PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a broken Video Card

jasonwestmas
07-03-2009, 08:27 PM
So I got this here broken ATI Radeon Pro, just fizzled out today. I now have this new PCI Geforce 8400 GS. So I think I need to deactivate the RAdeon cards divers but obviously I can't do that because the original card is broken. Needless to say the new Geforce card won't display because it seems to be overridden by the old Radeon drivers.

Any advice on this?

IMI
07-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Try safe mode to uninstall the ATI drivers?
With it plugged in, do you just get no video at all, even at POST? Can you get at and see your BIOS screen?

jasonwestmas
07-03-2009, 08:43 PM
No I get no display at all so I can't install new drivers. My friend just told me that I should remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and I may have to jump some pins. I'm looking into it. It's a 7 year old Dell Dimension 8300.

jasonwestmas
07-03-2009, 09:34 PM
ok cool, removing the password jumper did the trick
was able to install the new drivers. Thanks!

IMI
07-04-2009, 02:40 AM
ok cool, removing the password jumper did the trick
was able to install the new drivers. Thanks!

Well I'm glad you got it going.
Thanks? Thanks for what? I didn't do anything. ;)

jasonwestmas
07-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for caring enough to write anything! BTW, is it better to install the drivers through the CD installer or through the Device manager or both? I can never get this on the first shot, ugg!

IMI
07-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Uh yeah, no problem man. ;)

I always install from the driver .exe file. That would be from the CD, in your case, although I'd recommend just downloading the latest driver version your card, instead.

jasonwestmas
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok great. . .now don't say you never gave me anything.;D