Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightwave on "jane the virgin"

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... but a certain type of proclamation I find it hard to be comfortable with, and if the option was there..I may actually report signaturs as offensive, but then again it isn't aimed at me personally..though the general proclamation is offensive to me personally if that makes any sense.
    Speaking from a strictly philosophic point of view, and maybe equally a pragmatic one, I think one who hopes to go through life shielded from every little thing they disagree with on a personal level is going to have to lock themself in a closet. On the other hand, certain things are overtly offensive to the average viewer, and/or 'hot-button issues' virtually guaranteed, even designed, to provoke serious ire. The latter are much more likely to be moderated than a simple expression of a subjective view that other may disagree with but not abhor.

So, for example someone who took issue with Jeric's sig might add "Always Film the Criminals!" to their own. OK, dueling sigs ... now what? I don't really see a big problem with that, at first blush, unless it spills over into the conversation, which would immediately be a technical breach of forum policy, but one which might offend to a lesser or greater degree depending on the style of rhetoric involved. There's no one answer. You can't legislate civility, but perhaps you can recognize its absence pretty easily. On a personal note, your own posting practices indicate you're capable of exercising that level of discretion.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Speaking from a strictly philosophic point of view, and maybe equally a pragmatic one, I think one who hopes to go through life shielded from every little thing they disagree with on a personal level is going to have to lock themself in a closet. On the other hand, certain things are overtly offensive to the average viewer, and/or 'hot-button issues' virtually guaranteed, even designed, to provoke serious ire. The latter are much more likely to be moderated than a simple expression of a subjective view that other may disagree with but not abhor.

So, for example someone who took issue with Jeric's sig might add "Always Film the Criminals!" to their own. OK, dueling sigs ... now what? I don't really see a big problem with that, at first blush, unless it spills over into the conversation, which would immediately be a technical breach of forum policy, but one which might offend to a lesser or greater degree depending on the style of rhetoric involved. There's no one answer. You can't legislate civility, but perhaps you can recognize its absence pretty easily. On a personal note, your own posting practices indicate you're capable of exercising that level of discretion.
    Yes..agree a lot, though there is a difference when we talk about the forums here with explicit rules on not discussing politics, religion and some other stuff, there are a lot of places where we go for freedoom of speach, but as these forums are held by Newtek and specific rules, I canīt say that I find it should be tolerable with every little thing as you say, it simply isnīt due to forum rules, and these forum rules are not what we or I need to face and tolerate in the Real world

While having a more acceptable tone towards smaller proclamations in the signature, while some of them may be very harmless as your own, and some quite clear is promoting views on politics or religion,
    It may be something to react and consider, then again some things may be taking the tone of a humorous qoute or stand point.

So My wondering is wether or not it would be okay to proclaim your own political or religious standpoint in the signature? and is that judged by what purpose that signature has as repeating itself in some kind of marketing of a lifestyle etc, while I feel more at ease if someone occasionally would bring up what their standpoint would be during a discussion actually as long as One close it at that and not expand on it too long in the discussion, it could be a humourus remark of ones life situation etc.

Itīs just some thoughts I have on some signatures that I find it odd that I can see some of the situations mentioned alive in some signatures, though I of course respect that Newtek not necessarely find it offensive or breaking any rules, and fid it quite tolerable.

Jerics signature I do not see any issues with really, itīs message isnīt pragmatic in such way that I would find it offensive, and it clearly can be taken with some humour as well as serious meaning...a bit ambiguous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123