Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk

HardCore Non-planar User steamthunk's Avatar

Arrow More Sketches

Cool links! I didn't know there was so much steampunk interest here. Keep posting them as far as I'm concerned. Heck the post title is even correct!

Here are some more concepts I've been working on over the last week. A larger portrait I might use for modeling and a sketch of the spiritualist/medium character. The latter is just in "pencils" stage. I dialed down the ornateness of the dress partly out of laziness and partly because Victorian women's fashion does not appeal to me that much. I went for a more modest Gibson girl look mixed in what I thought her character might wear as a faux gypsy costume. Still much in progress.

rak: I have had the tendency to get research burn-out in the past and never actually get to the project so I hear ya. There's a lot of Victorian era stuff in the Boston area (I live in one) so its going to be easy to get some architecture shots come time. Trick is to find some interiors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndustrialistPortrait_001.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	56003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medium-002.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	56004  

Quote Originally Posted by rakker16mm
    I'm thinking of steampunking my 12" powerbook since the case got trashed in a fall and the battery is pretty much history as well. It should look a bit like a Royal or Underwood when I am finished.... if I actually do it
    This thread had me checking the prices of typewriter keys on Ebay yesterday. Although I dont think I have the time to start a project like this now. I'm certain I could do it.

Clothing:
    http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/index.php?from=topnav

Cool stuff there. I love steampunk and your sketches are...just waiting to be modeled.

My current side project is actually a cheapo electric guitar I bought at a pawn shop; I'm converting it to steampunk, or at the least some sort of retro-punk. Exposed pickups, wingnut knobs, etc. Looks pretty cool so far. I'm wondering if I should remove the pickguard and fill the recess with mechanical parts (and a built-in effects pedal).

Cool stuff, steamthunk!
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Quote Originally Posted by inigo07
    Cool stuff there. I love steampunk and your sketches are...just waiting to be modeled.

My current side project is actually a cheapo electric guitar I bought at a pawn shop; I'm converting it to steampunk, or at the least some sort of retro-punk. Exposed pickups, wingnut knobs, etc. Looks pretty cool so far. I'm wondering if I should remove the pickguard and fill the recess with mechanical parts (and a built-in effects pedal).

Cool stuff, steamthunk!
    You might also use the original pickgard as a template and cut out some coper sheet and do some deep etching and plating. Jake Von Slaat has a great section on etching and plating on his Steampunk Workshop.

On the other hand if you go to an electronics store, even Fry's you can buy the etching solution [ I think it's Ferric ] and some photoresist. Then you just need a piece of glass, some transparencies and a nice sunny day. For my transparencies I use Scotch 3M 501 for plain paper copiers, but there are a lot of other possibilities. Just remembers that the photoresist can't represent continuos tones so if you want to represent a grey scale you need to get it into halftones first. Fortunately we have a great halftone shader in LightWave. If you haven't checked out WilliamVaughan's tutorial is definitely worth a look.

So the work flow would look something like this. Build your Steampunk models > Create a scene in Layout > Render the scene using the Halftone Shader > Print out a transparency > Prepare the coper sheet > Expose to sunlight > Etch > Plate if desired > Salt to taste

Oh yeah don't forget to keep the transparencies for when people see your excellent creation and want you to make them one just like it $$$
    Last edited by rakker16mm; 03-21-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steamthunk
    Cool links! I didn't know there was so much steampunk interest here. Keep posting them as far as I'm concerned. Heck the post title is even correct!

Here are some more concepts I've been working on over the last week. A larger portrait I might use for modeling and a sketch of the spiritualist/medium character. The latter is just in "pencils" stage. I dialed down the ornateness of the dress partly out of laziness and partly because Victorian women's fashion does not appeal to me that much. I went for a more modest Gibson girl look mixed in what I thought her character might wear as a faux gypsy costume. Still much in progress.

rak: I have had the tendency to get research burn-out in the past and never actually get to the project so I hear ya. There's a lot of Victorian era stuff in the Boston area (I live in one) so its going to be easy to get some architecture shots come time. Trick is to find some interiors.
    Your drawings are great. I like the girl especially. I do think she would have a bit of a reputation for revealing that much of her shoulders, but it could be said that is in keeping with the gypsy look. The guy looks great too but the period seems a bit modern. I can't quite put my finger on it. It may just be that the bow tie reminds me of a tuxedo which makes me think of James Bond.

It's definitely a great resource to live in a city with historic buildings. I always bring my camera with, when ever I am walking around SF. Some times people start to get a little suspicious though after I take 20+ pics of their house LOL. If you are interested perhaps we could swap pictures.

For interiors you might check out websites of people who restore Victorian and Edwardian era buildings. There is one here in San Francisco you might want to check out - http://www.sfvictoriana.com/

Also I came across another promising website when I accidently typed in - http://www.victoriana.com/

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rakker16mm
    Your drawings are great. I like the girl especially. I do think she would have a bit of a reputation for revealing that much of her shoulders, but it could be said that is in keeping with the gypsy look. The guy looks great too but the period seems a bit modern. I can't quite put my finger on it. It may just be that the bow tie reminds me of a tuxedo which makes me think of James Bond.
    Thanks for the crits. The comments about the shoulders is really funny (even if true) to me given that current comics can pretty much be a lingerie catalog.

I have to admit I'm using a mish mash of clothes. Especially for the girl. That particular dress cut is from a late Victorian/Edwardian time, but the details have been patched in from several sources. They seemed to have outfits for different times of day and occasions so I'm probably putting her in something that only gets worn in a ball. I'll try some different suits and jackets for the guy sometime. I agree something else could be tried.

It's definitely a great resource to live in a city with historic buildings. I always bring my camera with, when ever I am walking around SF. Some times people start to get a little suspicious though after I take 20+ pics of their house LOL. If you are interested perhaps we could swap pictures.
    I'll need some pictures first. I'm working on roughing in some head models right now, but once I get to street scenery I'll definitely take some pictures around town. I would be easy to set up a site where we could share pictures and other files if people are interested.

I saw a magazine at the mall called Victorian Homes which seemed to have interesting pics in it. Also I've used costumes.org for some references.

Quote Originally Posted by steamthunk
    I'll need some pictures first. I'm working on roughing in some head models right now, but once I get to street scenery I'll definitely take some pictures around town. I would be easy to set up a site where we could share pictures and other files if people are interested.
    A site sounds like a great idea. As long as the bandwidth doesn't become an issue it shouldn't be very expensive. Most Victorian era photos would be public domain as well, though I have noticed that people do put copy rights on them after the fact. I don't think there would be too many issues with the street photography either as that should fall under fair use since it is for reference purposes.

Today I was working some Victorian architectural elements from "Bicknell's Victorian Buildings" A. J. Bicknell & CO. were known for their Second Empire / French / Gothic buildings. Lots of brick and Dorner windows. I tend to go more for the Queen Ann style and Edwardian style that there is so much of in San Francisco, but Bicknell's stuff is kind of growing on me. Any way I would be happy share any of the elements like brackets and window surounds for people to add to their own buildings. Not that modeling top notch or anything but I do try to keep it to scale as much as I can. I was going to send one of the brackets but I can't get it to upload at the moment.

OK then lets try again. I think I just needed to put compress it. OK that did it. Any way this is nothing exiting really. It's just a bracket.
    Last edited by rakker16mm; 04-06-2008 at 07:54 PM.

I spent a little time this week doing some studies for the buildings I will be modeling in my story. I'm going for 1870's - 1906 when the great Earthquake hits San Francisco, but instead of having just the typical Queen an style and Edwardian flats normally associated with SF I will be mixing ing in quite a bit of 2nd Empire with a heavy gothic feel to it. The second sketch is more typical of what you would see in SF today. I still want to keep the spirit of the City but this is an alternate timeline version so I need to make it reflect that as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd_Empire_0001.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	56599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof_Overhang.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	56601  

rakker16mm,
    Thanks for the thoughts and sharing your work. Also thanks for teaching me some stuff, I was ignorant of the term Second Empire, I did some goggling and then realized it was that awesome architectural style.

The new links you provided are very cool. The Jules Verve style mobile big thing....wow. Its kinda of a humble howls moving castle or baby howls moving castle. Seeing it being hauled through that arid place adds to the bizarreness and unique beauty of this contraption.

P.S. I epically enjoyed the second drawing you provided of the section of architecture from that Second Empire period. Lovely tonal quality to that picture.
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

Thank you Bluerider,

I appreciate the compliments. I know what you mean about the term second empire as I recently figured out that it was an architectural style rather than a form of colonial rule and that did take a while LOL. I'll be posting more soon as I seem to be on a bit of a roll at the moment.

I'm doing quite a bit of storyboarding these days and although I draw a lot of characters I don't really get a chance to focus on a good character study. I prefer to work on traditional media, but on my current project I am using a tablet so that the work doesn't have to be scanned at the end of each session. That 6X9 space just isn't the same as nice big sheet of paper, then again I would have thrown away quite a bit of paper so far on this project

I saw some of your excellent character sketches in this section of the guy with the hat an goggles. I got the impression those were from a previous time and I hope you are keeping up with it because your work is really great.

rakker16mm,
    Guy with goggles, thanks. Currently I am multi tasking in about 4 different disciplines as the moment. I am hoping this weekend to combine my characters designs with my 2D environment backgrounds.

The characters I need to be build in LightWave then I.K. then a simple walk cycle test. The 2D backgrounds have already been developed enough, the one I have in mind is in the digital painting thread, currently the last example.
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

Originally I was going to make my story into a film but other considerations like making a living have gotten in the way So at this point I am more incline to make a graphic novel. Fortunately the guy I am storyboarding for now has published several books already and is willing to help walk me through the process. Then if I get a bit of breathing room in terms of money and time I will have great resource for raising interest in my project and a pretty good start on a storyboard as well.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rakker16mm View Post
    Originally I was going to make my story into a film but other considerations like making a living have gotten in the way So at this point I am more incline to make a graphic novel.
    I hear ya. Man just got back on the boards after a hectic week. Looks like some cool stuff got posted. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the architecture to know the difference. Are you planning of modeling all that detail?

I'd love to see concept sketches for your graphic novel. I'm less ambitious and trying to just get a few stand-alone pages of a steampunk-esque comic done. I started modeling the head for my industrialist character, but stuff has taken a back seat right now in face of a work crunch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast