PDA

View Full Version : Mac Expo Paris

Darth Mole
08-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Even though NewTek's European offices are based in France, I notice there's no sign of NT on the exhibitor's list.

Would have been nice for people outside of the US to get demos of LW[8].

Still, Maya will be there to help people make their 3D buying decisions...

Beamtracer
08-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see Newtek become more involved in Mac expos, like that other unmentionable new competitor has been doing lately.

Darth Mole
08-24-2003, 05:12 AM
I know attending these things is expensive, but when you can sit and get a hands-on with the software, and talk to people who use it regularly, it's a really strong marketing tool. I've been to Expos in London and visitors leave with arm-fulls of kit.

How many seats of LW do you need to sell to make up your booth cost? Not many, I'd wager.

Fortunately, Maxon aren't attending either - which is odd...

Ge4-ce
08-24-2003, 05:29 AM
Problem is that these Macworld expo's are more consumer-based. I went to Paris last year, and will be there this year. My experience was that 95% of the show was based on really low-end users.. You know.. all the printer manufacturers,.. scanners.. input devices... and some basic home-use software.

Face it.. When you show Lightwave to the majority of the home public.. they will think: what the hell is that! and their second reaction: Oh, too difficult for me..

There are far more interesting shows to attend for Newtek. Siggraph, and other proffessional shows.. esspecially for the movie and TV audience. there you can make money.. not at Macworld..

and yes: it does cost a lot to attend! I thought it was something about 200 euros, or dollars per square meter per day. Everything inclusive (personnel, stand, publicity,...)

This one is based on the price of a stand from "Hasselblad" at Photokina in Keulen in Germany. They had a stand of about 400 square meters (20 by 20) for one week and it costed about 600 000 euros or dollars..

you have to sell a lot to make that even...

Beamtracer
08-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Maybe the cheaper and better way is to get up onstage like Brad Peebler did (with Steve Jobs) at the Apple WWDC. I wonder how he did organize that?

Apple got their money's worth too, as they had Peebler publicly supporting their G5 benchmark claims for weeks afterwards.