailer looks very "transformerish".

Kuzey
07-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, putting the whole plot aside, future trailers should be better than this for sure, otherwise I won't be seeing it. Atm...It kinda feels like a tv movie instead a major film release :hey:

Mike, did you get to see a sneak peak of the whole film?

Kuzey

JeffrySG
07-11-2009, 11:16 AM
The premise seems pretty cool to me. And I love the look and feel of it. In the end it always comes down to how intelligent the story is and how well them pull it off. I hope it's less action and more intelligent meaningful story but I can't really tell at all from the trailers.

Stooch
07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
in the trailer, the guy who was inspecting the vial that sprayed him in the face was doing some very poor acting. looks interesting though. its a continuation of a very short tracking/comp experiement from a couple of years back, johanesburg, its odd to see a tracking experiment become a full feature lol.

shrox
07-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't really care for the design of the ship, too many things to break off or be damaged. Unless the ship is supposed to look like it was cobbled together from other wreckage.

Dexter2999
07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
in the trailer, the guy who was inspecting the vial that sprayed him in the face was doing some very poor acting.

I think that is supposed to be the character trying to perform for a video camera in the scene. It is an example of actors pretending to be really bad actors.

I dont know that for sure but that is the way I saw it.

Dexter2999
07-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I didn't really care for the design of the ship, too many things to break off or be damaged. Unless the ship is supposed to look like it was cobbled together from other wreckage.

You mean like the International Space Station?
http://www.sfwa.org/pressbook/08/08-Covers/international-space-station.jpg

shrox
07-11-2009, 01:43 PM
You mean like the International Space Station?
http://www.sfwa.org/pressbook/08/08-Covers/international-space-station.jpg

The ISS is safe within the Earth's magnetic field, it would not do well on even just a trip to the Moon. It's a violent space out there...remember, we have an giant unshielded fusion reactor just 8 light minutes or so away...

The ship in D-9 just seems like they where trying to be detailed yet save polygons. While it hard to judge a people by the ships they build, it just doesn't look like they would have built that.

crashnburn
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Sounds like Alien Nation meets Species to me, but I reckon it's worth a look, or wait for the reviews lol.

Dexter2999
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
The ISS is safe within the Earth's magnetic field, it would not do well on even just a trip to the Moon. It's a violent space out there...remember, we have an giant unshielded fusion reactor just 8 light minutes or so away...

The ship in D-9 just seems like they where trying to be detailed yet save polygons. While it hard to judge a people by the ships they build, it just doesn't look like they would have built that.

It still looks like a floating trailer park.

Yeah, that's us, Earth, intergalactic trailer trash. Might as well just paint a big ol' Rebel Flag on the solar panels.

And besides, you don't know how the alien ships travel. Could be a space bending system that doesn't incur forces a traditional ship would need to deal with. Or they have force fields.

Stooch
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I think that is supposed to be the character trying to perform for a video camera in the scene. It is an example of actors pretending to be really bad actors.

I dont know that for sure but that is the way I saw it.

wow that is so deep. You know there seems to be alot of actors out there who pretend that they are really bad! they are amazingly convincing.

shrox
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
It still looks like a floating trailer park.

Yeah, that's us, Earth, intergalactic trailer trash. Might as well just paint a big ol' Rebel Flag on the solar panels.

And besides, you don't know how the alien ships travel. Could be a space bending system that doesn't incur forces a traditional ship would need to deal with. Or they have force fields.

Well, a space station is not a ship, no main engines on a space station, it's stationary! Anyway, we will never make very far into space, the physics and the probability that Earth will be severely damaged by an asteroid with the next hundred years is shockingly high. If we didn't know about how doomed we are, we might have done better...

The ISS was designed by a dozen countries as well. Can you tell?

geothefaust
07-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Sounds like Alien Nation meets Species to me, but I reckon it's worth a look, or wait for the reviews lol.

That's EXACTLY what I said. :)

Of course Species sucked and Alien Nation was great... So we'll see which part of that doMinates the Movie.

PS- "M" is key stuck with only uppercase ATM.

shrox
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
...PS- "M" is key stuck with only uppercase ATM.

What, are you using a manual typewriter? Try some WD-40 on that shift key, and maybe the return carriage too.

cresshead
07-11-2009, 04:47 PM
link doesn't work...so found this on youtube...is this the same clip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZnpzfcMheA

update refreshed the link and the vids came in...horrible editing to black on nr every edit...just make me want to turn my head away from the screen...

let's hope the film is not edited by the same idiot

Mike_RB
07-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Well, putting the whole plot aside, future trailers should be better than this for sure, otherwise I won't be seeing it. Atm...It kinda feels like a tv movie instead a major film release :hey:

Mike, did you get to see a sneak peak of the whole film?

Kuzey

I've seen a decent chunk of it and read an earlier version of the script. So I have a pretty good idea how it works out.

Kuzey
07-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I've seen a decent chunk of it and read an earlier version of the script. So I have a pretty good idea how it works out.

I asked because if you saw the whole thing and said it was the best movie of this year....I would have seen it. I did enjoy Ironman and if it's close to that in terms of entertainment, it has something going for it that the trailers aren't showing :D

Mike, did you or your team have any design input on the look of the aliens, robots or ships. You mentioned some models came in already complete. It seems today's aliens all share the same common features, the tentacles on the face or head, it looked cool in "The 5th Element" but it's boring now :hey:

Kuzey

shrox
07-12-2009, 09:41 AM
...It seems today's aliens all share the same common features, the tentacles on the face or head, it looked cool in "The 5th Element" but it's boring now.

Kuzey

Well, it is more interesting than Star Trek's bumpy foreheads...

Kuzey
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, it is more interesting that Star Trek's bumpy foreheads...

Oddly enough, I believe Star Trek even had one (tentacle head alien) in the latest movie :D

It's like robots, they are everywhere...I can't wait for them to move onto a new trend.

Kuzey

shrox
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
...It's like robots, they are everywhere...I can't wait for them to move onto a new trend.

Kuzey

Robots are going to be everywhere! I have a Roomba robot vacuum that works great, but I don't think I would have an android in my house.

Mike_RB
07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
District 9 aside, if we ever do encounter other intelligence in the universe it's more likely to be some kind of advanced machine intelligence than meat-brains. Meat is not portable (doesn't withstand acceleration well), not upgradable, not as easily repairable, meat processes at chemical gradients through a liquid speed, can't make perfect backups, can't update meat over along distance or sync up various individual meat entities for perfect and fast knowledge sharing.

And considering our technological progression over the last 250 years (from horses being the most powerful vehicle) to spacecraft, massive computing, genetics, nano technology, nuclear power... I don't think many meat-origin intelligences that don't manage to kill themselves stay as meat for very long once they aquire these technologies. I think we're in for some big changes soon, maybe 30-200 years human society won't be recognizable at all compared to now.

But then again could you really explain to say, an intelligent roman engineer even 2000 years ago twitter, MRI, GPS, facebook, tokamak reactors, cochlear implants? This will only get harder to do as we move forward.

Bring it on I say, I'd happily upgrade to non-meat, but maybe not version 1.0

shrox
07-12-2009, 01:09 PM
District 9 aside, if we ever do encounter other intelligence in the universe it's more likely to be some kind of advanced machine intelligence than meat-brains. Meat is not portable (doesn't withstand acceleration well), not upgradable, not as easily repairable, meat processes at chemical gradients through a liquid speed, can't make perfect backups, can't update meat over along distance or sync up various individual meat entities for perfect and fast knowledge sharing.

And considering our technological progression over the last 250 years (from horses being the most powerful vehicle) to spacecraft, massive computing, genetics, nano technology, nuclear power... I don't think many meat-origin intelligences that don't manage to kill themselves stay as meat for very long once they aquire these technologies. I think we're in for some big changes soon, maybe 30-200 years human society won't be recognizable at all compared to now.

But then again could you really explain to say, an intelligent roman engineer even 2000 years ago twitter, MRI, GPS, facebook, tokamak reactors, cochlear implants? This will only get harder to do as we move forward.

Bring it on I say, I'd happily upgrade to non-meat, but maybe not version 1.0

Meat isn't as prone to hacking or EMPs, and meat won't blue screen. Well, now that I think about, some meats I know do blue screen, especially while driving...

Mike_RB
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Meat isn't as prone to hacking or EMPs, and meat won't blue screen. Well, now that I think about, some meats I know do blue screen, especially while driving...

Might want to think about the hack-ability of meat once 'script kiddies' are making designer custom bacteria and virii in their garages in 15 years.

blindsided
07-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I guess you have all seen it but anyhoos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

Mike_RB
07-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I guess you have all seen it but anyhoos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

Alive in Joburg was Neill's short film that he fleshed out to a feature length for d9.

G-Man
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Mike, just curious. Lightwave has been the backbone of the Embassy's rendering pipeline for so long, why the entire switch to XSI? Especially for mechanical objects for which you don't have to deal with the painstaking slowness of the mocap data you were dealing with on IronMan. Regardless the VFX look really great in D9.

safetyman
07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Robots are going to be everywhere! I have a Roomba robot vacuum that works great, but I don't think I would have an android in my house.

I would if it looked like Six from Tripping the Rift! You know, maybe with a little French Maid outfit.. uh... huuummpph. Sorry -- Just had a good mental picture there.

Mike_RB
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Mike, just curious. Lightwave has been the backbone of the Embassy's rendering pipeline for so long, why the entire switch to XSI? Especially for mechanical objects for which you don't have to deal with the painstaking slowness of the mocap data you were dealing with on IronMan. Regardless the VFX look really great in D9.

After IM we went full modo-XSI. Moving animation data back to LW was getting too annoying. Picasso, the Star Wars Ads, and D-9 are all full XSI/MR for finishing. The rendering pipeline and how it ties into XSI passes are just awesome.

G-Man
07-29-2009, 10:25 AM
After IM we went full modo-XSI. Moving animation data back to LW was getting too annoying. Picasso, the Star Wars Ads, and D-9 are all full XSI/MR for finishing. The rendering pipeline and how it ties into XSI passes are just awesome.

Thanks, that's understandable.

realgray
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Thought this was interesting. Neill used Lightwave to do the original

http://features.cgsociety.org/cgfilms/cgfilm.php?story_id=3280

Jim_C
07-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Reports from early screenings have been GLOWING!

and at only 30mil to make!!

Can't wait. Thanks for all the content posted here.

Mike_RB
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Reports from early screenings have been GLOWING!

and at only 30mil to make!!

Can't wait. Thanks for all the content posted here.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the entire completed film, should be fun.

JCG
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
100% fresh on the tomatometer.

Mike_RB
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Saw it today, loved it!

Chris S. (Fez)
08-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Saw it today, loved it!

Went to the midnight screening. ******* awesome. I recommend avoiding all reviews. The less you know going in the better.

Great work on the "betting bugs" and mech btw.

IgnusFast
08-14-2009, 09:14 PM
LOVED the movie. Much more dark and graphic than I'd anticipated, but it all fit. My wife is still a little bothered by it; she already thinks humans are crap. lol

toby
08-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Just saw it, outstanding integration, best I've seen. The character animation was, thank god, nothing like Shrek and Spiderman. Can't say much for the story or screenplay, although it was better than the majority of hollywood action films.