Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk

HardCore Non-planar User steamthunk's Avatar

Arrow Steampunk

Been drawn back to yet another attempt at comics lately. Here is a character concept I've been working on for one of the heroes of a steampunk universe I've been developing. A wealthy Industrialist who is missing a hand from an industrial accident. Nearly finished with this one.

TabletPC and Alias Sketchbook; Poser for the (umm) pose because foreshortening is a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndBW.png 
Views:	499 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	55947  

Look Great! and by the way I am very biassed as Steampunk is one of my favorite genres. I've been think about doing a something with the haltone shader.

Yeah! Well done. I definitely enjoy the bold outlines. I think my only crit would be that the buckle on the strap across his chest seems a little to straight-on, like it doesn't match the perspective of his chest there. Maybe it's just me though.

I can't wait to see the rest of your heroes.

HardCore Non-planar User steamthunk's Avatar
    rak: yeah Steampunk rocks, but its an intricate aesthetic that requires added research for sure. I assume you've checked out steampunkmagazine.com.

bass: Yes I agree on the buckle bit. I'll rework that when I finish inking the piece. Can't believe I missed that.

I've got a few more pieces I'm working on that I'll keep posting. I want to do some of these characters again in LW, but I'll probably only use them as starting points for inking. Maybe coloring too. Seems very difficult to capture an organic style that doesn't look too 3D.

steamthunk,

I totally agree about the research. It's not easy to get the aesthetics right if you don't have a good reference point. I have file folders nested in file folders of image searches I have done on the internet. Right now I am burning up a lot of shoe leather taking pictures of Victorian and edwardian homes in San Francisco. I think I have spent more time researching than drawing though

Yeah teh steam punk look is such a great look. I need to go look at some samples and try a few things out. I love the whole Jules Verne, HG Wells retro era thing.

Nice character steamthunk
    The ethereal riders gallop over the rooftops

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    I LOVE this image. Great work there. Steampunk rules.

The only thing I think I would add, is a steam compression chamber, backpack style to really give it that Steampunk feeling of overbearing hugeness when it comes to the tech. I mean, how else is that hand going to be powered, right?

Jake von Slatt has news letter and a very cool website

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

I also have some other links if people are interested, but I have to dig them up, and they are not quite as steampunk specific.

OoooooKkkkkkkkk, this is becoming a really good resource thread for Steampunk reference.

rakker16mm, that was an awesome link.

I was wondering if we should we start another thread for Steampunk links and all things related because I really don't like highjaking any ones thread. Any way I think I have a bunch of links some where on one of my hard drives. if not I am sure I can still find most of the websites again.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Man that website rules... I love the computer remade all Victorian style.

Yeah, more links please

Check out the custom keyboards here:

http://www.datamancer.net/

Quote Originally Posted by rakker16mm
    I was wondering if we should we start another thread for Steampunk links and all things related because I really don't like highjaking any ones thread. Any way I think I have a bunch of links some where on one of my hard drives. if not I am sure I can still find most of the websites again.
    You didn't hijack it, your contribution was totally on topic. You injected it with more inspiration.

I'll maybe move it to another thread though. I think it will definitely be a good one to add links to. Your ideas are good and considerate.

Argh! Five minute edit limit. Tzan you are right about Datamancer he's the best. You might also like the mouse on http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com...20/img_0616-2/

I'm thinking of steampunking my 12" powerbook since the case got trashed in a fall and the battery is pretty much history as well. It should look a bit like a Royal or Underwood when I am finished.... if I actually do it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast