PDA

View Full Version : I'm in heaven! :D

Matt
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
It just doesn't get any better than this for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5coTrNI5KEk

:D

cresshead
07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
cool insight on how to draw those characters

IMI
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Man that was such a cool game.
I can still clearly remember being a kid at the arcade and dumping far too many quarters into it for hours on end.

Matt
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Man that was such a cool game.
I can still clearly remember being a kid at the arcade and dumping far too many quarters into it for hours on end.

Enough to have bought the machine outright! Me too!

IMI
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Enough to have bought the machine outright! Me too!

You bought the arcade machine? really? Man, you're hardcore!

adamredwoods
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Nice!

How does the DVD compare to the arcade? I never played the arcade version much.
Is it out on Blu-ray yet?

Matt
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
You bought the arcade machine? really? Man, you're hardcore!

Nooooooooooooooo! I wish! I was saying I probably spent enough in the arcade to have bought one!

Nice!

How does the DVD compare to the arcade? I never played the arcade version much.
Is it out on Blu-ray yet?

It's pretty good actually, although I think Digital Leisure could have done a better job of the actual game interface. Worth it just for having all the videos. Bluray version is out, yes, so is Space Ace:

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/Blurayvideo_games.htm

Hopper
07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Nooooooooooooooo! I wish! I was saying I probably spent enough in the arcade to have bought one!
I thought of Matt the other day... I went to an auction that was rumored to have some vintage custom guitars up for grabs. Well, I only had about an hour to peruse some of the items on display. Well, there sat the stand-up Dragons Lair arcade game in the corner. I didn't realize it was being auctioned until I saw the item number tag on the side.

I think Matt would have cried. I don't think I will even mention what it went for.

And unfortunately for me, some local guitar resellers got word of the auction and I got outbid on an original 1958 Les Paul that has never been touched with a serial number of #0000-04

Matt
07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Ahhhh go on, what did it go for?

To be honest, the upkeep cost of on one of those original laser disc arcade machines is probably quite high, they were always breaking down!

I just fired up the Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair HD on Vista (don't think I've tried it since I upgraded) guess what, don't work!

The player .exe part of the package on every version I've had never worked right, it's the worst piece of programming I've seen, I mean, it's not doing much; play a video, time the input, match to a list of timings for correct / incorrect moves, play death sequence if not, keep playing if correct.

I could do something better using Director, no, seriously, I _could_.

JeffrySG
07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I thought of you when I saw this in the Apple Store.... do you have an iPhone?

dweinkauf
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I interviewed Don Bluth about the time Space Ace was in production. A short time after I returned home, Don gifted me with an original cel of Dirk from the Dragon's Lair arcade game. It's one of my prized possessions.

biliousfrog
07-09-2009, 12:35 AM
And unfortunately for me, some local guitar resellers got word of the auction and I got outbid on an original 1958 Les Paul that has never been touched with a serial number of #0000-04

I expect you did unless you're made of money :D ...50k+?...I'm not sure how the recession has affected guitar sales but 58 LP's have always been the most sought after and I know that classic car prices have gone up recently. I know that one of Gary Moore's 58's went for around $300k recently.

RebelHill
07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
match to a list of timings for correct / incorrect moves, play death sequence if not, keep playing if correct.

Sounds like my life...

Dont remember ever seeing the arcade game... But i used to play it on the amstrad!!!

Matt
07-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I interviewed Don Bluth about the time Space Ace was in production. A short time after I returned home, Don gifted me with an original cel of Dirk from the Dragon's Lair arcade game. It's one of my prized possessions.

Actually, I don't have any DL or SA memorabilia at all, never tried to find any.

But an original cell would indeed be a prized possession!

Matt
07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I think I'll be buying Street Fighter IV too! And that X-Arcade stick might have to be a purchase too!

TimothyB
07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I'll probably be able to see the arcade machines this weekend at the 2 day California Extreme: http://www.caextreme.org/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6W_vFXQLA4

Last time I was there they had Dragon's Lair 1 & 2, Space Ace, and many poorly animated clones from the time, except the new and great, but ill fated, "The Act" that was there. All games are setup for free play. Usually you'll have someone there with experience to watch finish the game in one go.

I never got to play them when I was a kid, too young. And when DVDs were new, I bought it but returned right away because of the horrible pause after every move that broke the action (when DVD players were still $300 minimum). Maybe it's better now, and I hope the Blu-ray version doesn't suffer this. They have Space Ace on the iPhone now, so I hope Dragon's Lair is around the corner.

But I'm so glad Don created his new site, www.donbluthanimation.com. Without any new films, it was like his talent was wasting away, but now he's sharing his knowledge through the new site. With more videos like linked by the OP, many more if you subscribe, DVDs tutorials for sale with exclusive content. He even just launched a mentor service. Something like 30 bucks, send him your sequence you are working on, he'll then redraw 3 drawings from the sequence while explaining how to improve, etc. It's been fun participating in a few forum drawing challenges, and now being part of the 3 minute short film project that anyone can give a shot at.

JamesCurtis
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Just wanted everyone on this thread to know that I have one of the actual Laserdiscs from the Space Ace arcade machines. It was purchased years ago when LD's were popular. I also still have two Laserdisc machines [and a number of movies too], but the heaviness of the Space Ace arcade disc [it's 1/8 inch Aluminum backed] is hard on the player's drive motor(s). It's just kinda nice to have a piece of arcade history. Hope someday to get the BD's.

Sarford
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
He likes dragons lair too I guess :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/28184

doimus
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Ok, let's hijack this thread a bit.

This is something that bugs me since I guess forever... and that is... how the hell do these guys (pro animators, illustrators etc.) sharpen their pencils so nicely?

No, really - how come every pencil sharpener I ever tried makes stubby tipped pencils and those guys always have nice, elongated pencil tips?
Do they use some special sharpeners made by old samurai sword masters?
Is this yet another imperial vs. metric issue and metric sharpeners suck?

JeffrySG
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Well if you want a really sharp pencil you should use a mechanical pencil with a lead sharpener. Super sharp points... I used to love these...

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-pencil-sharpeners---erasing-supplies-lead-pointers-mini-rotary-lead-pointer.html

Matt
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Do they use some special sharpeners made by old samurai sword masters?

Close, a craft knife!

safetyman
07-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I still have all my "lead holders" as they are called from my drafting days in high school. Yes, I actually used to create pictures by hand, not with a mouse.

Here is my Dragon's Lair story: I went on vacation when the game first came out and they had one of the console's in a local mall. I must have played it for 5 straight days and finally finished it. When I got back home, the arcade I went to had just gotten one and I could beat the game in one go. I would have a huge crowd around me, watching me play. One the very last move, I would finish the joystick/button combo and then just walk away while the last sequence played, like Barry Bonds hitting a home run. I was a god! LOL.

Hopper
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I expect you did unless you're made of money :D ...50k+?...I'm not sure how the recession has affected guitar sales but 58 LP's have always been the most sought after and I know that classic car prices have gone up recently. I know that one of Gary Moore's 58's went for around $300k recently.
We'll just say I was prepared. I'm a collector. :)

The bid was past the calculated ROI for a 15 year investment. That's considered a bad purchase unless you just simply have to have it for other reasons.