Thread: beer bottle label

beer bottle label

Hi Everbody!

I have made a bottle of beer. I used dielectric for the glass. But I want to use a label in the surface. How can I do this using only one node?
    I know that I can make anothe layer and do This, but I would prefer to use just one node.

Thanks,

Zatara

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Hm, just one node?
    No way. But you could use a second material for the label and use the alpha of the label to drive a material switcher.

You'd still have a problem with the label being on the inside and the other side of the bottle, so I suggest UV mapping it only to the outside, front polygons of the bottle.

Mind you, this is off the top of my head, I haven't actually tried it yet.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    You'd still have a problem with the label being on the inside and the other side of the bottle, so I suggest UV mapping it only to the outside, front polygons of the bottle.

Mind you, this is off the top of my head, I haven't actually tried it yet.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Actually, no. You could have a back face logic that does the same as the fron switch. The alpha would govern if it was air or paper.

Give me a few minutes and I'll try it.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Sorry, LightWolf I somehow misread that. Yes, you'd have to only use the outside polys.

OK, this has a lot more then 1 node to do the label, but gives the label a back as well.

How it works:
    We have 2 front materials: Glass and Label. They are fed into a switch (FrontfaceSwitch) that uses the Alpha of the Label image to govern where to render glass and where to render paper.

We also have to materials representing the backfaces (like the old air polys): Labels back and Air (air and Label are just standard materials). They are again fed into a switch (Backface Switch) that uses the alpha of the image to govern where is draws paper and where it draws air.

The results of both of the switches are then fed into a third switch that handles where to render front and where back.

He who likes materials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottles.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	43319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottlelabel.gif 
Views:	370 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	43320  
    Last edited by DogBoy; 03-03-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the reply. I will made some tests, and I will post the results.

Thanks one more time,

Ztr

Freelance Filmmakers ghostlight's Avatar
    You know what may be a mistake, but actually looks pretty nice, is some horizontal flaws in your bottle's refraction due to low model resolution. It reminded me that bottles in real life have seams and other imperfections that mess with the light. Maybe you could create a vertical seam or some random bumpiness? Lookin' good.

ooh, good point. I'm just thinking how to do that: weightmap? or actually model it?

Dang, now I'll be thinking of bottles all day .

Freelance Filmmakers ghostlight's Avatar
    I always liked digital photos. Take a picture of a black on white or white on black drip. Car bumpers are gold mines for texture alphas. Take the picture into photoshop, give it clean edges, make the white part the drip, and UV that onto your model for a bump or displacement map. With nodes, you can also plug that alpha into other surface attributes to, say, make the drip bumpy, less shiney, and maybe as an alpha to allow micro scratches since it's bumped out more. It's all out there, man, in the WORLD! Yeah.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar

Imperfections...

This is a wine bottle I rendered a few years ago, the imperfections are just a bunch of procedural layers.

As always with glass, reflections are the key.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flasche_Large.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	43365