PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on Google!?

toby
07-08-2009, 03:48 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139711.stm

[Newtek]"Oh my god, another mouth to feed".

biliousfrog
07-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Only if you want to run Lightwave on a netbook...which would be a struggle

cresshead
07-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Only if you want to run Lightwave on a netbook...which would be a struggle

i render some scenes out on my samsung netbook! [windows xp]

also note that the google o/s is a web browser based o/s and not a proper o/s at all from what i read so far.

3DGFXStudios
07-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Just an other Linux distro...

Bill Carey
07-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Sounds like Android on steroids. Not sure what good it is unless they try to follow the Verizon model and call it a big phone.

Matt
07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
I can see it now, ads appearing at the side suggesting items for sale that resemble what your modelling!

Thing is, it's a huge effort to bring an app to a completely new OS, and people will only use an OS if the apps they use are available for it, and it would have to be _all_ the apps they use, not just one or two. And if the OS doesn't have a large user base to make it viable, then the software won't get coded for it, and because the software people might want isn't available, they won't use it, and because the the user base is small, the developers won't port their app to it .....

See the vicious cycle here? We've already seen the exact same thing in the early days of Apple (even now to some extent with certain apps).

So Google would need to ensure enough developers indeed port their apps in order for it to become any threat to Microsoft or Apple.

BeOS anyone? (And the rest)

archijam
07-08-2009, 06:43 AM
I dont think they want anyone else's apps.

just look at your google mail bar:
Gmail Calendar Documents Photos Reader Sites Web More

under 'More':
Images Video Maps News Shopping Groups Books Scholar Finance Blogs
even more

Under 'Even More':
etc ..

They already have a word processing suite built in with documents, spreadsheets and presentation capabilities .. I think they will be aiming only at the internet/office/flash game market.

Plus some SketchUp, and whatever they buy up in the meantime.

accom
07-08-2009, 07:36 AM
More or less I agree with what Matt said. And besides that, don't forget how small portion of all Computer applications are 3D apps... I guess 90 % of computers have never ever seen a 3D app...

cresshead
07-08-2009, 07:57 AM
google are going cloud computing but want a base browser based o/s/ that gets ZERO viruses..looks to me like thay want a friendly linux/apple type o/s to base their world domination around.

borkus
07-08-2009, 07:57 AM
I think it's a great idea. I can buy a fairly low end netbook that I only plan to surf the net with and not have Micro**** on it... That alone makes me smile...

Sekhar
07-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Chrome OS is for web based apps on Netbooks really, so I doubt either the OS or the hardware would support CPU/graphics intensive stuff to begin with.

cresshead
07-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I think it's a great idea. I can buy a fairly low end netbook that I only plan to surf the net with and not have Micro**** on it... That alone makes me smile...

no for me THAT alone makes me not want it at all...what's the point of having baby linux when you can't run proper apps at all...

seems more like an over fed 'smart phone' which is ultimatley a dumb'd down restictive, under performing, non capable pc....of NO use to me at all

i want a browser, AND my apps like pshop, lw, max, zbrush, youtube, vid player, and not ring fenced with Gword, Gspreadsheet, Gwhizz.

this thing sounds like a comon nightmare of f'n office apps for stuffed shirts writing reports on how sunny jim turned uptoday with a non regulation tie to the office whilstmary yet again rolled in covered in tatoo's and a short skirt but looked 'fab'.

IMI
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I for one am getting tired of Google. They're like sand at the beach - they get into everything. ;)

MooseDog
07-08-2009, 08:59 AM
i think it's a great move in that competition benefits all of us.

from what i've read, they have no intention of making it a full-fledged desktop os and environment. if, as cress notes, that's what you want, this software and associated hardware won't be for you.

neverko's consistent astro-turfing is of course risible.

but for the millions of people who are sent on the road every day by their company, it *could* be a secure, low-cost communication tool with the mother ship.

the real effort though is google buying web traffic, any way they can. as traffic for them is money in the bank. services, applications, local and remote software...it's all in pursuit of web traffic.

cresshead
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
this google o/s will be competing with the apple iphone and the blackberry phone more than a linux netbook or a xp netbook

if they are going from the ground up then touch based o/s is the obvious route to take and partner up with h.p., samsung or dell for the hardware.

MooseDog
07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
this google o/s will be competing with the apple iphone and the blackberry phone more than a linux netbook or a xp netbook....

only tangentially. they've stated that, yeah, there will be some inevitable overlap with smartphones, like their own android system, but their goal is to consciously avoid that and aim for an entirely different market.

two different products: android and chrome os, two different markets.

cresshead
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
only tangentially. they've stated that, yeah, there will be some inevitable overlap with smartphones, like their own android system, but their goal is to consciously avoid that and aim for an entirely different market.

two different products: android and chrome os, two different markets.

really?...don't reckon so myself...let's see, do you expect adobe, autodesk, EA games, corel, blender, firefox, internet explorer, safari to make their apps available on google chrome o/s or will we in fact be seeing some iphone type apps appear on google chrome o/s

i think we'll get some smart phone type apps not any mainstream prductive stuff othe than 'office apps'.

it's gonna be a big fat smartphone, nothing more and one that probably won't be able to use as a phone other than voip.

the only reason they [google] would opt for their own o/s rather than a linux custom chop shop varient is that they want to embed 'google' thru-out it and maybe tag on a touch capability.

just don't get the idea as yet...seems a lame duck to start off with..unless that do something amazing with it..

biliousfrog
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I think that it's quite a good idea, Netbooks are designed for surfing the net and basic PC duties, Google is the biggest name on the web - put them both together and you have a portable device which is not just capable of word processing and surfing the web, it is the web. It's got to be a good thing, if anyone can make netbooks more 'net' Google seems like the best choice.

MooseDog
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
really?...don't reckon so myself...let's see, do you expect adobe, autodesk, EA games, corel, blender, firefox, internet explorer, safari to make their apps available on google chrome o/s or will we in fact be seeing some iphone type apps appear on google chrome o/s

mostly nope. not at all. if it helps a guy on the road check inventory with a client ready to buy, access trading systems from his hotel room, write letters from a pub, watch a movie on a plane, i.m. with his kids, etc etc, then a developer will probably be willing to pursue this.

and if a company can send someone out on the road without worrying how many viruses the computer returns with **cough windows cough**, that has real value.

does this sound like a smartphone on steroids as you mentioned? that's probably really really close to the truth.

but even that has value to millions of businesses around the world.

cresshead
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
the thing to look at here is the lack of marketshare the linux based netbooks have made compared to xp based netbooks. It is true to say that there was a surge of interest in linux based netbooks at the begining but after a few hiccups of certain linux based netbooks having issues with such basics as wifi and anyone on tap to fix a small problem they have all but slinked off into a dark corner, with just diehard net developers eager to get 'anything' linux based.

in the race for the ultimate portable computer that is actully 'portable' and comes in at around 1kg we have>>

apple iphone
blackberry phones
xp based netbooks
the kindle...maybe version 3 will become more of a portable computer?
the android phone maybe the only one to hold it's head up somewhere near an iphone
the palm pre...
most other 'smartphones' are simply to stupid to be used as such...my lg cookie is far too simplistic and clunky in operation to be of much use even if it were turbocharged!

the google netbook o/s is entering a very competative area, id guess that it would simply HAVE to be used via touch to break into the netbook market held by asus, samsung, dell and msi.

MooseDog
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
a really crowded and really competitive market! :agree:

have you seen this before?

CrunchPad (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/)

how it all sorts out should be interesting: one device to rule them all? a jungle of competing devices?

toby
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Well I hope no one took the title of this thread seriously. If it did happen it would take ten years. Unless Google came up with an unbelievable beast maybe.

cresshead
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Well I hope no one took the title of this thread seriously. If it did happen it would take ten years. Unless Google came up with an unbelievable beast maybe.

well if google base it around linux/unix then lightwave core will run on it with a minor code tweek, same with maya and xsi

Mr Rid
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Sounds like most of you underestimate Google's intention. NPR mentioned they fully intend a new OS in the land. It aint just about netbooks.

"One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market," said Mr Enderle."

Fierce words!

cresshead
07-09-2009, 07:36 AM
hardware makers for google chrome o/s>>

The search giant said it was working with many firms on Chrome OS hardware including Acer, Asus, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, and Toshiba.

In a blog post announcing the hardware partners, Google said that the code for the Chrome OS would be open sourced in late 2009. Google said that the software will be free to download and use.

The first netbooks that can run the software will be ready in late 2010. Since Asus launched the first netbook the cut-down computers have proved hugely popular.

Analyst firm Gartner predicts that 80% more netbooks will be sold in 2009 than sold in 2008. However, so far, the small computers only make up 8% of the total PC market.

The Chrome OS will be designed to work with Intel chips that appear in the vast majority of desktop PCs, laptops and netbooks as well as the Arm chips that power most of the world's mobile phones. Texas Instruments and Qualcomm, who both build devices based around Arm chips, were also unveiled as partners on the Chrome OS project.

In a blog post announcing some of the hardware partners, Google also said it was working with Adobe on the operating system. This could turn out to be significant because of the wide use of Adobe's Flash software.

Flash is used to power many multimedia websites but Adobe has been working hard to extend its capabilities via the Air technology and make it more web-centric too. Microsoft is developing its Silverlight technology to do a similar job.

<<end of cut n paste from bbc site>>

so why not just go Linux?
the only reason i can come up with is that Google also want to behave like microsoft,tie in their browser to a o/s
by default.

Sekhar
07-09-2009, 08:39 AM
so why not just go Linux?
the only reason i can come up with is that Google also want to behave like microsoft,tie in their browser to a o/s
by default.

Chrome OS *is* Linux, with customizations on the top.

cresshead
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Chrome OS *is* Linux, with customizations on the top.

if that's the case then Google hasn't made a new operating system have they?...
hey've simply rebranded an existing o/s

why exactly that would take years to throw on a google start button onto a edited version of say ubuntu i have no clue same with the 'news'...it's not news is it really??

here's me thinking Google actually did some work...looks like all they needed to do was hire a design guy for a week and a small dev team to a month...that's exactly what you get with the acer, eee variants of linux on their netbooks right now anyhow...

that's unless they have totally re approached Linux from the ground up....and intel only??

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
if that's the case then Google hasn't made a new operating system have they?...
hey've simply rebranded an existing o/s

You mean like Apple did with OS X? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cresshead
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
You mean like Apple did with OS X? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

yeah wasn't OSX a re-brand of neXT operating system...which it'self was based on unix [35+years old o/s]

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
yeah wasn't OSX a re-brand of neXT operating system...which it'self was based on unix [35+years old o/s]
Yup. Then again, even NT based OSes are (only conceptually though) based on VMS.

Oh well... Then again the times when one would write a complete OS from scratch are certainly over (Linux owes a lot to the GNU tools in that regard). There's certainly nobody writing the complete GUI for an OS in 6 weeks anymore.

Cheers,
Mike

frantbk
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I can see it now, ads appearing at the side suggesting items for sale that resemble what your modelling!

Thing is, it's a huge effort to bring an app to a completely new OS, and people will only use an OS if the apps they use are available for it, and it would have to be _all_ the apps they use, not just one or two. And if the OS doesn't have a large user base to make it viable, then the software won't get coded for it, and because the software people might want isn't available, they won't use it, and because the the user base is small, the developers won't port their app to it .....

See the vicious cycle here? We've already seen the exact same thing in the early days of Apple (even now to some extent with certain apps).

So Google would need to ensure enough developers indeed port their apps in order for it to become any threat to Microsoft or Apple.

BeOS anyone? (And the rest)

Just wait until Google makes it so Windows & Apple OS' won't function properly with Google search. everybody has done it at one time or another,... trying to keep their competition from running well on their apps.

Google could be on the road to knocking itself off as king of the hill.

frantbk
07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Sounds like most of you underestimate Google's intention. NPR mentioned they fully intend a new OS in the land. It aint just about netbooks.

"One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market," said Mr Enderle."

Fierce words!

They can try, but I doubt it will happen with Google's current Eula on Chrome. Not many companies will allow an OS the freedom to pinch their copyrighted material just because it was up-loaded to the Internet with Google's software. When the small companies become big they get stupid.

cresshead
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
They can try, but I doubt it will happen with Google's current Eula on Chrome. Not many companies will allow an OS the freedom to pinch their copyrighted material just because it was up-loaded to the Internet with Google's software. When the small companies become big they get stupid.

that is an OLD story in regards the eula in chrome browser, the eula was changed within a couple of days...was an error to put that in the first place.

JMCarrigan
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I for one am getting tired of Google. They're like sand at the beach - they get into everything. ;)

:agree: They have finally p***** me off. I've eliminated them as a search browser, etc. Buh bye.

frantbk
07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
that is an OLD story in regards the eula in chrome browser, the eula was changed within a couple of days...was an error to put that in the first place.

I don't see Corporate America switching to Google even if the Eula was changed. I guess I'll have to go download a new copy of chrome so I can read the new Eula (No I don't use Chrome).