PDA

View Full Version : Remote monitoring via Growl?

Iaian7
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd hate to clutter a Lightwave thread with iPhone posts, if it weren't for the possibility of remote monitoring via Growl. A couple months ago, I purchased iStat for my phone just so I could keep an eye on processor usage remotely. Seemed the easiest way to tell if the render had crashed or not. :)

Today, Prowl (http://theappleblog.com/2009/07/06/prowl-get-any-growl-notifications-via-push-on-your-iphone/) was released; bridging Push notifications on the iPhone and Growl notifications in OS X. It's dead simple to setup, and offers both Growl and web based posting. Which begs the question, and for any mac user regardless of phone (Growl can already forward notifications to multiple computers), how easy would it be to integrate some sort of Growl notification system with Lightwave, and more specifically, render status? Has this been attempted before (I honestly can't remember)?

If not, who will, so I can pay them handsomely?*

*Please note that "handsomely" really just means US$7, at least until after I finish saving up for a new computer. ;)

Lightwolf
07-07-2009, 01:09 AM
It has been attempted: the db&w tools for the Mac UB (see my signature) include a Growl Notifier.

Cheers,
Mike

OlaHaldor
07-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Interesting! :)
So far, I've been using remote desktop (over the internet and in LAN/WLAN) when I'm in any other part of the house or the country for that sake, so I can monitor and control everything from the 13" MacBook. Quite awesome.

I also bought a VNC application for the iPhone. It works surprisingly well. I monitored render status that way before I got the MacBook in january.

Iaian7
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
It has been attempted: the db&w tools for the Mac UB (see my signature) include a Growl Notifier.

Cheers,
Mike

How did I miss this! I love the DB&W tools, but have really only played with a few of the nodes. :D Thank you!!! Is there any way to automatically load the plugin for every scene? I can see that being a problem (that, and "render complete" doesn't trigger for F9 renders until you close the render panel by clicking "continue" or "abort"). Also, where should I send the $7? (unless that's just insultingly paltry, at which point I must apologize)

Interesting! :)
So far, I've been using remote desktop (over the internet and in LAN/WLAN) when I'm in any other part of the house or the country for that sake, so I can monitor and control everything from the 13" MacBook. Quite awesome.

I also bought a VNC application for the iPhone. It works surprisingly well. I monitored render status that way before I got the MacBook in january.

Very cool, I've looked into a few of the VNC apps, but was never sure which one would work best for me. Which one have you been using?

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Is there any way to automatically load the plugin for every scene?
It should stick with Layout if you add it to a scene once. If it doesn't then it's a bug, I'll have a look.

I haven't tested it with lwsn though.

I can see that being a problem (that, and "render complete" doesn't trigger for F9 renders until you close the render panel by clicking "continue" or "abort").
Yeah, I'm not too happy about that either. It just intercepts events that LW generates, but has no control over when they are generated.

Actually this is the first time I got any feedback from somebody who's actually using it ;)

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Actually this is the first time I got any feedback from somebody who's actually using it ;)

Thanks to this thread, I've gone ahead and bought Prowl and must say it works a treat with your plugin! Nice work again Mike .. !

I wonder: Would there be a way of automatically adding it as a master plugin to every scene as it opens? I suppose it can't generate any more info about the render, ie. GI and render times in the description .. This will certainly come in handy.

Would a PC version be possible down the track?

http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I wonder: Would there be a way of automatically adding it as a master plugin to every scene as it opens?
Are you using it from Layout or from lwsn on a farm?
I might just have to create a second version for lwsn, or see how lwsn can be persuaded to use persistent layout master plugins.

I suppose it can't generate any more info about the render, ie. GI and render times in the description .. This will certainly come in handy.
Unfortunately not.

Would a PC version be possible down the track?

http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/
I looked at that a few months ago but haven't kept up to date. I'll need to check how far the windows port is first. Technically it's not much of a problem, the code is easy enough.

Edit: I just checked, the windows port doesn't yet support the APIs I'd need to use: http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/developers.aspx#integration

Cheers,
Mike

Scazzino
07-09-2009, 10:12 AM
How did I miss this! I love the DB&W tools, but have really only played with a few of the nodes. :D Thank you!!! Is there any way to automatically load the plugin for every scene? I can see that being a problem (that, and "render complete" doesn't trigger for F9 renders until you close the render panel by clicking "continue" or "abort"). Also, where should I send the $7? (unless that's just insultingly paltry, at which point I must apologize)

Very cool, I've looked into a few of the VNC apps, but was never sure which one would work best for me. Which one have you been using?

Mac OS X has a built-in VNC server (called Apple Remote Desktop on Tiger, Screen Sharing on Leopard). If your on Leopard a VNC viewer is also built-in and simply called ScreenSharing. If your on Tiger then you can use Chicken of the VNC as the viewer.

I use a combination of both since I have both Tiger and Leopard systems running. I can screenshare my main machine via the Internet through a secure ssh tunnel and then from that one can screen share to any of the others running on my internal network. It's quite cool actually...

One thing to be careful of though if your using Chicken of the VNC or any other plain VNC viewer is that the local caps lock key will override any remote keys (Leopard to leopard screen sharing may not have that problem). So if you forget to turn off the caps lock key on the server, you won't be able to type anything but caps through VNC, which means you may not be able to log in... I ran into that one night and subsequently disabled the caps lock key on all my systems so it won't happen again...

:D

Iaian7
07-09-2009, 10:42 AM
It should stick with Layout if you add it to a scene once. If it doesn't then it's a bug, I'll have a look.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about that either. It just intercepts events that LW generates, but has no control over when they are generated.

Cheers,
Mike

I clearly haven't used Master Plugins much before... it does, indeed, load automatically. Sorry about that. :D Save for the LW limitations (F9 not triggering till user interaction), it's working like a charm. Thank you so much!

Mac OS X has a built-in VNC server (called Apple Remote Desktop on Tiger, Screen Sharing on Leopard). If your on Leopard a VNC viewer is also built-in and simply called ScreenSharing. If your on Tiger then you can use Chicken of the VNC as the viewer.

I use a combination of both since I have both Tiger and Leopard systems running. I can screenshare my main machine via the Internet through a secure ssh tunnel and then from that one can screen share to any of the others running on my internal network. It's quite cool actually...

One thing to be careful of though if your using Chicken of the VNC or any other plain VNC viewer is that the local caps lock key will override any remote keys (Leopard to leopard screen sharing may not have that problem). So if you forget to turn off the caps lock key on the server, you won't be able to type anything but caps through VNC, which means you may not be able to log in... I ran into that one night and subsequently disabled the caps lock key on all my systems so it won't happen again...

There are plenty of VNC tools on the mac, and I've tried out a few of them. Good to know about the caps key problems! Though I actually meant the iPhone app... which one were you using, and how did it perform?

Scazzino
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike!

I forgot about your Growl notification. I only noticed it once because it complained about it when being installed (since I didn't have Growl installed). I'm currently pushing a ton of stuff through ScreamerNet UB at the moment using VNC through a secure ssh tunnel. I'll see if I can install Growl and test that for you if I get a chance.

Scazzino
07-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Looks like you can pipe the growl messages to twitter if you like...
http://clickontyler.com/blog/2009/01/forward-your-growl-notifications-to-twitter/

And also use growl to view those twitter messages...
http://www.mactips.org/archives/2008/11/14/how-to-display-twitter-messages-using-growl/

So you can have LightWave UB twitter about what it's doing... cool... that should get it to your iPhone...

Here's a good article too...
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9228

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi Mike!

I forgot about your Growl notification. I only noticed it once because it complained about it when being installed (since I didn't have Growl installed).
Sorry Iaian7 but Scazzino is right, he was actually the first person to give me some feedback, you're only second.
Then again, he complained straight away, so you're still number one in terms of positive feedback! :D

:boogiedow

Cheers,
Mike - chuckling

Scazzino
07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey... "I" didn't complain about it... "It" complained about not finding Growl, which I didn't have installed... ;) ;)

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey... "I" didn't complain about it... "It" complained about not finding Growl, which I didn't have installed... ;) ;)
Yeah, and you had nothing better to do but pass it on to me... bah :hey:

:beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike

Scazzino
07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, and you had nothing better to do but pass it on to me... bah :hey:

:beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike

Hmmm, I could try setting up your growl notifier to have my farm email you every time it renders a frame... cool, LightWave as a spambot... :hey:

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Hmmm, I could try setting up your growl notifier to have my farm email you every time it renders a frame... cool, LightWave as a spambot... :hey:
Looking at the couple of thousand frames I've been rendering in the past week, I'm not sure if it's such a good idea ;)
After all, I might just be tempted to write a "send status per e-mail" plugin :D

Cheers,
Mike

OlaHaldor
07-10-2009, 05:05 AM

Mocha VNC. :) It might be a bit slow (it's an iPhone, after all), but it does its job well. Clear picture and easy to control, much like you would expect. I wish there were a VNC client for Vistta / Windows 7 too though so I could use Mocha VNC with those too.

I recently got Rowmote, which will let me control the mouse, keyboard, volume and open certain applications at a distance. Not a VNC application. Is to be used as a remote kind of. And it REALLY WORKS! :)

Lightwolf
07-10-2009, 05:12 AM
I wish there were a VNC client for Vistta / Windows 7 too though so I could use Mocha VNC with those too.

Ultra VNC works fince with Vista. I haven't checked any of the others ones. Just switch of UAC, as it (conceptually) makes it extremely hard for any screen sharing app to support properly.
Then again Ultra VNC might support it...

Cheers,
Mike