Thread: VLC Plugin query

VLC Plugin query

Yes I am a little confused (being an understatement)..... even around the VLC NDI plugin - I have installed VLC and the NewTek NDI tools, but there is no NewTek NDI VLC Plugin anywhere (I could see it during installation) - only the NewTek NDI VLC Plugin Instruction pdf (referring to the plugin that I can not find anywhere).. what do I miss here?

"Once installation is complete, the tools present on your system include the NewTek NDI VLC Plugin"

Kind regards
    Bent Rune
    Last edited by BRS; 05-06-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Yes I am a little confused (being an understatement)..... even around the VLC NDI plugin - I have installed VLC and the NewTek NDI tools, but there is no NewTek NDI VLC Plugin anywhere (I could see it during installation) - only the NewTek NDI VLC Plugin Instruction pdf (referring to the plugin that I can not find anywhere).. what do I miss here?

Kind regards
    Bent Rune
    With respect, I'm going to split this off into a different thread, to avoid confusion with the original question (which is quite different).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

As best I can recall, the "Getting Started with NDI" pdf should explain how to install the plugin. If not, I'm sure someone will chime in to help.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

What version of VLC Player are you using? The current NDI plug-in is compatible with VLC 2.x. If you are running VLC 3.x, it will not show up.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

When I found out - I downgraded VLC to 2.2.8.

The NDI plugin shows up on the 2.2.8. VLC, but as long as the VLC is installed on the same machine as the Telestrator - the Telestrator does not find it as an NDI source.

Kind regards
    Bent Rune

Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    When I found out - I downgraded VLC to 2.2.8.

The NDI plugin shows up on the 2.2.8. VLC, but as long as the VLC is installed on the same machine as the Telestrator - the Telestrator does not find it as an NDI source.

Kind regards
    Bent Rune
    Yes, I just noticed that. NDI Telestrator sees sources from external systems.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I have now used an extra machine, installed the NDI tools, and the telestrator can now find the NDI input.

The telestrator still will not show the full screen image on the telestrator screen, neither on the surface 4 Pro - nor the connected 16:9 Dell touchscreen (I have tried both with the default 2736x1824 and 1920x1080).

I have now used Newtek tools (no VMix involved), I can connect the test pattern like suggested (example enclosed), but the issue is still there - are there any other suggestions (ps remember the output screen has made a correct output, and I am using the test version) or could this be a bug on the NDI Telestrator?

Kind regards
    Bent Rune

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skærmbillede (1081).png 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	141619

I might be some sort of high DPI issue ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Perhaps it is....

I scaled down from 200% to 100% - but it is still the same issue.

I guess the next move is to get a new machine for the Telestrator, but it is a bit strange though as it sounds like other people have used Surface for this (but that might have been before the move to 3:2)

If a new machine is the solution - it could still be relevant to hear if there is more spec. things to be aware of - other than what is mentioned on the NewTek page for the Telestrator (I think even the Surface have those recommended specs) - specially if the source used is sport video and the video quality for output is very important?

ps. With a new Machine - will it work then (I mean - does it really work with a full screen image on the Telestrator screen or is this just my wishful thinking)?

Kind regards
    Bent Rune
    Last edited by BRS; 05-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Here's NDI Telestrator running in windowed mode and fullscreen on my second monitor, In the first image, you can see the 16:9 source on Studio Monitor at upper left. (Please forgive the nasty imagery, our cleaning lady is very short, and can't reach the top of that cabinet)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele_01.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	141620 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele_02.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	141621
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve, you could of pointed the camera at the life size Boba Fett over by customer support!
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

You don't mess with Boba Fett.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator