Thread: ??? lwm TAB not equal to "Subpatch" now???

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question ??? lwm TAB not equal to "Subpatch" now???

Am I just hallucinating, or is TAB not the default SUBPATCH command?

My install says "*S", which doesn't seem right. TAB is unassigned...
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Working here. s is Save Object. S (which would be SHift s) is incremental Save Object.

Perhaps you accidentally changed your keys? I'd try just resetting to default.

It should be. There are two subpatchs now though - Toggle Faces and Toggle Subpatchs. Toggle Subpatches used to be called G-Toggle something or other on LW11 -2015. It's the one I prefer as it toggles everything and not just the selected.

Actually, just checked, and all the way the back through 9.6UB* (pre-Cocoa, on Mac), if there was a polygon selection when TAB was pressed, only those faces were toggled. 2018 appears to behave same as prior in that regard.

*: I checked 2015.3, 11.6.3, 11.0, 10.1, 9.6.1, and 9.6UB.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Actually, just checked, and all the way the back through 9.6UB* (pre-Cocoa, on Mac), if there was a polygon selection when TAB was pressed, only those faces were toggled. 2018 appears to behave same as prior in that regard.

*: I checked 2015.3, 11.6.3, 11.0, 10.1, 9.6.1, and 9.6UB.
    Yep that is the default setting for Tab. I really liked the G-Toggle when it was introduced and now set up every install to use that method.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Working here. s is Save Object. S (which would be SHift s) is incremental Save Object.
    "*S" denotes "ALT+S".

Anyway, I reassigned TAB to "global subpatch toggle". --I never could remember "G-Toggle" -what genius came up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    It should be. There are two subpatchs now though - Toggle Faces and Toggle Subpatchs. Toggle Subpatches used to be called G-Toggle something or other on LW11 -2015. It's the one I prefer as it toggles everything and not just the selected.
    Lawdy.... Seriously, who the heck is in charge of nomenclature?

{sarcasm: ON} Is there not enough room to for "Global"??? /sarc
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 04-15-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks jeric - I didn't know G stood for Global. I'm serious! I do like how it works though and I wish I could get my Modo 601 to work like that too. At the bottom row of Modeler I have a button for Toggle faces as that makes it handy for special cases.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Thanks jeric - I didn't know G stood for Global. I'm serious!
    And my question ("what genius...") was serious, although totally sarcastic, too. I mean, COME ON. That is one rubbish name. SOMEBODY made it.
    I do like how it works though and I wish I could get my Modo 601 to work like that too. At the bottom row of Modeler I have a button for Toggle faces as that makes it handy for special cases.
    Oh, "global subpatch toggle" is great: rarely do I ever use the selection specific "Set Subpatch". Occasionally I use it to get the entire mesh back into sync, usually after I've hid a bunch of faces.

While I usually, once I'm in a time where I use LWM often, run roughshod over the Menu structure, I've never messed w/the bottom row.

One custom (I think) hotkey I've made is "Convert to Points Selection" (from Selection), that one gets a lot of use. Whether I made it or not, it's "ALT+G".

Thanks jeric - I didn't know G stood for Global. I'm serious! I do like how it works though and I wish I could get my Modo 601 to work like that too. At the bottom row of Modeler I have a button for Toggle faces as that makes it handy for special cases.
    There are several scripts available that do this or you could probably use a macro to do the same and assign it to a shortcut or even replace the tab key shortcut with the behavior.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I know zip about Modo, but I assume you could script it by: saving the current selection set, select all, subpatch, deselect, and reselect the saved set.

You can definitely script it, i know of at least two scripts that already do it. But i was even thinking simpler which is modo allows you to save a series of actions (macro), bundle that into a tool and map a shorcut key to it so even if you dont script, anyone can make their own tools that way.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It would be nice if Modeler had such a facility. Layout pretty much does, although people don't talk about it much.

It would seem that at a low level, Layout is a "command" driven app, which makes it easy to expose it's machinations to users. Modeler seems to lack that same approach, and that's why we don't see an equivalent to LS Commander in Modeler. Maybe. --Damn aggravating though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    It would be nice if Modeler had such a facility.
    Yes it would, Photoshop and others have been doing it for years so it's time for Modeler to get that too. -Won't happen in my lifetime.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If Modeler had been modernized at version 4, it would have been feasible. Now there's so much nasty kruft in there...