Thread: Sienna NDI Outlet Multi - 8 Channel NDI to SDI Converter

Sienna NDI Outlet Multi - 8 Channel NDI to SDI Converter

New Today :
    Sienna NDI Outlet Multi - Software for macOS and BlackMagic Design interfaces like Duo 2 and Quad 2.
    - Allows up to 8 Channels of NDI to SDI conversion on a single mac, depending on hardware.
    - Supports NDI and NDI | HX
    - Appliance-type operation - set and forget, for seamless integration of NDI into your SDI workflow.
    - Available today from the app store at a special price of USD $199

What are the Mac hardware system requirements to decode 8 channels of NDI? I assume you would run the Quad 2 in a Thunderbolt expansion box.
    Nick Nokes

Gear used:
    Tricasters (460, 455, 300)
    Timewarp TW-42
    Cameras (Sony NX5U's, Panasonic PTZ's)

Quote Originally Posted by cuspclub View Post
    What are the Mac hardware system requirements to decode 8 channels of NDI? I assume you would run the Quad 2 in a Thunderbolt expansion box.
    Typically, yes, although some of the testing here has been done with an old silver MacPro tower which actually works extremely well.
    We are doing some testing with 8 channels in a Sonnet expansion Chassis on a top-spec MacBook Pro tomorrow and we will share the results.

For 8 channels you are going to need a fairly high spec computer, but the software works equally well on 4 channels systems with more modest performance.

I actually have a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 (dual 2.26 xeon Nehalem era) that I would love to repurpose to this if you think it's up to the task. It has a GT120 and 32gb of ram. Any opinion on if you think that would work? Any SDI card recommendations?
    Nick Nokes

Gear used:
    Timewarp TW-42

I actually have a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 (dual 2.26 xeon Nehalem era) that I would love to repurpose to this if you think it's up to the task. It has a GT120 and 32gb of ram. Any opinion on if you think that would work? Any SDI card recommendations?
    Actually.....
    One of our test systems is:
    MacPro 5.1 (its actually a 4,1 with forced firmware to 5,1 so it can run newer macOS)
    2 x Quad Xeon 2.66GHz (8 Cores)
    32 GB Ram
    GTX680 (although video card is NOT relevant to performance here, unless decoding NDI | HX with hardware acceleration on, so GT120 should be ok)
    DeckLink DUO 2 (4 Channels)
    This machine handles 4 channels of regular NDI via NDI Outlet Multi quite nicely, with some headroom to spare. We haven't really tested with HX.
    We have not tested with 8 channels, but we might have a chance to do that later this week.
    This demo video was made on that machine.

The NDI Outlet Software requires macOS 10.10.5 or later which should run on a 4,1.
    I think this could be a *great* application for these older Macs.

There is a demo version of NDI Outlet Multi at the website, so if you have a DeckLink card knocking around why not try it.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try if I can round up an extra Decklink card
    Nick Nokes

Gear used:
    Timewarp TW-42

Latest testing:

MacBook Pro 2016 : 2.7GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB Ram
    Sonnet Echo Express SE1 Chassis with BlackMagic 8 Channel Quad 2 PCI Card.
    Sienna NDI Outlet Multi
    Results:
    Testing shows that this configuration is comfortable in a 4 Channel output setup (might as well use the 4 channel Duo 2 card).
    Most of the load is the NDI Decompression. It would just about do 5 Channels but probably pushing it a little.
    There is no bottleneck on the Thunderbolt, or the SDI BMD side.

So for 8 Channels its going to take a faster machine, like one of the new iMac Pros, or a MacPro.
    We have a top spec trashcan MacPro which we will test later this week to establish 8 Channel performance metrics.
    We will also test SDI to NDI in the same configurations using Sienna NDI Source Multi, and the also to try an older Quad i7 3.0 Ghz MacMini from 2011

In Summary, 4 Channels of NDI to SDI from a Laptop is pretty handy.

More news as it comes.