Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Plagiarizing from competitors: c4d "regular grid" option/ gridiffying geometry

  1. #1
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,478

    Plagiarizing from competitors: c4d "regular grid" option/ gridiffying geometry

    One shortage I feel all too often with LWM is a lack of automatic "gridiffying" tools.

    As LWM evolves, I'd certainly like to see more of this kind of thing (cued up):

    I realize that gridiffying arbitrary polygonal geometry is different (and more difficult) from doing the same to what are essentially algorithmically generated, spline based meshes as illustrated here, but, it sure would be nice.


    (BTW, video makers: this presenter has an exceptionally good vocal style: he's clear, concise, no "uhhhhhh"s, and varies his delivery. Take note.)
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-07-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: rewording
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    I hope you are making feature requests through the system, and not just posting here. It doesn't seem like the devs see it otherwise. I like the idea.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    One lack I feel all too often with LWM is a lack of automatic "gridiffying" tools.

    As LWM evolves, I'd certainly like to see more of this kind of thing (cued up):

    I realize that gridiffying arbitrary polygonal geometry is different (and more difficult) from doing the same to what are essentially algorithmically generated, spline based meshes as illustrated here, but, it sure would be nice.


    (BTW, video makers: this presenter has an exceptionally good vocal style: he's clear, concise, no "uhhhhhh"s, and varies his delivery. Take note.)
    Dude two comments:

    [Moderation note: The rest of this post was deleted, since it had nothing to do with feature requests, nor anything whatsoever to do with "discourse regarding the use of NewTek products by those who own them" - see http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ation-Policies.]

  4. #4
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,478
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    I hope you are making feature requests through the system, and not just posting here. It doesn't seem like the devs see it otherwise. I like the idea.
    MOST of my Feature Request posts here are also posted thru the official "Make Feature Request" system in 2018. --There are many many dozens in the system. I post here in the, mostly vain, hope that other users will be able to add something to the request, or let me know that a given idea is totally bogus.

    I feel that plagiarizing the competitors' non-patented good ideas is a totally viable discussion topic, and judging by this thread, the moderators feel the same. Nothing wrong w/stealing good ideas, if it's legal (I'm gazing towards Adobe as I type this).

    "Gridiffying" is a constant (and nasty) chore here, and anything that would automate it would be a huge productivity boost. As noted, it's quite a bit different when you have a SPLINE and a DEFORMER, both mathematical constructs, versus our more polygonal situation in LWM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  5. #5
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    18,427
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I feel that plagiarizing the competitors' non-patented good ideas is a totally viable discussion topic, and judging by this thread, the moderators feel the same.
    The moderators have no view to offer re: your view.

    As an end user (and someone who works in UX), my only comment is that generally one should conform to norms unless your way of doing something is far better, or the thing itself is so novel that there are no norms. There are exceptions, but they should be just that, and able to be justified with a clear margin.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  6. #6
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,478
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The moderators have no view to offer re: your view.
    My meaning was: this thread has already experienced moderation, and the thread itself still exists.

    The various lacunae extant in all s/w, especially when compared to similar tools, is really interesting (to me). For instance, just so y'all don't think everybody else gets off easy, it seems (according to my queries) C4D (R17) makes it rather difficult to know how many points a given polygon has: IOW, there's nothing equivalent to LWM's INFO panels. --I find that downright weird. Now, it's possible that somewhere in the huge C4D edifice is a small room where one can find that out, but it does not seem to be common knowledge. So, anyway, LW/LWM wins there.

    But on topic: more, better gridiffying is welcome, however we get it.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    For instance, just so y'all don't think everybody else gets off easy, it seems (according to my queries) C4D (R17) makes it rather difficult to know how many points a given polygon has: IOW, there's nothing equivalent to LWM's INFO panels. --I find that downright weird. Now, it's possible that somewhere in the huge C4D edifice is a small room where one can find that out, but it does not seem to be common knowledge. So, anyway, LW/LWM wins there.
    (Taking the risk this is moderated out)

    The amount of polygons, points or whatever you desire are displayed right there in the Hud (since like forever), no need for any info panel.

    Then there's Mesh checking and the Structure view one click further btw, where I cannot only see every single point listed but the possibility to just change their values.
    Last edited by Marander; 05-07-2018 at 02:36 PM.

  8. #8
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    18,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    (Taking the risk this is moderated out)
    I was rather expecting someone to correct this, actually. Fair's fair.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I was rather expecting someone to correct this, actually. Fair's fair.
    Thanks Steve!

  10. #10
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The amount of polygons, points or whatever you desire are displayed right there in the Hud (since like forever), no need for any info panel.
    Not the same thing at all as the LWM STATS panel: you'd have to select polygons INDIVIDUALLY, and SHIFT-CLICK on Point Mode for each one. In short, a pita.

    Bzzzt!

    +++
    EDIT: Actually, the INFO panel is what I meant here. I like that static display, it's handy, I leave it open all the time.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  11. #11
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,478
    ANOTHER thing C4D doesn't seem to have is LW-Style symmetry, weak as it is. What they do have is a procedural Symmetry Object, which turns out not to be as cool as you might think.

    (Still a c4d rookie, so I may have some of this stuff wrong
    While LWM Symmetry only mirrors on the X axis, and only right at 0/0/0, it does allow an unusual (?) thing: ALMOST Symmetricality, or NEAR-Symmetricality. C4D's implementation only allows a perfect mirror (albeit, on 3 different planes), you can do crazy stuff in LWM because you can add things to one side that can be IGNORED by the other side.

    So, LW can do some tricks the slicker packages cannot.

    (I think LW style symmetry may be implemented for c4d via 3rd party plugins.)
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-08-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  12. #12
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    18,427
    Jeric, please limit yourself to your requests, without turning this into a critique of other platforms.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •