Thread: FIber FX, morphs & Dynamics

FIber FX, morphs & Dynamics

Anyone have a solution to get fiberfx to work with morphs and dynamics (A character's beard has secondary motion while walking and talking?) This was easy to do in Sasquatch but since sasquatch doesn't work in 2018 I would like to find a solution thats works in 2018.

https://youtu.be/6fE_YAy3n4c

I guess its not possible in 2018... why go through the effort of updating fiber fx if the team can't even manage to compete with 10 year old technology (see link above)? It looks like its time to move on to Houdini

create a Bias map,

there aren't any tutorials on it i think, what you do is >
    create beard in Modeler FiberFX, make sure the object is not lowres, make sure to use enough Fibers.
    once done in Modeler FiberFX, a bias map will be created.

use that bias map in layout, and hair/beard should follow Dynamics/Morphs nicely. (in theory at least)

edit; some hints >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOWq2rsMaVU
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Sorry, it's been a while since I've done anything like that so the info below may contain inaccuracies. I don't time have to check my info at the moment but maybe this will give you some ideas.

Anway, it depends on how you're 'growing' and animating the fibers. If the guides are surface based or created with Edit Guides, the fibers should just follow with the face morph. If the guides are modeled, you should use Bullet Dynamics to make them move.

Are you trying to apply a morph to the guides before Bullet Dynamics? I haven't tried this in 2018 yet but in 2015 (or 11.x,) I remember applying the morph or mdd via a node and then setting the Node Displacement Order to Before World (or something like that.) I don't think I did that with hair guides but it was a cloth sim using Deforming so I think it should work. (Or, for LightWave 2018, it might be some variation of that anyway.)

I don't think using Morph Mixer before Bullet works so maybe you need to bake the face morphs to MDD first and then apply that in a node. Bullet can be slow to work with MDDs though.

(Note that this might be different in 2018 since we have a lot more flexibility for displacement order now. Ugh...now I want to test that myself but will have to wait till after I get home.)

Question: What are you using the morph for? If it's for correcting the dynamics displacement, like for fixing fiber penetration problems, I would probably use Chronosculpt or SoftFX to edit the guides after baking the animation.

If you're seeing a lot of issues with fiber penetration, I would just make a few rigid (non-deforming) collision objects parented to the bones to prevent the guides from doing that. This is faster than using deforming meshes as collision objects, and I mean A LOT FASTER.

Edit: I just saw your animation. That's a cool character.

Anyway, how are the guides set up? Is that layout or externally modeled guides?*

*The reason I ask is because if the guides come from another program, like ZBrush FiberMesh for example, you may be able to bake the character's morph map to the guides. I've done this using DrainBGVmap in older x32 LightWave. This doesn't work for 2018 of course.

For LightWave 2018, there is a tool in the OD Tools plugins that does the same thing. I haven't used it for hair guides yet but it worked for some simple tests I did a couple of months ago.

There is also Weighter 2 from Liberty 3D. I liked this tool when it first came out but I personally haven't been able to get it to work correctly in LW 2015.3 or LW 2018, at least not after I switched to Windows 10. Kat says it works for him though, so you're mileage may vary.

Thanks for the help... I'll play a bit and let you know if I can find a solution