Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recording on Tricaster -> edit on Final Cut Pro

We need the ability to edit video produced on our Tricaster in Final Cut Pro on a Mac. What widgets are needed to allow us to do this?

Last report we had here, the Regular Profile MPEG2 file captures were working in FCP with the Apple MPEG2 plugin...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Correct..

I had it loaded on a macbook pro this morning and it looks and sounds fine but the editor said that it needed to be "rendered" before editing could take place.

So it works but you have to wait for the rendering to finish first...not so good and time consuming for longer files.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
    So it works but you have to wait for the rendering to finish first...not so good and time consuming for longer files.
    That's why we use SpeedEDIT!
    Just playing with ya, but I do find it amazing, the lack of native support of file types in FCP.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Latest in fo fron another FCP client....

Here is what the test revealed. Final Cut will play the clip in RT Unlimited but it needs to render in RT Safe mode. which means that it will need to rendered prior to being burnt to DVD. FCP rendered it at real time. (It took 32 seconds to render a 32 second clip) However the faster approach would be to use MPEG streamclip software to convert the files to a DV quicktime that will not need to be rendered. MPEG Streamclip converted the files in about half realtime. Which would be faster than loading it off of a tape.

MPEG Streamclip also marries the audio to the video.

Test was run on Mac OS 10.5.6 using a 2.6Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Final Cut Pro 6.0.5

Production Associate
    I'm trying to edit some b-roll into a project that was recorded using the tricaster.

I'm using MAC OS X version 0.5.7 with Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 and have downloaded the Apple MPEG2 plugin.

When I try to play back the .MPG files (in Quicktime and FCP), all I get is a black window without sound. When I play the same file on the Tricaster, it looks fine.

Any ideas?

I read that if you transfer files from a hard-drive that's formatted as a FAT-32, from PC to MAC, or vice-versa, the files can become corrupt. Has anyone ever encountered that?

Thanks in advance.

What profile did you use to record the MPEG2 file - "Studio" or "Regular"?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Production Associate
    Under RECORD PROFILE in RECORD/STREAM the "use Mpeg studio profile" was selected. Is this the problem?

It may well be. Reports I've seen so far seem to imply that FCP can regular profile MPEG2 files, but not the "High Profile" type the Studio profile option produces.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Production Associate
    If the studio profile is unchecked, what happens? Quality, etc.? Would I be able to take the video from the Tricaster and drop it into FCP?

Thanks again.

So I'm told, yes. The main difference is that the Studio Profile uses 4:2:2 sampling, which is especially nice for keying. That said, the regular profile is still quite good.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Production Associate
    As an update, DEselecting the "use Mpeg studio profile" makes the video and audio compatible with FCP, so long as you have the Mpeg-2 plug-in ($20 from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/).

Thanks for your help, SBowie.

Thanks very much for reporting back, Dan (and please call me Steve)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Studio Profile to MOV

I heard someone here wrote a script that takes high profile MPEG recorded on tme Tricaster 850 and wraps it for use in FCP. Where can I find that?

Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

If I'm not mistaken, that's basically the same thing as the 'renderless' Quicktime option in Export Media - but I don't think it supports High Profile ... or at least that FCP can read them.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast