Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A lazer beam that shoots out of the camera

A lazer beam that shoots out of the camera

I want a lazer beam that shoots out of the camera amd bounces back to tell you how far away an object is from the lens. More measuring tools in layout would be a bonus hey!

add a null to your scene, then click

properties>geometry>add custom object>range finder

instant laser

is that what you're looking for?
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Can't pass this up... sorry.

I went here: Utilities > Additional > Sea Bass. Make sure your dialouge box looks like mine. I then parented the sea bass to the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog
    instant laser
    No it is not an instant lazer because

A: you had to add a null

B: it isnt going to tell you the distance from the lens to a polygon, it will tell you the distance to the null.

I want to know the distance from the lens to the polygon that the crosshair is on, by a click of a button. No nulls to move around and parent to things, I want it to be easy to measure the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont
    I went here: Utilities > Additional > Sea Bass. Make sure your dialouge box looks like mine. I then parented the sea bass to the camera.
    I will try your nonsence, it might work, but it should be a stat displayed along with XYZ for camera usage.

Yeah, I found that plugin at Flay.com.

So you want range finding in Layout? No you can't have it instant. And yes, if you really want to do it, you're going to have to make a null and move it to the poly in question.

And the lens would be the exact position of the camera.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    Yeah, what exactly do you need this for? To get the distance you'd need to shoot a ray off.

i want to have it though, it is a request, a feature request. two examples of why I want it; dof and match moving. yes, I can parent a null to my battle ship or whatever and get the distance, but the distance between the lens and the poly's on the front of the ship is different from the distance from the lens to the polys on the side of the ship. and yes, i could get realviz matchmover to make match moving easier.

it is a request, a small simple feature request which would make layout easier, thats all.

[QUOTE=it is a request, a small simple feature request which would make layout easier, thats all.[/QUOTE]

More power to ya - you will not get it if you do not ask. Good idea keep on asking until you get what you want and need.

Lamont - you had me looking for that sea bass plugin

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Lamont - you had me looking for that sea bass plugin
    LOL! The icon and the fake OK and Cancel buttons were an immediate give away before I even noticed what the interface was about.

I personally find this request useless. But that is just my opinion. It's a matter of literally 4 seconds to simply add a null and add the range finder. 4 more seconds to positin it at the polygon you want. No parenting whatsoever is needed.

But if you still want to request it, you're allowed to.
    Samuel Kvaalen
    [www.kvaalen.com]

I want a sea bass with a frickin laser on it's head!! LOL

Of course, you COULD just use the available range finding tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont
    LOL!!!!!!

LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaalen
    I personally find this request useless. But that is just my opinion. It's a matter of literally 4 seconds to simply add a null and add the range finder. 4 more seconds to positin it at the polygon you want. No parenting whatsoever is needed.
    Did you actually time yourself? It would probably take about that much time to program it in to Lightwave too. You can remove an 14mm nut with a pair of vise grips, but it's better to use a 14mm wrench.

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    It's not that easy to code, as I've said you'd have to raytrace to find out the exact distance until it hits something. This value would then be useless when you animated if it as it's be changing dramatically each frame.

Just parent a null to a camera, and make that null your focal length. Then you can animate this null to animate your focal length. It's a much better way to do it, although not as automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmacop
    It's not that easy to code
    really, you saying it must make it so.

your just looking for an argument. example for use A: lets say i am using dof and the camera is on the inside of a ball and i want to focus on a paticular spot an pan to another spot. Would it be easier to point the camera at the spot and look at the value in the corner, or move a null around until it is in the exact spot? B: I want to move the arm of my animated object 5 meters closer to the camera from one frame to the next. Woud it be faster to point the camea at the finger and look at the value in the corner, or move a null around until it is in the exact spot?

and where does ray tracing come in? i wasnt talking about rendering mate.

Ray tracing is how you find a point in 3D space on a poly/surface.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast