PDA

View Full Version : X Wings

Solaris
08-23-2003, 05:39 PM
hi guys !!
this is a pic from an animation with x wings!

what are ya guys thinking about modelling and tex.!
what things can made be better??

marlo.steed
08-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Nice looking image. Here are a couple of suggestions: First the wings need a bit more depth to suggest that they have some thickness (now they look paper thin). Another subtle thing is that some of the structures along the wings have overly hard edges. Try beveling those to make them look a bit more realistic. Of course if you are doing an animation both suggestions can probably be ignored because an animation is forgiving when it comes to details.

Solaris
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
thank you for that tips Marlo !!

I,ll work on it !!!:) :)

richpr
08-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Nice!

I'd lower the purple just a bit... And maybe a bit of variation... Should be a bit different on the ships, especially if the exhaust moves a bit too... Could grow with thrust and lower if slowing down. Like the one ship that seems to break away, would be firing its thrusters a bit... The others could still be in cruising mode, but follow after...

You might want to use some motion blur as well...

Solaris
08-23-2003, 11:25 PM
much thanks again to you!!!
i know what you mean with motion blur!
but it took to much render times if i work with blurs.
my PC is a slow one!

and after time its boring to waiting always for a preview
i think you understand what i mean !!

thank you:)

Microbex
08-24-2003, 06:21 AM
"ARRRGH im gonna crash!!! - i will revenge this!":D

Real nice models btw! I hope i learn to texture like that soon.
Keep up the good work.

Phil
08-27-2003, 04:20 AM
You probably want to dirty up the textures slightly. The red areas in particular look as though the ships have just come from the shipbuilders yard, rather than any that have seen real use. Some variation in texture (bumps, scuff markers, scorch marks, etc.) would give this setup a significant amount of life, if used in moderation and to make the models appear less identical :)

hiespike
08-27-2003, 10:14 AM
hi,
looks good so far. But it lacks depth.
These are just suggestions...but, try changing the ships orientations and positions. Right now we see the exact same spot on each ship (the top), and their not arranged for maximum cinematic appeal.
But you can ignore what I wrote above...and just play with the lighting. I like lighting that hypo-realistic. So, even though there probably isn't much light up there in empty space...ad highlights on the bottom of the ships in a complimentary color to your key light...and just play with the lighting.
Hope I didn't bring up too many issues. I just think this has potentail that could be reached by very little extra work.

peace,

Solaris
08-27-2003, 10:33 PM
thx hiespike for the tip with lightning!
i tryd to make dark space atmosphere with one sun!
this is a screenshot of a little animation.i do it from the rear of the ships because i thought that was the best looking image for a gallery.
this is why they flying to one direction and seen only top side.
thank you guys for all critiks.its good to make things better.

:)
PS: its a little intro i made it for a friend 2-3 years ago.:)

Draven
08-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Increase the intensity of your key light. Add fill lights. The textures on the X-Wings look like procedurals slapped on instead of textures made to fit the wings. The red part on the wings is too saturated. Also, according to the red markings, all the pilots in this flight have the exact same rank in the squadron. While there is an excuse for not varying the markings in motion control, in CG there really isn't.

A little more specular variation and some bump mapping wouldn't hurt either.

Kenshin_X_66
08-28-2003, 07:03 AM
Looking good, i like the formation of the ships etc., it looks like the SE star wars with the fleet ready to attck the death star

a few minor points though

behind the cockpit you should be able to see the head of the R2 droid that acts as co-pilot

the red areas on the wings and down the side of the fuselage should vary from ship to ship, if you check out the movies all x-wings have a unique wing pattern

Kenshin_X_66
08-28-2003, 07:11 AM
me again

heres a blueprint of the X-Wing to show position of R2 unit, hope it helps

Solaris
08-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Can anybody explain me how to send an avi-file or something similar ..... Help needed !!!

KissMyGrits
08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
www.ap3d.com/betterspace

Draven
08-28-2003, 06:52 PM
I've used something similar with my mars ship...

Draven
08-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Here's a URL:

http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/Xwing.html

for real X-Wing reference, just get this book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345409809/ref=qid=1062120664/sr=50-pd_sr_ec_cs_b/ref=sr_50_pd_sr_ec_cs_b_b-koth-pa1/002-5321200-6717614?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Solaris
08-28-2003, 11:22 PM
thanks you for the tipps guys! its looking good with lensflares!
you know i work sometimes with flares and sometimes with glow!
i know theres no r2 unit 'cause i wanted to make a modell that is a bit different to the original! :)

Draven
08-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Its supposed to be an X-Wing. Everyone knows what an X-Wing looks like and everyone expects to see an astromech of some type (doesn't have to be R2 series, they have shown R5 series ones in there too) behind the cockpit. If you're building a model of something that established you're best off making it as accurate as possible to the original.