Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIPS : Cool stuff to do at LWUG meetings!

Quote Originally Posted by etobiason
    Several people in the group mentioned the idea of collaborating on an animation project in the future. Kevman, you mentioned that you've never seen this work and I had misgivings about it from the start.
    Long time no respond... Til now... lol!

The reason I believe that group projects die off so quickly and often Fail is this...

Teams fall to bits when (a) they try and develop their own material. That leads to (b) the animosity that you feel when you think you had a better idea then what you end up doing, and now (c) why are you spending all this time working on someone elses ideas when you could be doing your own thing.

However, to get something that will work, I've been discussing this with one of the guys in the group here over some lunchtimes, and we figured something along these lines might be the answer to a workable LWUG project...

First rule: Don't get the group to come up with the concept
    That's the first killer - Some people have ideas they would LOVE to see made into an animation, but so do other people. People will tend to group off into more groups - The Trekkies want to do a cool CG space thing, one person wanted to do a kids story, someone else thought it would be cool to make an action horror flick, someone else wanted to make cute insect animals...

Suddenly everyone's arguing, everybody wants to do their thing - The start of the crumbling wall has begun, even if people reluctantly go along with others ideas, you can bet they won't last...

Instead...

Find a local artist, someone unassociated with the group - Someones friend who draws comics, or hey, if its never going to go further then as a fun group project, find an established commercial comic or cartoon, or graphic novel that everyone gets into...

Why - Hey, if its something a lot of people are familiar with (like a comic book, or TV show) then they're likely to think that it could be fun. Plus, the art design is already there to be drawn from, your concept is there and nobody is stepping on anyones ego's or feelings with their own ideas... Less hurt, more gain!

Second : Have a go, but no pressure
    The idea is not to force commitment from users, but to make the project open. Put all the reference material on a forum, or site somewhere. Ask people to take their pick, but let you know who's working on what so that you don't double up on projects.

No time frames, and definitely no forced commitments on anyone - If you wanna have a go, please do. If you want to sit back and watch, please do!

Third : Quality Control, with positive outcome
    Sure, you're gonna get a variety of users want to do things. Some will be better then others, but obviously the idea with a User Group is to involve users, and encourage everyone to try, or learn.

So what if a user submits one real bad model? Do you can it, and say 'I'm sorry - Your model sucked, we can't use it!'. Funnily enough - Yes, and also No...

After submission of files (models, textures, etc), place it somewhere available for download (a forum comes to mind as a good repository). Allow users to download and share data, and that way, if a user feels that they can't finish something, another can pick it up and carry on. (back to that 'no pressure' idea).

Also, if a user sees a 'bad' model, they should be able to download it and at least repair it, or rebuild it... However, to encourage all users to play a part and to not be discouraged, a feedback system should be put in place. A user can only modify an asset as long as they explain WHY and WHAT they were changing in a manner that makes the process more educational for everyone, including the original author of the files. Discourage juvenile behavior like 'I remade your sucky model, cause you suck' and Encourage 'Your model needed some TLC. Since we need to animate it walking about in the later stage of the project, we need to make sure that the polygon layout is tidy - Here's a sketch of what I mean by clean flow.'

So to make such a project successful, I would see:
    (a) An externalised concept design (comic, cartoon, graphic novel, etc)
    (b) An open, no-timeframe volunteer approach to participation
    (c) Critique and tutorial style feedback on work

All of this information I would invisage sitting in some kind of repository, preferably a forum system, open to the LWUG and forming not only a fun project, but also a valuable educational experience for users.

Just our take on the idea... It could be workable like this...
    -- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

Wow. That's a brilliant set of ideas - there's usually a bit of show'n'tell with the London group meetings, but nothing this organised.

Might just pilfer a leaf from your book there, feller!
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Might just pilfer a leaf from your book there, feller!
    What the!?!?! Pilfering tips from this thread for your own use? Well, I never! lol!

Nice to see people still read this thread... So, who's in charge of the London LWUG there?

Kev.
    -- --

-- --

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevman3d
    So, who's in charge of the London LWUG there?

Kev.
    Knowing Bog and Dogboy Kev, my guess, who ever is left standing at the end of the night.
    Gentleshaw Wildlife Centre

Want to learn to model?
    'Nuff said.

I prefer to just ramble on about the technical aspects of rendering in a drunken haze with a bunch of nerds.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Quote Originally Posted by colkai
    Knowing Bog and Dogboy Kev, my guess, who ever is left standing at the end of the night.
    Starbase1 is a safer bet as he doesn't drink himself in to a stupor like me and Bog.

Yeah, Nick is LLWDG head honcho. Yup *hic*
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I am?!?!

Well, I'll admit to often being the first to suggest a date, and setting up the LWUK list, but not a lot more!

If anyone wants a specific tip, then start by finding what dates the people who have a track record of showing up can make, then invite everyone else.

And chose a big pub.

Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DogBoy
    Yeah, Nick is LLWDG head honcho. Yup *hic*
    Sorry that was High Priest and Grand Poobah.
    I agree getting a core group together makes for follow ups much easier.
    Last edited by DogBoy; 02-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

There's a facebook group set up - for those youngsters who use those things! - here, for london LWers: http://www.facebook.com/groups/6256849757/

And the website, updated sporadically: http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/
    Nick - haven't seen you in a while. If anyone wants to organise another meetup, I can rustle up a flyer

EDIT: Also - Nick, if you want me to add you as an admin for the facebook group, just ask!
    Last edited by dsol; 07-06-2012 at 04:41 AM.
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

wow... This is an ancient thread so I was impressed when someone posted something to it.

Nick - haven't seen you in a while. If anyone wants to organise another meetup, I can rustle up a flyer

EDIT: Also - Nick, if you want me to add you as an admin for the facebook group, just ask!
    That's kinda amusing - Nick's posting was in 2007. Its now 2012...

But I gotta say - How times have changed since these threads were posted regarding LWUG's, "making a website", getting the word out, etc... Now we have online social Networking, CMS-based websites, blogs, twitters, smart phones, streaming media, etc, etc. So much online communication compared to 15+ years ago...

Man, it makes me feel so old just thinking about it.

Oh yeh, Web and FB pages for the NZ LWUG are in my signature below...
    Last edited by kevman3d; 07-06-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    -- --

-- --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12