Thread: PTZ Cam Autofocus Issues

PTZ Cam Autofocus Issues

Good Morning All,

I just purchased some PTZ1 cameras and excited about the idea of moving to a full NDI workflow. For now we are mixing these cameras with the Sony EVI 100S PTZ cameras and using the SDI and RS_432 control. I can't wait to move away from this and go full IP and will invest in 8 cameras once we are comfortable.

I am having some serious issues with the Newtek PTZ1 autofocus when zooming in. The autofocus is so bad and can't keep up with zooming in to the point we can't even use it on the show... a serious issue for us. Our subjects are about 15-20' away from our cameras.

I have tried to set autofocus to normal, fast and it does not seem to change anything. I had updated the firm ware when we bought these cameras about a month ago so I think that is fine.

Does anyone have any incite? Would moving to an IP controller like the PTZ Optics IP controller and away from the VISCA protocol help at all or is this a camera issue?

Are you using the PTZ1 cameras with a TriCaster? If so, then camera control can be done via NDI over the network. You will have access to up to 15 presets per camera, and each preset can have its own MANUAL FOCUS setting, so then you don't need to worry about auto focus. Please let us know all gear in the workflow

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Are you using the PTZ1 cameras with a TriCaster? If so, then camera control can be done via NDI over the network. You will have access to up to 15 presets per camera, and each preset can have its own MANUAL FOCUS setting, so then you don't need to worry about auto focus. Please let us know all gear in the workflow

Thanks

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, I put that in my message.
    "For now we are mixing these cameras with the Sony EVI 100S PTZ cameras and using the SDI and RS_232 control."

We are using the RS-232 in/outs for control with the compatible VISCA Sony controller.
    We are not using the Tricaster because of cost, we are using the Blackmagic Switcher with SDI for now until we hopefully are able to adopt to full NDI with wirecast or maybe a tricaster.

Using presets is fine for still shots but won't help us when trying to zoom into the subject on a live feed.

My question is that is it just a flaw of the camera that can't be fixed or is it possible moving to an IP controller over NDI would help or have more better options for autofocus control?

Can you explain a little about the AF issues you're seeing. I've not seen a problem with AF keeping up, at least not when performing a moderate speed manual zoom. For the record, I don't think we advertise RS-232 control as a feature. While it wouldn't surprise me to find it works as well as NDI control, it wouldn't surprise me to find that it wasn't a 1:1 thing either.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you wanted to try NDI control of PTZ1 cameras, you would have full control from any PC running the free Newtek NDI Studio Monitor software. You can see the camera feed on-screen, even full-screen if you want, with camera controls overlaid on screen and controllable via mouse - presets, focus, zoom, and virtual joystick available. Also, one can connect a Windows gaming joystick to that PC and use the physical joystick for PTZ control. If no access to an existing network, just wire cameras and PC to same network switch ($50). Simple setup and config.

I've not tried the joystick method myself, but supposed to work. And also, one is supposed to be able to open multiple instances of the software on the same screen, to control multiple cameras. Just change "focus" between them to swap control.

No reason you can't control camera over network using NDI, and still have live output via SDI and HDMI to your switcher.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1