Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best component camcorder and monitors for TriCaster?

I'm very close to making a TriCaster purchase and will probably want to use it with component video. Can anyone recommend a camcorder (SD or HD) that has component outputs? Preferably under $2,500? If nothing is available in that price range, what's the lowest cost component camcorder out there?

Also, I'd like to get some separate LCD monitors that have a component loop through so I can go from the camcorder to the monitors and then into the TriCaster.

If those type of monitors are not available, then what do you think the best way is to get high quality video while using external camera monitors?

Thanks!

The ONLY "component" 3 way rack mount monitors I found were VADDIO. They are also HD ready. I think they are 4".
    There are some 2 monitor options, but I don't want or need a BIG 7" monitor for each camera.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Sony HVR-HD1000U 1080i HDV Camcorder

I personally think this is a great little camera.

This little gem can be shoulder or tripod mounted ... LANC control for remote zoom, focus ETC. ... High Definition on MiniDV Tapes with HDV ... Component ... Composite ... S-Video ... i-Link 4-Pin FireWire ... HDMI ... USB ... And ... Best of all ... Great price!

http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com/...houlder/Detail

D. Mcclaflin
    McClaflin Mobile Media
    http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HVR-HD1000U.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	65765  

Quote Originally Posted by DMcClaflin View Post
    I personally think this is a great little camera.
    I had (still have, but it's packed a way in a box) and loved (not in the literal sense) a CCD-5000 Hi8 camcorder, and this looks very much like an HDV version of the same concept. How does the image quality compare to other $1,500 to $2,500 camcorders, considering that it is only a single-chip camera.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services - CMS Wipes DVEs - LiveSets
    Educating with iPads, part of the AppTutor development team.

Billme, Quality is so subjective now days.
    I have a $45,000 camera and two $6,000 cameras connected to our TriCaster. If you are streaming, you can hardly tell the difference.

We used a sub 1K camera as a 4th overhead cameral for our first couple TriCaster gigs. I hated it but the client wasn't even bothered by the quality.
    I used one of my super 8 cameras, but it was just a feed for me to see the set in the other room. I might have been able to get away with it as the 4th camera. The electonics in these newer cameras is pretty good. It's the format that degrades the image. JMHO

Goes to show, quality is subjective. If you are happy and your client is happy, it's good enough.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

first off never trust an lcd monitor for true output (not yet at least). As for cameras under 2,500. I personally have fell in love with the Sony fx-1 and Sony v1u. They sometimes can be found cheap on craigslist. Another little gem for SD is panisonic dvx100. cannot beat that camera for SD.

I gotta say that though this camera (Sony HVR-HD1000U ) is inexpensive considering what is out there. We have three of them for our productions at the school where I work and I hooked one up to our Tricaster and was able to pull a great key from boththe Component Signal and even the Svideo signal. Composite was mushy as to be expected.

Tony

As for video recording, I recommend that you check the Camcorder Ratings of various items. The information that you'll gather can be useful in your selection of the final product.

Always Learning
    Here is a low cost possible alternative if the quality works for you!
    http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/racks/index.htm
    Ken Weaver
    vid2u@aol.com

Or if you're on a REALLY, REALLY low budget, perhaps this:

Delvcam DELV-2500-RM Quad 2.5 Inch LCD Rackmount Monitor Set

I believe these are bigger screens than the TriCaster previews in the user interface, but I'm not entirely sure. Probably more useful for a cheap VT setup.

-s

How bulky is that Sony HVR-HD1000U on a Tripod? I haven't seen one out in the wild, just wondering if shoulder mount makes it less ideal for tripod use.
    Last edited by rally1; 02-06-2009 at 07:40 PM.

The Sony HVR-HD1000U serves just fine as a tripod mounted camera.

It’s length of 19.7" does require a substantial tripod, and as always, the more substantial the tripod, the better. The actual camera mount, while appearing somewhat less than substantial due to the camera’s length, is of little consequence as the unit weighs in at a mere 6 lbs.

In other words:

The camera’s off-center mount poses no problem to tripod mounting as the camera weighs nothing. In my opinion, the focus should be placed on the tripod rather than the camera. A spindly tripod used with this camera will leave you disappointed.
    Last edited by DMcClaflin; 02-07-2009 at 05:08 AM.
    D. McClaflin

McClaflin Mobile Media
    http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com

Thanks, looking to get a few of those cameras to for some uniformity in our shots. Right now we have a variety of cameras in our collection, plus whatever a contract cameraman might bring to the event.

For the price they seem to be a good solution, I have just never come across one on a shoot yet.

Deal OK, If You're on a REALLY, REALLY Low Budget for Component Output on the Cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by videosc View Post
    ...what's the lowest cost component camcorder out there? Thanks!
    Well, I just discovered that Best Buy is closing out the apparently now-discontinued Canon VIXIA HV-30 camcorder -- a wildly-popular, palm-corder class HDV unit with a single chip, that boasts 1920x1080 native resolution.

That CMOS pickup sensor, complemented (ooh, did I create a pun??) by a very, very impressive prism/processing system for purer color fidelity (called D.I.G.I.C. II), provides nearly unbelievable performance, at the sub-1K price, with HDMI out, 24P and 30P plus more. (Did I mention the component output?)

For a little tripod-mounted HD camera, with Canon optics, and internal custom settings that are quick to access and to change, and that's going to be used for TriCaster shoots destined for DVD and the web, I think these make a great addition to your setup.

And in those few instances when you might have the inclination to ask your help, to work that unit from a tripod, you'd be pleased to know that the rearward-mounted little zoom lever works like a charm, getting you that uber-slow creep-in/creep-out zoom movement that you'd really want for that boring talking-head talent, or for adding a bit more intensity to an interview shoot.

So impressive the image quality for under 1K (listening up, Teddy Bear?) I'll be willing to bet that the now-discontinued, dimmunitively-sized Canon HV20 and HV 30 siblings will blow the sexier looking, Sony HD1000U away in a cinch; *most especially* in lower light setups will these baby Canon units out-perform Sony. In fact, we may just snatch up a 3rd one, to add to our uber-portable, component camera equipped TriCaster production toolset.

In the opinion of some reviewers in the industry, the overall performance of the HD1000U is essentially on par with a tiny camcorder, although it's within a larger cabinet.

Indeed, this can get the job done, for budget field and budget studio use, with the shoulder-mount capability to boot.; equipped with an expanded control-set -- with perhaps, a funky exposure setting scenario, this unit offers marginal video quality direct to tape;

In Summary --

For miniscule budgets, doing video for the Internet, the Canon HV20 and HV30 units, though in the palm-sized form-factor, blow Sony's HD1000U pic quality away, most especially if you're *also* gonna' use it as a camera-recorder for ISO live video capture, especially in marginally-lit environs, IMHO.

Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 02-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast