Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Flickr Watch us on YouTube
Register

slow left mouse button response

I've owned LightWave 7.0 for about 3 years, but only recently have I actually started to sit down and do something besides some random tutorials. I was recently leafing through the manual, and noticed this problem. I recently re-installed LightWave on my iBook (600MHz, OS X 10.2.8) and immediately installed the 7.5d update, so I can't vouch for this problem with earlier versions:

The left mouse button response for even basic tools is incredibly slow. Dragging out something simple like a 2D box with the LMB produces a geometrical movement only about 10% of the movement of my mouse. Dragging out a box with my LMB results in a situation where my cursor reaches the edge of my screen long before my box is the desired size.

Here's a screenshot of a box drawn with my LMB (note that OS X doesn't include the LW cursor in screen captures, I had to use Grab which inserts the standard Mac cursor, not the LW one, so imagine the LW box cursor):

Here's the same-sized box drawn with my right mouse button, which works exactly as expect (box drawn in real-time, to the location of my cursor). Notice that the bottom-right corner of the box and the mouse are correctly in the same location:

I don't think my problem is my mouse (Logitech MX500), since disconnecting the mouse and only using the trackpad has identical results. Nevertheless, I just installed the most recent version of the Logitech Control Center software, but to no avail. Similarly, setting my mouse speed (I use a utility called MouseZoom which has never caused any problems before now) to the "default Apple maximum" speed (1.7) has does not solve anything either.

I'm utterly confused about this because while the behavior of the RMB is flawless, the LMB is pretty much unusable at this point.

Any ideas?

Try removing the Logitech Control Center alltogether and using USB Overdrive instead.

I removed the Logitech Control Center, but that didn't solve anything.

I removed MouseZoom, but that didn't solve anything.

I installed USB Overdrive, but that didn't solve anything.

I completely removed LightWave 7.5d, and reinstalled LightWave 7.0 from my CD. 7.0 was completely fine -- the above-mentioned mouse problem didn't manifest.

I then installed the 7.5 update, and again, no problems.

Feeling intrepid, I installed the 7.5c update only to experience the (what I later found out to be) infamous "G3 Modeler crash syndrome".

Going further, I installed the 7.5d update, but the problems came back.

I deleted my preference and config files, but that didn't solve anything.

So, the issue is apparently version 7.5d. I guess that means I'll have to stick with 7.5. I'm not sure what I'm missing with the "c" or "d" updates, but I suppose that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh?

Just for who might find this thread in the future, here's my configuration:
    • iBook "Late 2001" (G3 600MHz, 640MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.2.8, ATI Rage "M3p29s" (Rage 128?) with 8MB VRAM)
    • Logitech MX 500 mouse with Logitech Control Center (but trialling USB Overdrive)
    • problem LightWave version: 7.5d
    • working LightWave version 7.5

Thanks for taking a swing at my problem, though, guys!

I am using a similar configuration:

Powerbook G4 1,33Ghz 15" 768 Mb (Ati 9600 64Mb)
    Lightwave 7.5d
    Mouse Logitech MX500 (using OSX drivers, necer used or installed Logitech Control Center)

But i am not having those problems with the mouse. It works very fast using left or right mouse button.

If you like, i can make you a movie capture.

Have you trying to change for "tablet" in the preferences of Lightwave?

or

Have you a panel, for your mouse? (Like the wacom tablet driver); whereyou can change the speed of the mouse?