Thread: Newtek Spark Baseball Venue

Newtek Spark Baseball Venue

Question about the Newtek Spark system: If we want to run a camera out in the middle of centerfield at our baseball stadium, where that camera is set up would have to be on the same wireless network as the other unit that would be in our press box?

So this wireless system is necessarily like a transmitter and a receiver. It's more like two converter boxes that can talk to each other, but only if they are both of the same wireless network. Do I have that correct?

Sounds about right to my understanding. Instead of being a point A to point b its NDI which is a what ever to what ever on the same subnet. You can jump subnets with some configuration I believe. As long as both the Spark and your receiver, a Tricaster or something else that can take in NDI then you should be good to go, even if one is wireless and the other wired etc.

You don't need a second Spark to decode the NDI signal (nor would it work that way), you just need a switcher or other device (laptop, software, etc) that can see an NDI signal. A Spark will work with Tricaster, or OBS, or any number of other software packages (using Virtual Camera). They're pretty cool.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Hi Simpson805,

Do you have a TriCaster and if so, which model?

Also, if at all possible, you'd want to use wired network for Spark and not rely on WiFi, but it can work.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Do you have a TriCaster and if so, which model?

Also, if at all possible, you'd want to use wired network for Spark and not rely on WiFi, but it can work.s
    We have a TC1. And I'm not sure if we can run an ethernet wire to the centerfield fence. Behind centerfield is a storage facility and next to that is a parking garage. I'm going out there today to see if there is any wireless connection and test how strong the signal is.

I almost think I will have to rely on Wifi though.

I'm definitely not a WiFi expert, but in dealing with other users who are using WiFi, I believe what you will need is a WiFi "access point" that is nearer the camera so you're not trying to use WiFi across the stadium. Something like offered by Ubiquity Networks? Just a name I am familiar with, maybe someone else here can expand on that stuff.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

I've been looking at AE and NDI for the past week. I own a TriCasrer 860 and am curious as to what equipment I'd need to add to my 860 that would allow me to use a Spark for my fifth camera and something like the Titler from NewBlueFX? I believe I'd at least need AE installed on my 860.

Currently, I'm producing High School football for delayed broadcast locally and College Football for both delayed and sometimes "live" broadcast. For delayed broadcast, I simply do all my graphics in post-production. Well, except for my score bug. I do it during the game. The only thing missing that I wish I could access is the stadium clock which runs on the DakTronics screens. BTW, I supply all live video for the stadium screens.

It's my understanding that the DakTronics stadium Tricaster, TC455, is running on it's own network and not on the stadium's network.

Do I need my own router or, provided the stadium would allow me to access their DakTronics network, could I simply connect to DakTronics to get info into NewBluFX's titler to obtain the clock in real time?

I'm not a network guy and am uncertain what to do If I were to start using NDI? I believe I'd need some sort of NewTek interface to get NDI connection into my TC860, even if I buy AE. Is that correct?

I might also want to add more inputs than I currently have.

Now, as for the cost...right now, if I just wanted to add another camera to the four I'm currently using and dismissed the idea of having access to the clock, I could spend around $1500 to $2000 to buy a wireless transmitter and receiver that would get me a signal from my fifth camera pretty much anywhere inside the two stadiums I usually work in. That's about what I'm looking at to upgrade to AE, without having to buy any NDI connectivity. Am I right about this?

Man, I wish I could go to NAB this year but It looks like I'm working during the event.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

BTW, LiveText seems to be able to obtain the stadium clock. Why won't the built-in version of LiveText access the clock, or will it?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey View Post
    BTW, LiveText seems to be able to obtain the stadium clock. Why won't the built-in version of LiveText access the clock, or will it?
    The built-in LT software is only for creating title assets "offline" and cannot be used in any regard during LIVE productions.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

But, but, but I can update my score bug in real time so I would assume that if i could plug in the DakTronics clock that it would update in real time. I've never figured out how to interface with the Dak clock but assumed if I could it would work.

I may be thinking about this all wrong. I DO have to move to the edit pane to change a score, but once i do, the score on screen updates.

Well, anyway, I know it doesn't seem to work cause i can't find a way to interface to the Dak clock.

What about my NDI and AE questions concerning the Spark, NewBlueFX and my 860?
    Last edited by bbailey; 02-26-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

"What about my NDI and AE questions concerning the Spark, NewBlueFX and my 860?"

I'd answered but apparently accidentally later deleted that content when responding to LT query, sorry!

The 860 - or any TriCaster with SE software - can accept 2 NDI sources at once, using the NET1 and NET2 inputs. So that would accommodate 1 camera via Spark, and an NDI title from NewBlue. If you add AE Upgrade, you would then have a total of 12 inputs available on the 860. Could be 12 NDI, or any combination of SDI and NDI, like 8 SDI and 4 NDI, or 4 SDI and 8 NDI, etc.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Wow! So I can use NDI without any kind of extra interface? I'm looking at NewBlueFX "SPORT" software which says I can interface to my TriCaster through NewTek Datalink. How does that work?
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs

You can test NDI right now for free. Download the Newtek NDI Tools Pack and install on another PC on same network as TriCaster. Run the NDI Scan Converter or NDI Test Patterns to output NDI, then try and access the NDI feed using NET 1 on TC 860. Titler Live 3 Sport says it can OUTPUT NDI, so the title overlay from that software would come into TC as NDI using NET input. As for using DataLink as an INPUT into Titler software, not quite sure what that means.

NDI Tools available halfway down page on left - https://www.newtek.com/ndi/applications/

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera