PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave with backburner

zardoz
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I work at a studio where everyone uses max or xsi and they use autodesk's backburner to queue the renders etc, both for max and xsi (with some scripts I guess).

When I want to use the farm (or some of the computers) I have to shutdown backburner so it doesn't start while lightwave is rendering.

Is it possible to control lightwave queue with backburner? this way I could use backburner like everyone else there.

tx

3D Kiwi
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I would say no. Im guessing they are using mental ray with max and xsi, so on my understanding you just have to convert the xsi scene to something that backburner will read.

Deadline would be a good option as it can render all 3d apps and you can set groups of nodes to deal with each app if needed.

RebelHill
07-09-2009, 02:03 AM
deadline, eh... i hadnt heard of that.

Otherwise I think its got to be a no on backburner.... However, if its not rendering anything, surely the render manager by itself cant eat up that much ram, or cpu cycles... Does it cause some issues if its not shutdown before running LW?

zardoz
07-09-2009, 02:43 AM
well xsi is working completely in backburner (mental ray) but they use some custom made scripts to do it.
Max most of the time (90%) is using vray and some times mental ray.
When you open backburners manager you see the xsi scenes on the queue list with the max scenes and it works flawlessly.
It is a hassle for me not having lightwave able to do the same thing because they are not going to change this for one person (yep...I'm the only lightwave seat in 20 people).

RebelHill, yep if it's not rendering anything there's no problem having it on, but if the manager finds backburner running it immediately sends jobs to these computers. This happened twice yesterday because I forgot to turn it off. And with lightwave eating 3 gigs and then max starts for 5gigs or more...lets say the flow of frames from that computer slows down a bit lol

I know that in the market exist several render solutions that can handle lightwave max and xsi, but like I said, they are not going to change to another because of one person.

One of my mates there told me that he knows someone who managed to do some code and have lightwave rendering with backburner but my friend only has his contact on msn and he's not been online lately.

So I was just trying to find out if someone had managed to have lightwave working in backburner.

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Does backburner allow you to launch custom scripts as a render task?
That would allow you to hack something together.

Cheers,
Mike

zardoz
07-09-2009, 05:04 AM
actually I already talked to one of my friends that helped with backburner and xsi and he told me that xsi works with backburner without scripts. what he did was simply helping with some xsi scripts that create directories and organize files...nothing to do with backburner. But he told me that he will look into it and he will tell me if is it possible to use it with lightwave.

3D Kiwi
07-09-2009, 05:23 AM
let us know how you get on, would be very intresting to see lightwave rendering with backburner

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 06:30 AM
I just did a quick look at the googley bits, have a look for cmdjob in the docs.
I suppose one could even write a small LScript to automatically send the current scene to backburner.

Cheers,
Mike

zardoz
07-09-2009, 06:50 AM
yeah my friend also told me about this cmdjob file...some years ago he did some lightwave plugins, and he actually did a farm manager much better than screamernet about 10 years ago. He's quite a good programmer so lets see if he has the time to help me/us with this.

mikala
07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh this is interesting.
Will be watching this one.

zardoz
07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
ok good news. my friend just called me saying that from what he checked it's perfecty posssible to make lightwave run with backburner. This week he'll meet with me and we will start looking into this. If it's possible to have After Effects running with backburner quite probably lightwave is able to do the same.

So if everything goes well next week I'll have news, hopefully good ones.

zardoz
07-16-2009, 02:38 AM
ok bad news...unfortunately my friend will have to be away for some time and this will be waiting because I don't know any other programmer...he told me that an lscript could be written to send the scene to backburner but now he won't have the time and he won't be around to do it.
If somehow I'll manage to get this to work I'll post it here.
cheers

archijam
07-16-2009, 02:48 AM
I like the good news part .. just re-installed backburner this morning .. keep on this one zardos :thumbsup:

geo_n
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Backburner working for lw? CooL!

The Dommo
07-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Can you install Backburnr if you have no Autodesk apps?

archijam
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM

You can install it as part of the default trial of 3DS Max. I am not sure if it also expires when the 30 day limit kicks in .. interesting one to chase up ..

zardoz
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure but you can download it here
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7115168&linkID=9241178

geo_n
08-09-2009, 07:05 AM
any updates?

3DGFXStudios
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM

Why do you want to install backburner if you haven't got autodesk software?