PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing CS4?

moondog
07-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Looking to purchase Photoshop CS4. Has anyone used places like:
royaldiscount.com $345
rockbottomsoftwaredeals.com $449

These are all boxed versions, not downloads.When looking up on google they appear legit, not some OEM dealer from the Ukraine.

Thanks.

cresshead
07-04-2009, 02:39 PM
remember to get a new video card too as CS4 NEEDS one...EEK!

doimus
07-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Yup, CS4 outright sucks on even the mid-range cards. I ran CS4 demo on my laptop with fairly good, dedicated Ati Radeon 3650 card and it blows hard. It's sluggish as hell! On the same machine CS3 flies.

OTOH, this could be the (in)famous ATI-and-OpenGL situation, though.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-05-2009, 04:48 AM
remember to get a new video card too as CS4 NEEDS one...EEK!

And Vista...I think. I am running XP64 and I can't use any of the new OpenGL features (rotate canvas etc).

kojean
07-05-2009, 06:41 AM
The least expensive way to get Photoshop is to buy Photoshop Elements, then wait for an upgrade offer to the full version ($299, last time I checked). The problem is, you'll be in for a long wait because the upgrade sale offers happen maybe once or twice a year.

Lewis
07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
turn off OGL advancments and CS4 will run fine like CS3 but you won't have all those new goodies of OpenGL speed with zooming, panning, rotating... :) :).

IMI
07-05-2009, 11:25 AM
And Vista...I think. I am running XP64 and I can't use any of the new OpenGL features (rotate canvas etc).

Adobe doesn't officially support XP for Photoshop CS4. Supposedly the new OpenGL stuff only works in Vista, or only works well in Vista.

radams
07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
In regards to the original question.

No I have not used those vendors...but CS4 is worth getting.
Thou CS5 will be a game changing jump..I have no idea when that will come out or the pricing upgrade structure...thou I would suggest getting CS4 due to their upgrade policy at the moment...it may not hold when CS5 ships.

As for those having issues with CS4 on older graphic cards.

I am running WinXP 32 bit...with an older nvidia 6800 Ultra...and all is fine...it doesn't stutter...and is okay...just doesn't take advantage of the new Cuda aware processes...but I will soon have a 285 with 2 gigs of memory. Which should speed things up quit a bit.

CS4 is worth getting, IMHO. just more tools for the toolbox...and the intergration between AE, Premier, etc... is worth the price for admission :)

And you can still use SE, LW and other NT products along with it.

Cheers,

radams
07-05-2009, 12:07 PM
In re-reading your original post.

Note: that Adobe will NOT register or support versions outside your country area...ie: if you are in the US...then you need to have a US license...and you can only get that if you purchase from a US dealer.

Since your online vendor is from the Ukrane...this won't be possible.
Also I would be very wary from purchasing anything from the Eastern block at this time...many pirate sites...and some scam artists...don't give them your credit card info...

For those from the Eastern block countries here, this is not a slam on you or your countries...just some realities of the internet commerce at this time.

I would suggest asking Adobe if these vendors are legit and authorized...if not I wouldn't do business with them.

Cheers

pming
07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Hiya.

I've been a Photoshop user since v3 up through CS1. Then, the upgrade costs just got to be too damn much for what 'upgrades' I was getting (well, and during the last move I put my PS disks...uh..somewhere...they'll show up eventually...I hope...). So anyway...I decided to hold out on PS for a bit and am currently using Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X2. I think the grand total for it was around $74 (Canadian). I must say, for $75, I'm *VERY* happy with it. It does pretty much everything I was using PS for. It flawlessly reads in my PSD files, with only some of the text effects not translating well; easy enough to re-do them though. The only drawback (and annoyance) I'm having with it is that it doesn't Import/Export .dds formate...something I have to use another program to do. Ahhh well...it's not like we aren't use to using multiple programs to get the job done now, aren't we? ;)

Anyway, if the cost is a factor for your, you may want to DL the 30 day unlimited trial and take it for a spin...may do the trick for you.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

gerry_g
07-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Not just a new video card one with 500Mb's or a lot of the GUI stuff like smooth zoom, smooth rotate canvas, multiple windows etc wont work, and anything 3D wise will not be GPU assisted, as for general improvement over CS3 it's way zippier even on an old machine, but that said it's still full of bugs

moondog
07-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I am currentlly using PS6 and have never upgraded since then because I could not justify the cost. I downloaded all the trial PS versions and find that PS Elements 7.0 will do just fine. All the tools seem to be improved over PS6 and even offers some added features over PS6. In that I use it mainly for touchup of Lightwave images and for cleaning up photos for video I have little use for all the compositing features in CS4. The CS4 Extended seems useless compared to the various texture painting programs out there such as ZBrush and the money would be better spent there.
I use Vegas Video 9 for compositing into video and highly recommend it. For instance to animate a sunrise I render every 20th frame in Lightwave and then composite them together in Vegas using various fade and blending options.
Works great and saves a lot of render time.

Thanks for you help.

dee
07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Adobe doesn't officially support XP for Photoshop CS4. Supposedly the new OpenGL stuff only works in Vista, or only works well in Vista.

Not true, I'm running CS4 on XP32 with a Geforce 9600GT and OpenGL with no problems.

AdamAvenali
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Not true, I'm running CS4 on XP32 with a Geforce 9600GT and OpenGL with no problems.

while it may run fine, if you call them and ask what operating systems are supported they will not say XP.

adamredwoods
07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Upgrading from PS6?????

Oh boy, folders alone will be worth the upgrade. But PS CS3-> CS4 IS NOT WORTH IT. I use Photoshop, Flash, lllustrator every single day, and CS4 is *not worth* an upgrade from CS3.

But from anything below Photoshop CS 1, YES. (If your computer is fast enough)

IMI
07-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Upgrading from PS6?????

Oh boy, folders alone will be worth the upgrade. But PS CS3-> CS4 IS NOT WORTH IT. I use Photoshop, Flash, lllustrator every single day, and CS4 is *not worth* an upgrade from CS3.

The last Pshop I used prior to CS3 was version 7 and I thought that was pretty well worth it. But yeah, CS4, though nice, is not anything huge over CS3, in my opinion. My wife upgraded her CS3 to CS4 recently, which at least wasn't too expensive, and I put a GTX 260 in her PC to replace the 8800 GTS that had been in there. I think the graphics are more responsive, yes, and that's Vista Ultimate x64 in that machine.

Lito
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
So adobe doesn't let you upgrade from older versions of PS anymore? When did they changed their policy? I thought they had the same policy NT has with upgrades.

Nicolas Jordan
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I use Photoshop at work but for me it is just to expensive for personal use. I use Paint Shop Pro X2 and GIMP at home and probably will be using GIMP exclusively in the future.