Thread: Understanding LWCad Nurbs and Patches

Understanding LWCad Nurbs and Patches

So I went through all the lightwave cad 5 videos a few times and I still can't figure out how to make a simple patch. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what a patch is in LWCad. Lofting was easy enough but I feel it doesn't give quite the amount of control I need. In one video I see a grid of splines already made ( I guess with the line tool?) and then I see patches begin drawn easily like a smart edit loft. . . I don't understand how the splines were connected in order to make the patch.

Any hints are appreciated thanks!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

1. Draw 3 or 4 LWcad curves that share common end points.
    2. Use LWcad Join command. In past versions I don't think this was required but now the patch command does not always work if you don't use join first.
    3. Use the patch tool to select edges in order.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwcad_patch2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	140085
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwcad_patch.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	140084  

wow thanks, I can actually work with this now. Surprising I didn't see anything like that in the manual or on youtube. Lofting between two patches works too. . .as it should. What I was doing was trying to patch with a single spline path in the shape of a square when in fact you need four separate paths joined together. Then I can create a four sided nurbs patch.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Hi again, is there a way to sew patches together other than with just a loft operation? I know I can create patches on three sided gaps though.

Hi Jason, Here is a link that shows putting together a track ball model with LWcad 5.0. In version 5.0 you could use unconnected curves and edges of other patches as boarders for a new patch as long as the end points overlapped. I don't seem to be able to get that to work or at least not consistently in version 5.5. You can use the Surface to Curve command and then the Explode command to extract curves from edges of patches and then join them up into new closed shapes to make boarder patch area. I should report this as a bug but I haven't used LWcad enough that it has bothered me.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1451605

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    In version 5.0 you could use unconnected curves and edges of other patches as boarders for a new patch as long as the end points overlapped. I don't seem to be able to get that to work or at least not consistently in version 5.5.
    You really should let Viktor know about that, ASAP.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti