PDA

View Full Version : Video tutorial for LiveSet generator

medyaron
07-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Hello everyone !
I just love my VT5 and the concept of LiveSet. But my big problem is creating new LiveSets.

Do you know of any video tutorial that teach how to create/generate a LiveSet ?

Is it possible that NewTek or someone from this forum will make such a video tutorial ?

I think this kind of video will make us :vticon: users much more happy

joseburgos
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Aura or Lightwave?

medyaron
07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
But I'll be happy with anything you'll make :)

medyaron
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Any news about the video tutorial ?

joseburgos
07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Sorry was working on a set that was very intricate and took all week. It's on my list of things to do :)

medyaron
08-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Any news about the video tutorial ?

I am still waiting:help:

joseburgos
08-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I am still waiting:help:

Been very busy and sorry I have not been able to make time to make one.

Here are two I may a while back in the mean time;
http://www.burgosfx.com/learnalien/ls_morphtexture/ls_morphtexture.htm
http://www.burgosfx.com/learnalien/lsic/lsic.htm

I think I asked this before but using LW, what exactly has you stumped?

luis.ayuso
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
you loaded an already made liveset, but how can I make one from scratch. I am new to this whole thing. how can I make the box that would be the liveset inputs for 1 and 2. i want to put in the boxes behind a graphic with alpha'd out holes for a graphic 2 box.

how?

where do I start? I need to get this done by sunday, and it seems like it should be simple enough.

joseburgos
08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
You need to first learn Lightwave to be able to construct the virtual set. After that, you apply the LiveSet texture to the surfaces you want to be the live and fx bus.
Another way and may be easier for you based on what you wrote, is to use Aura but Aura only comes with VT[5].

treshawks
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Can I create virtual sets with just Lightwave 7.5 and a Tricaster TCXD300? Or, do I have to buy something else?

SBowie
09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
LiveSet 2.0 sets are not created using the LW plugins. Actually, you don't really need LW at all to create LiveSets for TCXD only. However, for TCSD model LiveSets, if I remember correctly, the LW plugins require LW 9.3.1 or greater, 32bit, Windows only.

joseburgos
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't think LW 7.5 saves OpenEXR but I'm not 100% sure. EXR Trader is the plug-in I use to save OpenEXR and it may work with LW 7.5.
Besides getting on the XD LiveSet beta team, the only thing you need is a program that can save off image files in OpenEXR format. So LW, AE, Fusion, Photoshop, etc, can all be used as well as other 3D programs.

treshawks
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Is there a link available to read up on how to build a live set for the tricaster? I'm assuming I can create a news style set in LW and use alpha channels(or some kind of masks) for areas to be keyed and compile that file(OpenEXR?) and save it in some directory on the Tricaster? I'm just starting to look into building live sets myself so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I have searched around this forum and the NewTek website. Information seems a bit limited...unless I'm missing something all encompassing. Patience and any information is much appreciated.

joseburgos
09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Here is the link you are looking for;
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106565
If you look at this section of the forum, it is a locked post at the top.

SBowie
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I have searched around this forum and the NewTek website. Information seems a bit limited...unless I'm missing something all encompassing.It's largely just that it's not a simple topic. There are LightWave and Aura plugins for LiveSet 1.0 style virtual set authoring, suitable for TCSD models. Either of these options requires at least some basic knowledge of the program, LW or Aura. Both plugins include docs on the plugins themselves.

For LiveSet 2.0 (TCXD sets), to author a LiveSet you need as a minimum an art package capable of creating HDR imagery (and basic knowledge on how to use the app), and the LiveSet Compiler SK, to actually create the LiveSet files from images created in the other application. (The LiveSet Compiler has its own docs).

For those who want an easier approach, and who can manage by simply modifying existing LiveSets, the upcoming TriCaster Virtual Set editor will be the answer.

treshawks
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Jose. I did see that one. However, it clearly states that someone applying for the beta program needs to have some experience building live sets and will need to submit examples. I've built sets in lightwave. But never a "live set". So I'm a newbie when it comes to this technology.

Steve, I appreciate the info but I don't have a system that meets the requirements. 32bit at home and high end macs at work. So, I maybe I'll be looking into the virtual set builder option. Price is out of range for me right now though.

SBowie
09-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Steve, I appreciate the info but I don't have a system that meets the requirements. 32bit at home ... Any relatively version of LW, even an older one, should be able to generate EXR's afaik. Check the image savers. (Apart from that, I don't have any information on qualifying for the LiveSet Compiler SDK program that hasn't been made public, but it never hurts to ask.)

joseburgos
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks Jose. I did see that one. However, it clearly states that someone applying for the beta program needs to have some experience building live sets and will need to submit examples. I've built sets in lightwave. But never a "live set". So I'm a newbie when it comes to this technology.

So you have all the other listed items, 64 bit Windows OS and a XD TriCaster? If so, send examples of your sets and apply. You have nothing to loose.

Good luck,

behsvideo
09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Okay, i want to edit a set and just change the background how do i do that without having lightwave?

joseburgos
09-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you own Aura? For the Tricaster SD versions, only LW and Aura can create a LiveSet.
Of course I am for hire to do this for you :)

behsvideo
09-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Do you own Aura? For the Tricaster SD versions, only LW and Aura can create a LiveSet.
Of course I am for hire to do this for you :)

No i dont have either one, where can i get Aura? and i want to do it my self and learn:newtek:

joseburgos
09-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Aura comes with VT[5] but if you already own a TriCaster, then I suggest LW.

behsvideo
10-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Aura comes with VT[5] but if you already own a TriCaster, then I suggest LW.

is there a tutorial for making livesets? and when you make them where do you put them in tricaster? i have the trial of lightwave :lwicon: to see if it is worth getting it full for Tricaster Pro:tcicon:

joseburgos
10-02-2010, 08:32 PM
If you own LW, then you have access to the LW LiveSet plug-in. The plug-in comes with the documentation and a tutorial.
I use LW for all my virtual sets compiled into LiveSet so I would say it is well worth it :)

behsvideo
10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
If you own LW, then you have access to the LW LiveSet plug-in. The plug-in comes with the documentation and a tutorial.
I use LW for all my virtual sets compiled into LiveSet so I would say it is well worth it :)

I the plugin on the trial too? :lwicon:

joseburgos
10-04-2010, 07:12 AM
LW plug-in is available to any registered LW owners. I would think 'not' since it is a trial version and does not need to be registered.

behsvideo
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
LW plug-in is available to any registered LW owners. I would think 'not' since it is a trial version and does not need to be registered.

it let me, where do i put the liveset i created and what do i save it as?

joseburgos
10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
It goes in the VSFX folder and the name is whatever you want to call the set.

n9103h
10-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Steve you seem to have a handle on this. I have a picture of a policical forum with table and chairs. I have cut a foreground and a background, Table being foreground. 720x486. I am using live set generator. I am so totally lost.... I have Aura, liveset plug-in, now I am "lost in space". I just need to be between the table and the wall in my shot. I was thinking this is really a simple thing with no PIP, etc.. I can not get a seperation with live set generator and my Aura skill are just starting. Photoshop,.... to many years.
Any suggestions that take you less then 30 seconds, I don't want to use your time.

joseburgos
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Bottom layer would be the background image. Middle layer would be full screen LiveSet texture and the layers name needs to be named Input. Top layer is the table. The rest is explained in the documents that come with the Aura LiveSet plug-in and I highly recommend you go through the tutorials, if you have not already.

SBowie
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I will second what José wrote. As I recall, the docs with the Aura plugin assume essentially no Aura knowledge.

The briefest possible description, off the top of my head:
If your foreground and background imagery are "D1" (720x486) or thereabouts, you would open a new NTSC D1 Aura project. Or your imagery might be 800x600, for example, which if memory serves would also be fine.
Import the 'furthest back' image as the bottom layer in the Aura project, and the foreground as the top layer.
Create a new empty layer between these.
Then use the LiveSet Brush Creator plugin (from Aura's Plugins menu) to make that a 'full screen' LiveSet layer. Rename that layer "Input" (without the quotes).
That's the basic setup - open the LiveSet Creator plugin dialog, enable LiveMatte for "Input", supply "Scene" and "Shot" names, choose a suitable path for the files and create the LiveSet. Afterward, move the resulting files into the VSFX folder on your TriCaster.

henrique freita
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Dear Friends of NewTek,
We have four TriCaster studio and we need the updated LiveSet constructor to generate some scenarios, as all products have entered the registration page downloads and made the constructor LiveSet 1.0, installed it generates no more, how can I solve this problem?

henrique freita
10-13-2010, 01:38 PM
please send email to LiveSet constructor: [email protected]
what's in the downloads page is not working.

SBowie
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
what's in the downloads page is not working.I'm sorry you are having difficulty.

The original "LiveSet Constructor" is listed in TriCaster™ downloads* as “TriCaster LiveSet Constructor “, and in VT[5] downloads* as “NewTek SkyBox LiveSet Constructor VT[5]”. This basic tool has not been updated, and continues to work as before - to create simple LiveSets for use with SD model TriCasters.

It isn't broken, so if it is not working for you there must be something wrong with your method. Please describe the problem(s) you are encountering, and I'm sure someone will help.

henrique freita
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Dear Regards, Steve
after I downloaded the file in the downloads page of NewTek, installed on my pc LiveSet constructor, then pulled into a space for forenground psd file (alpha) 720 x 486 and space for the backgound a png also with the size of 720 x 486, put the name of the file that will be generated and push the button to generate the file only appears more vfx all, what is happening?

henrique freita
10-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Dear Regards, Steve
You can generate this scenario for us because we are in dire need, if possible give me your email so I can send files (psd and png). NewTek believe very much in the products that our TV station here in Brazil is all based on equipment NewTek, TriCaster Studio and 4 are two video toaster 5.3. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation, we will help.

n9103h
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi,
I have found using live set generator pretty easy and really fast now.
What I do in photoshop is to make 3 layers.
1. any background
2. full image of set
3. full image of set

In layer 3 now I erase everything I don't want as my forground. ex. stage with podium. I remove everything around the podium clean at the edges. this is all at 720x480 or 486 your choice 300 dpi.
I save layer 2 as a gif with Transparency even thought there are no changes to the image.
I save layer 3 as a gif with Transparency

All is done.
I start the liveset generator and put the forground as the foreground and the background as the background. Save it to the folder I want then in liveset I select that "set" I just made, drop my chroma green screen, color key it, walk in to my set, put my hands on a music stand that is behind the image of the podium and start my talking points.

That is a way I found that works for me and it is really fast. I hope it helps, I struggled for days which I do not have because I am running for office. I needed a set, yesterday. You can check out the first one I made this way, I was in a hurry so please don't laugh to hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE9pUB4Tmo0 if you can see the yourtube link, I cut the person out and rebuilt the wall and picture. Crude, but it made my point.
George

psievers
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
For LiveSet 2.0 (TCXD sets), to author a LiveSet you need as a minimum an art package capable of creating HDR imagery (and basic knowledge on how to use the app), and the LiveSet Compiler SK, to actually create the LiveSet files from images created in the other application. (The LiveSet Compiler has its own docs).

For those who want an easier approach, and who can manage by simply modifying existing LiveSets, the upcoming TriCaster Virtual Set editor will be the answer.

So what program would I need to create HDR images, and where do I find the LiveSet Compiler SK? And how soon is "upcoming"?

SBowie
11-15-2010, 12:32 PM
So what program would I need to create HDR imagesWell, LW will do it, and so will Fusion. I'm really not sure about Photoshop. Others may have some less expensive suggestions to offer.

So what program would I need to create HDR imagesand where do I find the LiveSet Compiler SK?Please see: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106565

So what program would I need to create HDR imagesand where do I find the LiveSet Compiler SK? And how soon is "upcoming"?I'd really prefer not to guess (beyond what the press release said), sorry. Forced to hint, I'd shy away from the word "imminent", but feel more comfortable with "fairly soon". (I don't suppose that helps at all.)

psievers
11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
:) not so much, but thanks for the update!

joseburgos
11-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, LW will do it, and so will Fusion. I'm really not sure about Photoshop. Others may have some less expensive suggestions to offer.

Fusion should not be used at this time as it saves with AA and this affects the NewTek textures for the creation of EXR images for the use in the LiveSet compiler. I am working on a fix but in the mean time, I do not recommend Fusion :(

Note: The NewTek texture is a UVW image and needs for every pixel to stay in tact so as to map the video feed onto each pixel. This is why no AA can be used in the final render.

Take care,

SBowie
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Fusion should not be used at this time as it saves with AA and this affects the NewTek textures for the creation of EXR images for the use in the LiveSet compiler.Actually, it works just fine, José. :)

I ran into the same issue when writing the docs for the compiler, and added the following notes on overcoming the problem to the instructions:

We mentioned earlier that images supplied to the compiler must be prepared in a full precision floating point file (i.e., FP32 not FP16) format, such as .EXR. To prevent video mapping errors, it is very important that the export settings you use when saving image files for compiling do not compress or clip the color range in any way.
By default, Fusion's OpenEXR saver uses compression. Disable that and you're good ...

joseburgos
11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
What what what (as my children would say)?
Steve if this is true you have made my day. I just looked at the live set doc PDF and nothing there or in the live set creation SDK folder. Could you pretty please send me your notes?
With much love,

SBowie
11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
What what what (as my children would say)?
Steve if this is true you have made my day. I just looked at the live set doc PDF and nothing there or in the live set creation SDK folder. Could you pretty please send me your notes?The quote in my prev. post is from the compiler instructions (maybe you've got an older copy)? Regardless, just turn off the compression settings for Fusion's EXR saver and you should be good (it drove me crazy until I figured it out).

Edit - oh yeah, also - set "Clipping Mode" in the EXR saver export tab to None - that's critical.

joseburgos
11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
If I ever have another child, I'm going to name him Steve :)
I am in the middle of a masses render on all machines so as soon as it's done, I'm going to test this. Man this will save me so much time.
Thank you very much as I was looking at it from all kinds of ways like saving with final quality off and a bunch of otherthings that I would have never thought of that.

Take care pal,