Thread: Bolt and screw panel

Bolt and screw panel

Has anyone tried the new screw generator panel on a Mac? How buggy is this 2018 update on the modeler side? What about rendering 2015 scene files? Is there a ton of changes you need to make? Thanks.

Hi Tony

I have try very quickly the screw generator (QuickBold v3.12) on mac, and for me it suffer form being non interactive.
    You have to know exactly the parameter you want or redo.You can load the demo version to try.

For me and for now, 2018 Modeler is stable and a little better with managing High polygons count than the 2015.
    But no really new things on that side.

For 2015 scene rendering I have not try but there is a tutorial in the 2018 docs :
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...scenes+to+2018
    It seems there some works to do, specially with scenes containing a lot of surfaces and lights.

Sounds like they just bought that screw plugin from the guy who developed it, and just threw it in the package without tweaking it at all. I tried that plugin from him, and it did the same thing. Works much better on the Windows side. Really getting discussed with Lightwave’s way of doing things lately. I mean why just take a plugin, which at one time actually ran well on a Mac, and just add it to the mix broken? Really thinking of just moving to Blender, and being done with it! Been a Lightwave user since version 5, but have really had enough at this point. I don’t know.

I've encountered some stability problems with it on Mac LW2018.01 as well, haven't had time to check if 2018.02 fixed the issues.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Really not sure it’s worth upgrading Lightwave anymore. Going to really have to think about this one.

think I’m going to take a real good look at Blender. So far modeling tools seem very fast, and I haven’t had one crash yet.
    Last edited by Tony3d; 03-19-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony3d View Post
    think I’m going to take a real good look at Blender. So far modeling tools seem very fast, and I haven’t had one crash yet.
    I started to learn blender in nov-dec 2017 and its only been great fun. Just try to be open and learn a couple of keyboard shortcuts and you’ll notice that there are a lot of nice and fast workflows in blender. After 20 years in LW and only a couple of month in blender I now see LW as cumbersome with many slow workflows.

Edit: not everything, some things LW also do better and faster than Blender, just not that many.

I’m very impressed with it so far, and it just seems to work. The interface takes a bit of getting use to, but I think it’s worth the effort! Not sure yet how much Lightwave really has over Blender if anything.

Plenty of appropriate places online to talk about Blender. This is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Plenty of appropriate places online to talk about Blender. This is not one of them.
    I think you have an appropriate "report" button if you feel this post shouldn't be on LightWave's forums...
    Or maybe are you a moderator, in which case just do what you have to, otherwise I see NO reason to act as a "policeman" here?

lw_b, is it not so much acting as a policeman as it is a polite way to encourage on-topic discussion. When threads go awry, they get locked or deleted and any useful information or continuing dialog is lost.

To be fair, not even Blender or Maya were created with a bolt/screw function. All these programs rely on add-ons, created by users, thanks to the programs' extensible architecture.

None of this is new. See also:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....s-for-Your-Use
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....d-Feature-Poll
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.