Thread: Lightwave 2018 - FiberFX Load Object From Scene crashes Lightwave!

Exclamation Lightwave 2018 - FiberFX Load Object From Scene crashes Lightwave!

Hi Folks.

There is a bug in Lightwave 2018 which has brought work on one of my movie projects to a complete halt. When I Load Object From Scene and I load in an object that has FiberFX hair/fur applied to it, once I switch to VPR mode (or if I already have it turned on) Layout crashes!! This bug was present in Lightwave 2018.0.3 (and I'm assuming previous versions). I reported it and it was confirmed to be a bug and it would be looked at. Lightwave 2018.0.4 is out now and this bug is still there. As a result, I can't load objects from one scene into another, that have FiberFX applied to them, and this has brought my Shooting Stars 3 movie project to a complete halt. I have reported the bug again to Newtek in the hope this can be sorted but the reason for this post is to first air the issue, and second to see if anyone has any ideas how to get around the issue?
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Yes, I can confirm this is a bug in LW2018.0.4 with a very simple FiberFX scene.

FYI, the issue appears to be that the Load Items from Scene doesn't correctly interpret the {Parent Name} subchunk of the Fiber primitive plugin section of the Scene file. Even if I move the subchunk to the beginning of the Plugin information, Load Scene will load it but Load Items from Scene will not:

Plugin PrimitiveHandler 1 FiberPrimitive
    { ParentName
    "FiberFX_Tests:Layer5"
    }
    EndPlugin

So, if you use Load Scene, the Fiber primitive's Properties has a parent mesh:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FiberFX_LW2018.0.4_LoadScene.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	707.4 KB 
ID:	141657

whereas using Load Items from Scene doesn't properly tie the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh:

Name:	FiberFX_LW2018.0.4_LoadItemFromScene_Crash.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	963.5 KB 
ID:	141658

As well, it isn't just VPR. If you try to Clone the Fiber primitive, it also crashes Layout.

I've attached my very simplistic FiberFX test scene. You might add this information and the simple test scene to your Bug Report, if you haven't already provided a reproducer for them.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any workaround without a code change to make Load Items from Scene find the {ParentName} chunk and properly tie the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh.

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 05-12-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Correct parent name in ParentName subchunk; typo

A further review of the LWS file may mean there are other sources of not tying the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh. There's also an FFobject chunk which references the parent mesh, as well as ItemID's identifying it.

I still think the source of the crash is not having the parent mesh set up correctly, for whatever reason (any of these, or something else).

mTp

MonroePoteet, thanks very much for looking into this and confirming the issue, and what's wrong. I have updated the bug report with this. I appreciate it.
    KnightTrek Productions

Smile

Newtek got back to me on this matter with a solution. When you Load Object From Scene, you have to expand the Scene content in the load box and also load in the two FiberFX items too. Here's the pic they sent me:

Name:	FiberFX_LoadFromScene.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	141691
    When you do this, it works perfectly.
    KnightTrek Productions

UPDATE: Another bug. When you do as outlined above and load an object from one scene to another that has FiberFX applied to it, it works fine. But if you then load a second object in that also has FiberFX applied to it, Lightwave just closes instantly, no crash, just closes back to the desktop. Bummer .
    KnightTrek Productions

These are the kinds of bugs that even rudimentary module testing and code review should be catching, so their surviving into release (and then across updates) is... very disappointing.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ::sigh::

Is it just me or are these kind of mistakes rather... bush league?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Hi Folks.

There is a bug in Lightwave 2018 which has brought work on one of my movie projects to a complete halt. When I Load Object From Scene and I load in an object that has FiberFX hair/fur applied to it, once I switch to VPR mode (or if I already have it turned on) Layout crashes!! This bug was present in Lightwave 2018.0.3 (and I'm assuming previous versions). I reported it and it was confirmed to be a bug and it would be looked at. Lightwave 2018.0.4 is out now and this bug is still there. As a result, I can't load objects from one scene into another, that have FiberFX applied to them, and this has brought my Shooting Stars 3 movie project to a complete halt. I have reported the bug again to Newtek in the hope this can be sorted but the reason for this post is to first air the issue, and second to see if anyone has any ideas how to get around the issue?
    as a workaround.. you could try the fiberfx presets in my tools, which I believe you have.