PDA

View Full Version : hdr render settings for animation

lazyanimator
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to animate a walkthrough using an hdr image for lighting, however it seems that the HDR is creating slightly different lighting solutions on each frame. Can anybody suggest some GI settings to avoid HDR flicker? I have tried animated cache, however I am using interpolated GI. Should I go for non interpolated and suffer the high render times? Will this solve the dreaded flicker problem?

Many thanks.

RudySchneider
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
This is a BIG topic of discussion here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99548).

lazyanimator
07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
thanks Rudy, I came across that after I posted. I have come across GI flickering before, but now I am getting huge inconsistencies using an HDR to light the scene.....

RudySchneider
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I (along with myriad others, obviously) feel your pain...

toby
07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
thanks Rudy, I came across that after I posted. I have come across GI flickering before, but now I am getting huge inconsistencies using an HDR to light the scene.....
The hdr can cause problems if it's intensity and/or contrast is too strong. Does it have the sun in it, and do you know how intense it is (or how intesne the brightest spot is)?
And have you tried blurring it -

lazyanimator
07-07-2009, 07:47 AM
i'm actually using the kitchen probe from newtek.

jameswillmott
07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Walkthroughs ( where only the camera moves ) should not flicker if they are pre-baked properly. Set up your path, set the cache file to be somewhere in the content directory structure, and use Bake Scene to create a static cache ( leave the Animation checkbox off ) Once your cache is baked you should be able to render your animation and the shading should remain steady.

If it flickers, it's because LW or LWSN can't find the cache ( or you haven't built it ) I've been rendering walkthroughs since the radiosity cache was first implemented in the 9.5+ series and it has been rock solid for me every time.

Exception
07-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Just a walkthrough?
Right as James says: turn on caching, make sure the cache file is found, and preferably bake the cache first.

lazyanimator
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
thanks, i will try it!

toby
07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
The kitchen probe does have a spot or two that are too bright, if using the cache doesn't work, you could try applying HDR Exposure to it in the image editor, set the white point to 2, or even higher if necessary.

allabulle
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
If you are using image based lighting maybe could be worth taking a look at this tool (and the book, of course): http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/

toby
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
The kitchen probe does have a spot or two that are too bright
Wow I forgot just how bright that one is - large areas in the thousands of % intensity, and a light source that's over 11,000% intensity.

lazyanimator
07-08-2009, 02:37 AM
thanks allabule, I will take a look at your link

Toby, many thanks...yeah thats one bright kitchen!