Thread: Film Back

Film Back

Hello.

I can't find any information on getting around LW's lack of a film back setting for cameras.

I have a live plate green screen, shot at 1920x1080 on a camera with a 9mm lens and film back of 9.6mm x 5.4mm.

However, if I choose 1920x1080 and a 9mm lens with a LW camera, it doesn't match, presumably because the film back is wrong. I can do an instant match in Modo using the figures from the shoot, as Modo has a film back setting - I therefore know the figures are correct.

The question is - how do I effectively adjust the film back on a LW camera, without having the specific option available to any of the cameras?

Thanks in advance.

The physical height dimension of the film is set by the "Frame" field in the Camera Properties panel.
    8x2.8 Mac Pro, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 2600XT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (previously: G5 Quad)
    Caution: tech-savvy artist in full-on geek mode. May obsess over technical challenges until solved.

In Lightwave, you can't set the width of the film back -- only the height. The width is calculated by the aspect ratio. In order to get correct results, you need to divide the film width by the aspect ratio (so 9.6 / (16/9) in this case). For your particular setup, it isn't necessary, since 9.6 by 5.4 and 1920 by 1080 are both the same ratio, but it's worth knowing if you ever have problems getting the FOV matching.
    Are my spline guides showing?