PDA

View Full Version : LW componants

Eroneouse
07-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi all just joined this forum and although I have been messing around with 3D animation for a while im a relative noob to all this so I would like to ask a short question as my Hello post and in all likelyhood you will probably see quite a few more posts from me that annoying new bloke.
:help:

I have been haveing a look at various 3D packages over the last few days and after looking at maya, 3d studio, cinema 4d and a couple of others I have all but decided to go with LW as it seems to have all the components I am looking for at the most reasonable price for this type of software. However I am having a little problem in tyeing down exactly which systems will ship native to LW 9.6 I am fairly certain a fluid and fur/hair system ships as standard but am not so certain that a partical and cloth system will also ship with it as a standard feature and would love to know for sure before I commit the funds to the software.

I am thinking the latter two systems for effects will ship with LW 9.6 as a standard feature but as I say would love to see some confirmation of that as I could not see much in the brochure relating to partical and cloth systems and although i am finding references all over to people useing cloth and particals no one mentions whether its native or a plug in.

toby
07-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Welcome bloke!
Particles and Cloth sim are native features, but there is no native Fluid sim.

Eroneouse
07-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Thank you for your reply :) I was sure the brochure pdf I looked at earlier mentioned a fluid system or maybe I read it wrong either way im off to have another look, but thanks again for the Welcome and reply it makes the decision to buy LW over maya all the easier knowing for certain the partical system is native and not a 200 pound plugin.

Does the partical system in LW work in a similar way to 3ds max's in that you can set a polygon object as the partical and get the emitter to then emit hundreds of particals that all look like the referenced object, oops another question sneaked in.

In my previous messing about with 3D stuff most of it was with 3ds max usually evaluation versions but I got a good idea of the basics of modeling, lighting, animation and the special effects areas of the software I am hopeing LW will work in somewhat similar ways or be as intuitive in its own way.

I think I read the brochure wrong where it says a fluid modeler I think its refering to the actual modeling side being fast and fluid rather than a modeling system based around fluids :)

SplineGod
07-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Blender is free and actually has all the things youve mentioned. :)
LW does have a fur system but its still pretty unstable IMO.
In terms of particles you can make an object an emitter but then you have
to link an object to the particles to get multiple versions of an object to be emitted.
You can also link different types of voxels to particles to get effects like fire, smoke
liquids etc.

Ernest
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes there was a tutorial video showing a particle emitter that emitted cars on a street. I think it was by Proton? It seems to have been taken down from the tutorials page or I just can't find it for some reason.

SplineGod
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I have such a tutorial here:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1255/Sky_Traffic/

Eroneouse
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I have Blender installed but have not had too much of a look at it tbh I thought it being a free thingumy would be too basic for what I want to do with it, though reading round the forum here I see a couple of posts here and there where people are saying they use Blender for modeling and then export it to LW so I will definately be having a more seriouse look at that. So do you think Blender has a better fur system than LW.

I see I am going to have to start reading about voxels if so much of the effects range uses or can use them. Nice tutorial btw you could use the same thing to generate stars for a startrek warp speed sequence.

SplineGod
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Blender is free but is definatey in no way inferior. The biggest problem most people seem to have with it is the interface. Most of its UI issues appear to have mostly been solved in its 2.5 release which is coming soon. In many ways Blender is more powerful then LW.
As far as modeling goes LW is pretty good though Id say modell with what youre most comfortable with since its usually not that hard to get models into LW from other apps.
Ive used LWs fur system in production and from the look of things Id say Blenders is much better. Take a look on youtube for a short film done in Blender called Big Buck Bunny. :)

Eroneouse
07-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Big buck bunny haha well recommended I just watched it and have to say im quite impressed at Blender and its users if thats the kind of thing that can be produced, I will have to have a more serious look at that app instead of the 2 minit glance ive given it so far. :thumbsup:

Ernest
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I have such a tutorial here:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1255/Sky_Traffic/

I KNEW I had seen it somewhere. And I knew it was from one of the Lightwave megastars.