Thread: Maya Model converted to LightWave doesn't show UV map

Maya Model converted to LightWave doesn't show UV map

I'm using LW 2018 and have a Maya converted model (.lwo). It is a detailed human male figure. The mesh loads perfectly, but when I send it to Layout and the UV map doesn't automatically show up.

It's a bit strange, because instead of having a body surface to link the UV map to, there 7 surfaces for different things (cornea, eye, head, underwear, then three other things with odd names).

I need a suggestion.

Thank you.

What do you mean by the uv doesn't show up? If you go into Modeler and check your uvs are there any in the model? You probably need to rebuild the textures.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

I'm new to LW, but I have loaded models in different formats before. Generally, if the model has a UV map and you send it to Layout, it often will show up immediately. In other words, the whole body will be textured. Other times, you have to select the body surface, and then link to the UV map. However, this time, none of those things work.

Yes, the model has a UV map. But, I will take your suggestion and go back to Modeler and check.

I've got the same problem with a model from 3Dsmax.
    It was an FBX.
    UV in it but modeler don't show it.
    I used Polytrans to convert to lwo.

Thanks, I will look at Polytrans.

Are you sure you just don't need to hook stuff up? It stands to reason that a Maya export wouldn't understand the LW2018 surfacing info on export.

Yes, I think you are right. I am just new to LW, so I'm just learning what to do in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Are you sure you just don't need to hook stuff up? It stands to reason that a Maya export wouldn't understand the LW2018 surfacing info on export.
    If all that's being exported is UV maps and textures, though, Maya doesn't need to understand LW surfacing. LW used to be pretty good at sorting out UVs and textures at import, depending on format, but maybe that's changed.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by gridman144 View Post
    I'm new to LW, but I have loaded models in different formats before. Generally, if the model has a UV map and you send it to Layout, it often will show up immediately. In other words, the whole body will be textured. Other times, you have to select the body surface, and then link to the UV map. However, this time, none of those things work.

Yes, the model has a UV map. But, I will take your suggestion and go back to Modeler and check.
    What revision of LW2018 are you using? If not 2018.0.3, it should be. Also, what version of Maya did you use to export the LWO?

When you brought the LWO into LW2018, were you asked about "converting" it? How exactly did you respond to that dialog?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I have this worked out now and wanted to post the details.

First off, there was no surface defined as "body" in the surface editor. The converted LightWave model I received came with an .mtl file, but the body surface wasn't specified in it. Maya 2012 was used initially. I purchased this model, so I didn't have anything to do with it initially. I can model and animate in LW, but needed an accurate male figure and it was beyond my skill level at the moment.

I selected the body mesh and defined a surface. The eyes had corneas (spheres) all around them, so I had to just select each eye and give it a surface name. After that, I was able to set the whole body UV map as the texture for the body surface. I also set the eye texture for both eyes. But, here was the main trick I didn't realize.

The detailed targa textures only showed up when I applied them to surfaces that were Principled BSDF. This may be obvious to others, but I'm new so it wasn't to me.

Now, everything looks great. And yes, I'm using 2018.0.3.

Thanks for the help.