PDA

View Full Version : 3D World magazine issue 119

Paul_Boland
07-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi Folks.

Just want to let you know that 3D World magazine, issue 119 is out over here in Ireland and the UK, I picked it up today, and in it on page 74 is the start of a six page Lightwave tutorial on rigging a Transformer which morphs from a steam loco into a robot. The scene files are on the disc and there are three videos showing you the whole process. No audio, you have to following what's in the magazine, but the end of the third video, seeing the steam loco jump up and turn into a robot, VERY COOL!!!

Well worth checking out.

cresshead
07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
thanks for the info

3dworld went back to putting the mag inside a carboard bag so i have no idea what's in the mag thesedays when looking in whsmiths and so usually don't buy it and at 6 it's too much just to buy from the cover text...

what's on the cover disc btw?

Nicolas Jordan
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Just curious, do you know what version of Lightwave they used for the tutorial? Was it version 9.6? Did they leverage any of the new features? Sounds cool!

Paul_Boland
07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
You can view the complete magazine contents on their website here:
http://www.3dworldmag.com/

The tutorial was created by Dan DeEntremont using Lightwave 9.5. Not sure if any of the new features are specifically used but I can tell you the tutorial is very detailed!!

Cageman
07-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I guess it is this one? (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96144)

JMCarrigan
07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
You can view the complete magazine contents on their website here:
http://www.3dworldmag.com/

The tutorial was created by Dan DeEntremont using Lightwave 9.5. Not sure if any of the new features are specifically used but I can tell you the tutorial is very detailed!!

I went to that site and can't find mention of that tutorial or that the scene files are on the disk. Hep me! :)

Matt
07-04-2009, 06:28 PM
The video files are here:

http://www.3dworldmag.com/119

But the scene files are on the disc with the magazine.

daforum
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
If you go to the website as linked by Paul then go to the "Stop Press" section, the 3 videos can be found there.

daforum
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
The video files are here:

http://www.3dworldmag.com/119

But the scene files are on the disc with the magazine.

Sorry Matt i didn't realise your link was direct to the Stop Press section.:bangwall:

Matt
07-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Just to point out, there's no audio commentary with the videos, just screen capture.

Paul_Boland
07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess it is this one? (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96144)

Yes, that's it. Guess you don't need to buy the mag afterall, but I buy it every month regardless.

Yes, there is no audio on the tutorial videos, it's all documented in the magazine.

JMCarrigan
07-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Um. Don't I have to buy the magazine to get the scene files. TIA

biliousfrog
07-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Awesome, someone get this on CGTalk, I'd love to see the stunned silence from the Max/Maya brigade...not to 'big-up' Lightwave, just subtley post about the great tutorial in the new issue and step back ;)

JMCarrigan
07-05-2009, 11:51 AM

:bump: Was it something I said?

SteveH
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Yes - you have to buy the magazine ot get the scene files - not the video files though.

dandeentremont
07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Apparently they asked the makers of the Citroen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ckJFNkra8) commercials first for a tutorial. They were too busy though, so 3dworld talked to me instead :-) I'm not crazy with how the tutorial turned out, so I included the scene file of the actual transformation and what not.

JeffrySG
07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Very cool... that was a great animation! It will be nice to see the vids - and / or get the mag as well.

shrox
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey dandeentremont, I'll trade you my crappy indy car transformer for your train transformer LW files...

JMCarrigan
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes - you have to buy the magazine ot get the scene files - not the video files though.

Thanks! Now all I gotta do is find the magazine. Portland maybe....

GregMalick
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh wow...

It looks like at around 24:17 on the third video, LightWave crashes when trying to do a replace with Object file.

That's embarrassing. :foreheads

dandeentremont
07-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Lol, yup. Turns out the Hi Rez rig can only function in 64 bit Windows :)

By the by, if anyone has any questions or requires clarification about the tutorial, feel free to ask.

robert_Lavigne
07-07-2009, 11:01 PM
This is straight up amazing. Stunning work dandeentremont. Way to represent the lightwave community. Looks like I'll need to head out and buy me an issue.

geothefaust
07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks! Now all I gotta do is find the magazine. Portland maybe....

Not a bad idea. I've done a (very) little search, no luck so far. But I'm sure it will be in somewhere soon.

JMCarrigan
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Not a bad idea. I've done a (very) little search, no luck so far. But I'm sure it will be in somewhere soon.

Ahh! Give me a heads up Javis! Thank yeeewww, ;)

RebelHill
07-10-2009, 03:20 AM
I just picked this issue up yesterday, so wanted to chime in once seeing it.

Thats a great walkthrough there, dan... reli shows how u can push LW into some pretty complex stuff and still have it chew it all up fine. Congrats, man.

As another note on this issue, mainly for anyone whos picked up my training or my character rigs along the way.... theres a nice lil video from gnomon on the disc talking about planning and beginning a piece of character animation. In the vid it shows maya (though doesnt reli do much in there)... but the adives applies across the board. So if anyones looking for lil clues of where to start out animating with character rigs, its a good lil vid to check out.

biliousfrog
07-10-2009, 04:09 AM
As a side note, someone on CGTalk asked about how to tackle a transformer...obviously it was likely to be archived pretty quick but there were several responses regarding the recent concept DVD from Gnomon and a few other bits and pieces. I gave a quick heads up to the tutorial in 3dWorld and linked to the YouTube video, didn't mention Lightwave at all...the thread disappeared within an hour, not archived, not moved, gone!

colkai
07-10-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm sure it had nothing to do with that, probably a total coincidence. ;)

Cageman
07-11-2009, 05:21 AM
As a side note, someone on CGTalk asked about how to tackle a transformer...obviously it was likely to be archived pretty quick but there were several responses regarding the recent concept DVD from Gnomon and a few other bits and pieces. I gave a quick heads up to the tutorial in 3dWorld and linked to the YouTube video, didn't mention Lightwave at all...the thread disappeared within an hour, not archived, not moved, gone!

Hmm... that's weird. Or, just some evidence that CGT is sponsored by AD? :D