PDA

View Full Version : General plugin question

Eroneouse
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi its that annoying new bloke again. I am not a complete novice when it comes to plugins, messing with 3DS max from version 3.5 onwards I used a fair few plugins to do variouse things so I am wondering now about LW plugins for the PC version.

1, Are they essential for LW 9.6 in order to achieve good professional results or can LW stand on its own two feet in that regard.

2, which are the best IE most used, most stable of the plugins out there and what do those do exactly and which are the worst most prone to cause crashes/bad results.

The main reason I am asking is if I do buy LW I want to waste as little time as possible trying loads of plugins that I may hardly ever use or that may end up crashing the program or my overall system.

A different unrelated question is would it be better to have LW on the same hard drive as the place where the renders/animations are stored or would it be better to have the program on one drive and the file storage for those on another IE would there be an overall speed increase depending on how that was set up or would it not matter at all.

I did have a look around at plugin posts but theres so many I thought I would save a couple of weeks reading and ask directly :) answers from anyone at all about plugins appreciated.

BeeVee
07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi,

You don't need to try a bunch of plugins, only the ones you need to get a job done. I wouldn't be concerned, LightWave is very capable out of the box and many people use it without any addons. For your second question, I have LightWave at the root of one drive, and my content on a different drive that is also backed up (or should be). Loading and saving scene files and objects is not going to be a bottleneck for the speed of your scenes.

B

Eroneouse
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I am happy to hear that its very capable straight outta the box I would hope that would be the case as thats how I would be useing it at least until I get my head round how the major functions operate.

shrox
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Since Lightwave uses words rather than icons, figuring out stuff is much easier than Max or Maya. That makes getting up to speed much faster.

Eroneouse
07-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I really liked max when I was playing with it I managed a couple of reasonable animations. I got very used to the way it was layed out and found it not too hard going. I have only had the briefest of looks at maya, not too much point in playing with it yet as theres no way I can afford the unlimited version and I recall LW mostly from my amiga days but have never had too close a look at the PC version. As a hopeful who wants to break into the advertising world with plans to work on a more longer term project.

From what I have read thus far over the last few weeks LW seems to be the app to buy. Both from its capabilitys point of view and also from a cost point of view. Also the amount of tutorial clips and resources I am see around the place both here and on other sites is also encouraging me to head LW's way, thanks for the responses so far :)

JeffrySG
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Also in regards to the plugins; if you find that LW doesn't do somethng that you need there is a good chance that there is a plugin for it. Just ask here or you can search flay.com or the LW plugin database. Everyone needs different things so everyone would have different plugins on there must have list.

AdamAvenali
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
...must have list.

i actually think there are a few threads floating around here that show exactly that, where everyone posted which plug-ins they use most frequently.

edit: i managed to find the thread about modeler: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86841&highlight=plug

but, as others have mentioned, lightwave is completely capable on its own, it's just a matter of personal preference :thumbsup:

BeeVee
07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Also, I challenge you to get to grips with everything that comes with LightWave before you look for plugins... 2009 marks my 20th year with the package (ish) and I haven't... :D

B