Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jovian Color Picker

Triglycerous Gluteous Dave Jerrard's Avatar

I remembered my feature request!

It would be cool to be able to have Jovian show the colors in the library that match the current color. Examples:

I'm working on a model, and I've applied a few library colors to it. Now I select a surface, but I can't remember if I applied a specific library color (say Olive Drab) to it or not. The tiny color swatches are too small to really compare with the current color swatch, and since I have several color libraries installed, it can take an extremely long time to click through them to find the match.

I have a color selected, and I'd like to find the closest match in a color library if a client wants to know the Pantone or ink color that I used for something.

If a double-click on the current color, or a menu operation, could list the colors that match the current one, it would be a great help. A tolerance could be set up in the options to fine tune this.

He Who Can Never Have Enough Colors, Or CPUs.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 10-14-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
    - Any typos are the result of a creative, yet rebellious keyboard.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs
    32GB Kingston KVR1333D3D4R9S RAM
    EVGA|01G-P3-1556-KR GTX550Ti video card

inside the beltway Riff_Masteroff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jerrard View Post
    . . . . For anyone that's interested, here's a .jcl of that Federal Standard color library. Just rename it from .txt to .jcl & import it. . .
    Dave: Thanks so much for the library. I actually downloaded these colors four years ago and they were described as being military colors. Note that this federal standard library includes color names such as: USMC Green, Blue Angels Blue & Yellow, Air Superiority Blue and Aircraft Exterior Green.

Does this federal standard library (595) need to have gamma removed for LW use (Jovian interface Gamma In button)? Do any of the other libraries need gamma removal before linear LW use?

"The RGB Hex Code is a reference to what is shown on your monitor and is only a rough approximation of the true color." is excerpted from:
    http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

Having to rename Dave's text file to a .jcl extension was, for me, an invitation to open it in notepad++. As Dave said its simple and was quite a learning experience for me. I did learn how to access a Hex to RGB converter in figuring out the FS-595-Paint-Spec.htm. My guess is that Dave (somehow) quickly converted the government info to the Jovian jcl format.

Yes all colours need gamma removing.
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Riff_Masteroff View Post
    Having to rename Dave's text file to a .jcl extension was, for me, an invitation to open it in notepad++. As Dave said its simple and was quite a learning experience for me. I did learn how to access a Hex to RGB converter in figuring out the FS-595-Paint-Spec.htm. My guess is that Dave (somehow) quickly converted the government info to the Jovian jcl format.
    I did the highly technical, and arduous method of copying the hex code, pasting it into Jovian and then adding the color & then naming it with the FS number & color name, then repeating for the next color. Once done, I exported the library to create the .jcl. There was a typo on the original page - the first Purple color had the same hex value as the color above it, so I opened the source of the page & got the hex color they used to display the purple color on the page. The .jcl has the correct color value for the purple.

He Who Needs To Get Testors Colors Now.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 10-20-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Plastic explosive is indistinguishable from Amish Friendship Bread starter.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs

Library: von Luschan skin colors

I created a library for ourselves: von Luschan's skin color 'chromatic scale'. You will need to rename the attached text file to *.jcl. The file is based on the info contained in the attached *.jpg.

Reference URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_von_Luschan

The library is highly subjective for two reasons: Felix authored the original about a century ago and the creator of the *.jpg did not use precise methods. For example, numbers 13 & 14 are the exact same color. I didn't change that.

For me it was an exercise in 'peripheral synergy' for work stuff. I over wrote the text file (that Dave Jerrard provided) and . . . it works! Not only does it work, but it was a bunch of work. Dave deserves kudos for his contributed library and . . .

Wow, did Matt Gorner really provide the community with more than forty separate libraries. Yes he did. I don't see any truly automatic method for doing so. After doing a very small one myself (only 36 colors), I do appreciate the labor of others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skin Color Chart.jpg 
Views:	29914 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	78587  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Matt; 09-29-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Fixed the color library file, as it was incorrectly formatted causing a crash when imported.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Note to Ken: Ken I noticed that Jovian is chopping off some of the longer names, is there any change of upping the char limit to colour entries in the library?
    I'll have to look at the code and see what impact it would have memory-wise.

Dave & Riff: Thanks for the libraries. When I get a chance I'll have to put a link to them on the Jovian site.

As for Dave's feature request, searching the library for colors that match the current one. That should be easy to implement, it's just finding space in the UI for the button to start the search.
    Ken Nign

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBoy View Post
    As for Dave's feature request, searching the library for colors that match the current one. That should be easy to implement, it's just finding space in the UI for the button to start the search.
    Lemme know if I can help
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group

. . .
    He Who Needs To Get Testors Colors Now.
    Color me confused.
    Attached are some Testors Model Master swatch charts and a comprehensive 200+ page conversion xls in pdf format.

In reference to the "Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart" multiple model paint manufacturers are keyed to ascending US Federal Standard numbers. Those numbers, here, are more comprehensive than "595 or 595c". Colors that are off the FS code numbers are listed under FS-99999 numbers.

RGB values are listed under the Hex format. The Hex format apparently is only desirable in that it is computer readable. Either way, colors play out to 8 bit/channel integer values. Jovian can, of course, read floating point values. Also, some of the entries have multiple Hex values for a single FS number.

Why are model kit paint colors of any value at all? My guess is that it involves a work-around for secretive-closed-to-the-public government information and the financial greed of graphics industry companies. In other words, the model companies research and pay for their info. We access that info so that the underlying real world object can be understood.
    Color me unhappy.

All this is definitely of use to me in my work (3d definitive models for use by general contractors). Maybe I should post my thoughts on this, maybe not, or maybe I already have.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Riff_Masteroff; 10-21-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Couldn't resist changing the last sentence

I'll have to look at the code and see what impact it would have memory-wise.

Dave & Riff: Thanks for the libraries. When I get a chance I'll have to put a link to them on the Jovian site.

A simple option, that might be unintuitive at first, but very easy to use would be to just double-click the current color, and the list of matching (or very close colors (with exact matches highlighted) would appear, either in the current color library list, or more inconveniently, in a new list.

A right-click there could do the same thing, maybe with a popup menu for exact matches or close matches.

He Who Wonders If That Would Be Project Hockey Puck.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 10-21-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: The accepted safe distance from a nuclear explosion is ten to fifteen yards.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs

...A right-click there could do the same thing, maybe with a popup menu for exact matches or close matches.

He Who Wonders If That Would Be Project Hockey Puck.
    Jessica suggested calling it "Project Canuck."

Attached is a screen capture of the feature in use. At present, clicking the current color swatch (while the Library is open) will perform the color search. Holding Ctrl and clicking the swatch will do an exact match.

In the Options panel I added a Color Matching Range value which defines just how close a library color must be to match the current color. A value of 5 means that the library color must be within 5 (+/-) on each channel.

E.g. 128, 64, 96 would match 123, 69, 92.

I've also increased the string length for color names in the library. I've got to do some more testing on the memory impact but then this build should be ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColorMatching.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	78664  
    Ken Nign

Well, that kinda rhymes. At least it's not project hosehead.. yet...

Attached is a screen capture of the feature in use. At present, clicking the current color swatch (while the Library is open) will perform the color search. Holding Ctrl and clicking the swatch will do an exact match.

In the Options panel I added a Color Matching Range value which defines just how close a library color must be to match the current color. A value of 5 means that the library color must be within 5 (+/-) on each channel.

I've also increased the string length for color names in the library. I've got to do some more testing on the memory impact but then this build should be ready.
    That's awesome. It's getting hard to think of anything else to add to this. I supposed color cubes & other various color pallet displays could be done, but I've never found those to be of much use. The only other thing I can think of is a color mixer, like the old DCTV Paint had, but again, that's not something I used a lot even in that program.

He Who Has Forgotten All About Poor Little Picky, Er, What's-Its-Name.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 10-23-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Twelve dead is a good figure to begin to commit to some serious police work. Anything shy of that is just overreacting.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs

Being able to match library colours based on the current colour would be handy, but I'm not sure having Jovian look for colours based on every click is wise.

If you're in a colour library and are checking out colours (presuming this is how it works) if Jovian jumps somewhere else it would be annoying.

Maybe have either a 'virtual' library that contains close matches for any colours picked, or have a 'Find Match' option, which could be a button up near the search gadgets, as that, is sort of what your are doing.

Last edited by Matt; 10-23-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group

The new build of Jovian has been uploaded:
    http://www.joviancolorpicker.com/Downloads.aspx

The improvements are mostly relevant to the registered version:

-Project "Canuck" adds a new Matching Colors search feature. To see which colors in the Library have the same or similar RGB values to the currently chosen color, simply have the Library open and click on the current color swatch (the square to the left of the Use/Store buttons which shows the current color). To limit the search to only exact color matches, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking the swatch. As with text searches, the results can be cleared by clicking the C button. Or saved by clicking Export.

An option has also been added to the Option panel's Advanced tab to adjust how close a library color must be in order to be considered a match.

Because the top half of the color swatch is now clickable, there is a 10 pixel dead-zone between the two halves to prevent accidental clicks in the wrong area, since the swatch below the current color can be clicked to revert to the incoming color.

-Doubled the maximum length of a color's name in the Library.

-Fixed a small memory leak in the Library.

-The Mac build should now include support for 64 bit. There are some minor text/alignment issues which will be fixed in a later build.
    Ken Nign

whohoo, so this is the first ever 3rd party OSX 64 bit plugin now, afaik - and it works very well!

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing + photography
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.3, octane 3.x

-Project "Canuck" adds a new Matching Colors search feature. To see which colors in the Library have the same or similar RGB values to the currently chosen color, simply have the Library open and click on the current color swatch (the square to the left of the Use/Store buttons which shows the current color). To limit the search to only exact color matches, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking the swatch. As with text searches, the results can be cleared by clicking the C button. Or saved by clicking Export.
    I would call Project: "Canuck" a success.

He Who Would Call Project "Canuck" A Success, Or Already Did.
    Last edited by Dave Jerrard; 10-27-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: And they're being led by the Devil, who's dressed like a clown, and he's naked, except for a leather speedo.

ASUS KGPE-D16 MB
    2 AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast