Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lw2018.... A magazine review

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I keep hearing this from different people.

I see the reason in the the cheap price of LW und the low budget of its users.

LWCAD works much better outside LW since quite a while. If you like LWCAD and its ArchViz tools, you want to have them in a parametric, non destructive way.
    How do you figure that. Ive seen it running in C4D and Max and its nowhere near as comprehensive as it is in LightWave
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    How do you figure that. Ive seen it running in C4D and Max and its nowhere near as comprehensive as it is in LightWave
    I'm using the latest beta of 2018 in C4D and I'm not missing any Archviz tool. The ones that are not.in LWCAD are the ones that are part of the apps base package (like proper spline tools) and not needed in my opinion. Which LWCAD tools don't you see in the other apps?

Im not running the latest Beta so i cant speak for that yet. So how much better is it than the Lite version in LWCad 5.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/09/wto...cad-lite-5-25/

Thing is, all of the major 3d packages rely on plugins to a greater or lesser degree. Max, Maya all have a significant plugin base, even for stuff thats actually built into them. Houdini which is one of the most expensive for the full version still has plugins although admittedly few because there is very little you cant do in it.

Its not always about cost and what someone can afford, if it were most studios would have dumped Maya years ago and gone to Houdini, thing is modeling in Houdini is a PITA, but effects are superb. Blender is free, but it also has paid plugins, take a look at Flip Fluids, thats really coming on fantastically and its also cheap for a fluid plugin. Octane has a Blender version now. If the user base is seen as big enough then developers will make plugins for it, even for free apps like Blender.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; Today at 06:03 AM.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.

Frequenter
    I just happen to start a new project using LW2018.0.4 from the start up and am preparing first renderings for test comps using the new buffer system and have to say - 2018 is a joy to work in! I just love the ease of adding custom buffers and the buffer management in general! So much smoother and more flexible now and a lot more elegant than even some major other renderers in other host apps I had to work with in the past ( ...won´t name them now as we all know its not nice manners, but anyway...)

Did I say, I actually dare using bruteforce GI for actual projects since the new release? Yes, I still use CPU´s as we have access to a decent CPU-based renderfarm (I also own a license of OctaneFor but it is way more cost effective for me/us using a "traditional" renderfarm for quite some time I guess...)

For me its easily a lot of stars worth in that department! ;-)

So - for me at least - there are a ton more reasons than just LWCad for still using LW!
    just my 2cents...

Yes true, there are plugins for all big packages with tons of goodies. But no package relies on plugins so much for basic functionality like snapping, splines, the whole OD stuff basically.

LWCAD for the other apps contain all important Archviz tools like Walls, Windows, Doors, all kind of Stairs, Roofs, Shingles and also the Primitives, Pipes, Boolean, UV Tools, UCF, Library objects etc. since LWCAD 5.5.

They are held as parametric objects and can be modified any time later. They also interact well with other objects, (native or 3rd party) generators or deformers. That allows for example to add parametric Bevels or Booleans to Walls etc.

What it doesn't contain (yet) are special Spline tools, NURBS, but they are not required anyway.

What I prefer in LWCAD for LW is that it doesn't require online activation / node locking.
    Last edited by Marander; Today at 08:26 AM.

if you for using LightWave 5 days a week you should get LWcad
    http://www.lwcad.com
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678